Search results

1. Ratpack

Help with Derasa

This is the first Derasa that I have tried to keep. It looks different in my tank than it did at the store. There it was very open and full. It has been in my tank since Dec 21 and below is what it looks like now. It appears to be opening more lately, but I am concerned that the mantle is shrunk...
  2. Ratpack

Need ID please

Can anyone ID these two corals? I got them for a steal at LFS and they couldn't tell me what they are, but the colors are really great. The first one almost looks like two different corals.
  3. Ratpack

Frag or not?

Here is a photo of a Cali tort I have and it is growing kind of crazy. When I bought it, it looked almost like a tree. Now the branches are starting to form from the base and the top, but the middle is still one big stalk. My concern is no light in that area due to shading. Should I frag off the...
  4. Ratpack

Can I use pickling lime to nuke corals?

I have some mushrooms that are getting out of hand and starting to encroach on some other corals that I care more for. Can I use Mrs Wages pickling lime to nuke them and if so, what is the proper mix. I only plan to do one or two at a time so I don't impact the chemistry of the tank. I should...
  5. Ratpack

Very cool even if only temporary

I made a discovery this morning as I was looking over my tank. I just happened to look into the overflow just to see how things were in there and to my surprise, I saw baby fish swimming around. I assume my clowns have spawned and these are some of the hatchlings. It was very cool to see, but...
  6. Ratpack

Reef Radiance settings

Hi all, I have a set of DM155e's over my 75 gallon tank. They are about 10" off the water and most of my SPS corals are about 6" below water surface. I am trying to figure out if I have them set too high and if that may be part of no polyp extension on my corals. I have PE at night, but very...
  7. Ratpack

Crazy skimmer?

What would cause a skimmer to all of a sudden overflow? I can set it where I want it and it will run fine for days and sometimes a week or more, but then for whatever reason, overnight it will overflow and fill the cup and keep going. Luckily it is a sump model so the water just goes back in...
  8. Ratpack

Thoughts on dimming lighting

I currently run two of the Reef Radiance DM155e's over my 75 gal tank. The lights are about 15 inches off the water in order to get a good spread of light. Everything seems fine and I am running them at 70% blue and 60% white and other colors. A lot of my SPS which are closest to the light...
  9. Ratpack

How long can tank go without skimmer?

I need to take the sump offline for a few days in order to determine if I have a leak or just a mishap. Some background as to why. I saw some water around the base of the stand the other morning and cannot figure out where it came from. It had salt in it so I know it isn't the ATO tank. I...
  10. Ratpack

Lighting Cheato 24/7 - Good or bad?

I have seen set ups do light their macros both ways. Some have it lit on an opposite schedule from the DT and there are some that light it 24/7. What are the pros and cons of each? Currently I have mine on the opposite schedule from DT to help with PH, but would I be better lighting it more...
  11. Ratpack

Is it harmful to corals to stir the sand?

I can't really vacuum my sand as it pulls too much out of the tank. So I thought perhaps to keep it cleaner, outside the Nass. snails and other CUC members, I would stir it up as I am doing a water change and then run a sock afterwards for awhile. Also considered just putting a sock on...
  12. Ratpack

Birdsnest vs Acro

I have both in my tank and the birdsnest was showing great color, however the acros where very light in color. So taking some advice from other reefers, I upped my feedings of the tank and corals. Now the acros are coloring up more, but the birdsnest appears to be more brown than green. Does...
  13. Ratpack

Advice on Alk level

My tank is at 8dkh currently and I am trying to keep it as stable as possible. It has been up to 11dkh. Since 8 is closer to NSW, I would think it would be better, but my fresh saltwater is measuring 10.5 dkh. Would it be better to shoot for that number so there is no ups and downs or will...
  14. Ratpack

ID please!

Can anyone ID this frag? The LFS was not sure but thought it was a yellow or green tort.
  15. Ratpack

Question on green slimer

I moved my green slimer this week as it was getting close to being impacted by my purple cap which is growing at a much faster rate. While trying to remove it from the plg so I could mount it to the rock, I broke off two small pieces that appeared to be where it was trying to encrust, but since...
  16. Ratpack

Do you need sand in fuge for pods?

I have a fuge section in my sump and a large ball of cheato tumbling in it. Do I need to add sand or will pods just live in the cheato and breed? I really don't want sand in there, but if it helps the pod population, then I can do it.
  17. Ratpack

Acclimating corals to lights?

I have LED's over my tank and I always put new corals on the bottom for at least a week. However, I wonder if most of you experts slowly raise them up in the tank over several weeks or if you just put them where you want them after the week or so at the bottom. I am mainly talking about SPS...
  18. Ratpack

First Clam

I was at a frag swap this weekend and picked up my first clam. Can someone confirm the type? Also, does it take a day or two before they really open up good?
  19. Ratpack

Lighting and Millipora?

I have a millipora that I am wondering if the lighting is too much for. I actually have two pieces of this millipora, one is directly under the lights and one is off to the side. The bigger one that is under the light is real light colored and the other piece that is off to the side is a deep...
  20. Ratpack

Advice on keeping fish alive while transporting overnight.

Next weekend I am traveling back to a place I used to live and they have an awesome LFS. Prices are as good as mail order and the stock is top notch or at least they have been in the past. Can't remember ever losing one of their fish that I bought. The problem is I will only have Saturday to...