BigAl's slow chronicle . . .

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok here's the low down. I have the tank being built by Glasscages.com - Home and am supposed to meet them for delivery on Saturday Sept 1st (this coming Saturday). It's a 90 long Reef Ready (48" tank) with an included 29g (30x12 1/2 x 17 tall) sump tank.

This will be my first attempt at anything on this scale in a single tank. I'll have to take it slow and research EVERYTHING I need to incorporate into this system. So this will be a slow and ever changing build.

I'm going to start a chronicle here to get ideas and also to be able to look back and see how the finished project compares to what I now have in mind.

I am having a local custom cabinet designer build the stand and attached cabinet for it. It will be an "L" shaped unit with full height cabinets on the left side. He's decided to make it "modular" so that when I build our new home and we move into it the stand unit is modifiable. The cabinet unit is designed in a way that it comes off the left side and can be mounted on the right side if needed. Or it can be taken off completely and not used. He's incorporating removalble trim panels that can either be attached to the cabinet unit or to the sides of the stand. What an awesome idea. He's building the canopy to be modular so that any lighting I decide can be mounted in a number of different ways.

I am planning a sump/fuge in the 29g but I won't be able to make any purchases until I have the tanks in hand and can then see what's needed.

I want a good skimmer and have been reading a lot. I think I will probably go for an Octopus skimmer in the sump. Which one should I get and why?

For lights I am trying to be smart and go ahead and get the lights I want to have long term on this tank. I was thinking of a MH retro kit but then I like the idea of an all inclusive unit and may opt for Current USA 48 inch 250W HQI Outer Orbit with T5s & 250W HQI Bulbs . I like the idea of being able to house any coral I would like and will possibly have a clam later in the game. Thoughts?

Attached is a pic the cabinet builder just sent me of the cabinet thus far.. it's still in the rough stages but it's a good start...

Attachments

• Stand01_20.JPG
    Stand01_20.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 3,423

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Great start Al, Let the cabinet builder know the wieght will be between 900-1000#. The current retro kit is a nice kit. You do know my recommedation though LEDs. :) I would look in to a chiller for you retro kit though.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Follow along but note it's going to go slow... I don't plan on even adding WATER until I have EVERY piece of equipment in hand and ready to go. No rush (at least not yet :lol:).

Jack, when we started estimating this project we were actually looking at a larger tank and I gave him an approximate weight of 1500+ #'s so he's building to that spec which should be on the safe side. His reputation for OVER building is a highlight to My using him on this one.That's why he's using solid lumber for all of the structure and will be "skinning" the unit for looks once it's a functional unit.

Yes I have seriously looked into and discussed the LED light fixture for this unit but have decided to wait and put THAT kind of equipment into our BIG tank once we build the house.

A chiller is a possibility for sure. It's on the equipment list but it's still under the "maybe" category for now.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
With that tank being 24" deep would I be ok with dual 150 MH or does it NEED 250's?

Current USA 48 inch Outer Orbit with T5s & 150W HQI Bulbs for $722

or move up to

Current USA 48 inch 250W HQI Outer Orbit with T5s & 250W HQI Bulbs for $841

both units have 2x54w Actinic 460nm / 2x54w Actinic 420nm and include 9 blue leds/9 white leds moon lights. So the only difference is dual 150's or dual 250's and about $120

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Bob did you link it to the emergency bat phone so that where ever you are you'll be notified by a bat emblem in the sky?:lol:

BEELZEBOB

no, its a five leafed plant, and my fatbob outfit is white, purple and green

fatbob to the rescue,

cough:lurk:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
With that tank being 24" deep would I be ok with dual 150 MH or does it NEED 250's?

Current USA 48 inch Outer Orbit with T5s & 150W HQI Bulbs for $722

or move up to

Current USA 48 inch 250W HQI Outer Orbit with T5s & 250W HQI Bulbs for $841

both units have 2x54w Actinic 460nm / 2x54w Actinic 420nm and include 9 blue leds/9 white leds moon lights. So the only difference is dual 150's or dual 250's and about $120

Ok I think I made up my own mind. I am going to opt for the 250's due to my tank being 24" deep.

Allen

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF

If you plan on getting Tridacnids then the 250's would be my choice.

So what pump would the "masses" suggest I use to get the water back UP to the tank?

Will you use an in-line or in-sump pump ? If in-sump then the Eheim 1260 or MAG 9 would be a good option but it'll depend on how big your bulkheads will be. If in-line then I would suggest a Gen-X PCX40 or the Little Giant - 3-MDQ-SC Inline Pump.

If your set on the Octopus skimmer then for your sized tank I would get the 150 recirculating needlewheel skimmer.

BTW love the cabinetry work !

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks Robert. I am so excited about it too. Can't wait to see it completed. I was hoping it would be done by this weekend but he's going out of town Thursday so maybe next weekend.

Yes it's 250's for sure now. If they made a 400w I'd go that route but they don't in that fixture (that I can find anyway).I plan on it being an In-sump type of filter. It's all still in the PLANNING stages so I am of course open to suggestions.

Again thanks a ton.

Allen :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks Scott. My wife and I want to make this the tank that makes everyone say, "OMG! We gotta have one of those!" Right now everyone comes in and bends down to get a better look at our 10g tank but this one will be much more eye-level and Eye Catching! The MH lights should really add some Wow-Factor. Maybe by 2010 I'll have sand and rock in it. By 2015 maybe even water :lol:

Again thanks.

Allen

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Yeah, I never understood why aquarium manufacturers make the stands as short as they do. When my wife and I were shopping, that was our biggest complaint. Reef tanks are a work of art and should be viewed at eye level. Even with my 90 Oceanic tank you have to bend over to get a good look. We need to rally for higher stands!