First Clam

Ratpack

I was at a frag swap this weekend and picked up my first clam. Can someone confirm the type? Also, does it take a day or two before they really open up good?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
That looks to be a tridcna maxima to me. You can tell by the way the shell growths are spaced on the shell, the mantle looks like it too but that's a harder one to judge but I'd definitely say t. maxima :)
Yeah, it'll take the little guy a few days to open to the full extent as it adjusts to it's new surroundings and home. Make sure you have a small rock underneath it so it can attach it's foot to it :) It'll also make life easier for you if it's on a small rock and you have to move it around. A rock will also help protect the clams sensitive and unprotected foot :) Strong light and lots of love that little fella will grow into the beauty that it is!!

Cool. I went last year and picked up a clam then. Since then it has about doubled in size. And I really don't do anything to it, just leave it alone.

Ratpack

Thanks Wrangy, I will see if I have a small rock I can place under it. Hopefully it hasn't put its foot down under the sand to the glass yet.

Ratpack

Well, I woke up this morning and the little guy was gone. He was fine last night when I went to bed, but not this morning. Not sure what happened to him. I did have to remove a hermit crab yesterday that was on top of him, but he seemed fine. Just wonder if the hermit damaged him or was actually trying to eat him while he was alive.