BigAl's slow chronicle . . .

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I have a mag9 on my 90 and wish it was bigger. I get away with it becasue I have 2 Ecotech Vortech pumps for flow. If and when I need a new return pump I will get a bigger one.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I have a mag9 on my 90 and wish it was bigger. I get away with it becasue I have 2 Ecotech Vortech pumps for flow. If and when I need a new return pump I will get a bigger one.

This isn't a bad thing Scott.
The in-sump skimmers especially the needlewheel type aren't as efficient if there's a high flow though there. Also with a more powerful pump micro-bubbles can be a real PITA.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Glad to get some affirmation from one with your experience. Thanks Cheeks! Does that help Al?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That helps tremendously! I hadn't even pondered in-line or sump. I guess I just assumed it would be an actual in-sump unit but in-line would help in water temp issues wouldn't it?

I'm off to do some pump research and work on my budget spread sheet :)

Allen :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
That will work just fine BigAl. I made my own and you could also. I needed a bit more for stand pipes then the norm because of my coast to coast overflow. But with a standard overflow that one you have is just fine.

Frankie

RS STAFF
The In sump or Inline depends on weather the sump is drilled or not. If it is drilled with a bulk head in the side you can go Inline. Or you can have it drilled for this reason. If not then it looks like your going in sump.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
thanks FFrankie :)

The sump isn't drilled. It's a 29g glass tank with baffles already attached and on one end there is an elevated area with "egg-crate". So I guess it's an in-sump pump I need as opposed to in-line. Would yall venture to guess that the elevated area with egg-crate is for the return pump or skimmer? I think there's a vague picture of it but at the time it was still covered with the blue protective skin.

Allen

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I would guess the skimmer...what size is the bulkheads ? That will be important to know so that we can recommend which pump to use and how many gph it can handle.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I would guess the skimmer...what size is the bulkheads ? That will be important to know so that we can recommend which pump to use and how many gph it can handle.

A rough measure comes up with 1x 1 3/4" and 1x 1 1/2"

why different sizes? wouldn't I want both to be the same or would I want the return to be larger just in case?

Allen

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Al, Just so you are aware the MAgs can be internal or external

Thanks Jack. I would like to keep it external to cut down on heat transfer into the water. So I could use a MAG and have a pick-up/grate in the sump coming up to the Mag (remote mounted) and then piped back up into the bottom of the tank.

Also Jack what do you do for standpipe issues? Do you make your own?

Allen

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I just asked you about that on the ther tread it really depends on the size of the overflow & the retun if they are standard 1" & 3/4" I use the All Glass premaid if not I do make them

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
thanks Jack. That's what I'll do. Tomorrow I'll get a more accurate measurement on what it came with and make a decision from there. I would rather use a pre-made one (more likely to work) but if I gotta head to the plumbing store I can as long as I can get everything I need there. I may call GlassCages and see what they offer as well.

Thanks a ton Jack! Can't wait to see you new project coming along more :)

Allen

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I just went and re-measured and they are much larger than the standard AGA 1" & 3/4" size so I need to get a materials list together and head to Lowes (grrrrrr).

Allen