Search results

1. Octoman

Moving soon - need ideas

I'm moving way up the Eastern seaboard in a month. I'm trying to lay down a good concrete plan for moving the tank. I hope to make the trip in one day, but there's a chance it will be broken up into two, so I need to plan for a possible 48 hours. Here's my plan so far... Fish - go in 20 gal...
  2. Octoman

Gen X nw pump failing

I've had a gen-x needle wheel for about 9 months and it has started shutting off most of the time. It will come on for about 2 minutes and then turn off for a while again, then on again/off again... I've checked the socket its plugged in to, I've dismantled the pump and the impeller shaft is...
  3. Octoman

Acan on substrate

I have a little acan frag on a frag disk, and it is beginning to grow over the edge of the disk. Currently it is on the bottom of the tank on the substrate. Will it continue to grow here, or do I need to move it on to rock so it can spread off of the disc? I would prefer to leave it where it...
  4. Octoman

Polyp ID challenge!!!

I noticed this little guy growing on a rock about a week ago. It's very tiny, only about 3/4cm across. Any ideas?
  5. Octoman

OT: Non-Reef Photos

I know everyone here loves to play with their cameras, so how about sharing some of your favorite photos of something other than the reef! I'll start things off with one, my girlfriend and I have been hanging out at the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge a lot lately and I've been obsessed with...
  6. Octoman

Dolphin Rescue Mission - Savannah, GA

A rescue effort was mounted on Tuesday July 1st, 2008, in the Wilmington River near Savannah, GA. A young dolphin had become entangled in a round piece of rubber and her life was threatened by this man-made debris. The rubber was wrapped around the young dolphin's neck for at least a year and...
  7. Octoman

OT: Research Cruise Pictures

I got to go on a day-trip research cruise last week and I thought I would share some photos with y'all. The cruise was aboard the R/V Savannah based at the Skidaway Island Institute of Oceanography... We headed out to the Savannah River, they had to put the drawbridge up for us... On...
  8. Octoman

Sunday night reef chat

Be there or be square, it's on right now!! Don't miss the party or everyone else will talk about you behind your back...
  9. Octoman

Octoman's 10 gallon FW junkyard

Today starts the chronicle of a new beginning. It's been many years since I've had a FW tank. My friend gave me this truck for my tank for Christmas and it has been sitting in my closet until today. I felt the knock of inspiration today and it will finally be unleashed in it's full bubbling...
  10. Octoman

Green Star Polyps pouting

I've had my GSP for about 4 weeks. It has become more open and full since I put it in, but 4 days ago the polyps closed up and didn't come back out. I haven't made any changes or added anything else. There is a main mat on the rock that is closed up, but there are two other smaller pieces...
  11. Octoman

Wavemaker timing

I've reorganized my phs to allow for some wavemaking. They are on opposite sides of the tank where they generate flow circulating in one direction or the other. What timing do y'all like to use on your setup? I understand tidal cycles are ~6hrs, but close to the surface, swell waves would...
  12. Octoman

Wireless Aquacontroller Jr Serial Connection

First of all, I know others who could not get this to work. But I had success on two different computers and I wanted to share so others could try this method if they want to. Here are the components I used... Trendnet TBW-104UB bluetooth – usb adapter. Iogear GBS301 Bluetooth Serial...
  13. Octoman

Buried conch

My fighting conch buried himself amongst the feather duster garden about four or five days ago. He usually buries himself at night, but this time he didn't come back out. Is this normal behavior? I did see him poking his eyes out yesterday. The sand was starting to turn a little green with...
  14. Octoman

Coastal Aquarium - Richmond Hill, GA (near Savannah)

I have to give props to this LFS. The owner (Patty) runs a small operation here, but she does a good job of it. She orders everything tank raised/cultured if she can and she tries to order only hardy species. She won't ever sell anything to me unless she thinks it is healthy and she will tell...
  15. Octoman

Electrical safety

After reading about a recent reef tank fire that did some major house damage and killed the family cat, I decided to get proactive on my tank. I will strip the whole thing down and get rid of it if I can't eliminate the risk of losing my dogs/cat/house. I started looking around and found that...
  16. Octoman

xenia - photosynthetic or not?

That's the question... Is xenia photosynthetic or not? Bob Fenner of wwm insists they are "non-photosynthetic" Anthony Calfo of rk states that they are "heavily photosynthetic" What's the deal? Can anyone here back up one side or the other?
  17. Octoman

GBTA and lighting questions

Actually, two questions. Fred (my GBTA) has not been looking so happy since Saturday. He's been about halfway deflated a lot of the time, and one side of him is a different color than the other side. But, at least once a day he looks almost fully inflated for a while. Water parameters are...
  18. Octoman

Fungia Anorexia?

I've had my plate for about 4-5 months now. It's color looks good, it eats well when I feed it, there are no areas of exposed skeleton. I've seen pictures of other people's plates where they look super fat and meaty, and mine never looks even close to that full. At night, the tentacles get...
  19. Octoman

Lighting Photoperiod

How long do you keep your lights on? (Not counting actinics) I found an old thread on this, http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/10836-lighting-time-period.html and I thought it would be interesting to see what the group here does...
  20. Octoman

Urchin spawn

My diadema urchin is spawning right now. It positioned itself in the flow and sprays more out of five holes in its body every time the powerhead rotates its way. I got some photos and a video, but they're not the best quality with just the actinics on. I'll get them posted tomorrow. Should I...