Crazy skimmer?

Ratpack

What would cause a skimmer to all of a sudden overflow? I can set it where I want it and it will run fine for days and sometimes a week or more, but then for whatever reason, overnight it will overflow and fill the cup and keep going. Luckily it is a sump model so the water just goes back in the system, but so does everything it pulled out. To get it to stop overflowing, I have to open the valve a lot, let it settle and then slowly adjust it back to where it was. Any thoughts on why it would do that? I am not adding anything other than food to the system.

Snelly40

mysis will definately cause some skimmer fluctuation, also water level in the sump changing could affect that

DaveK

Here are a few things to look for when a skimmer cup fills quickly -

First make sure you have the skimmer adjusted correctly. You may have the flow off or be adding too much air.

Additives, many will cause a skimmer to really foam, as it removes them. Some will tell you to stop skimming others will not.

Your LFS using products like stress-coat when they ship a fish. You shouldn't ever add shipping water to your tank, but if you do, it can cause skimmer foaming.

Frozen foods often use a binder that can cause foaming. It's best to rinse them out before use, but even them you may not get it all. Some frozen foods have a lot of "juice" in them and this can also cause foaming.

Any contamination you may have on your hands or tools you use in and around the tank.

Ratpack

It may have been the food. I used some LRS food that night. Don't use that food much, so perhaps that was the culprit.