OT: Research Cruise Pictures

Octoman

I got to go on a day-trip research cruise last week and I thought I would share some photos with y'all.

The cruise was aboard the R/V Savannah based at the Skidaway Island Institute of Oceanography...

savannah-1.jpg

We headed out to the Savannah River, they had to put the drawbridge up for us...

drawbridge.jpg

On the way there we rode by Bonaventure cemetery (Garden of Good/Evil)...

bonaventure.jpg

Then we rode on into the Savannah River where we did CTD casts (measures water parameters throughout the depth of the River)...

CTD.jpg

Octoman

We also did trawls in the Savannah and out in the Atlantic Ocean. We pulled up some interesting stuff.

Newborn baby stingray...

babyray.jpg

Horseshoe crab (looks like something out of Alien)...

horseshoe.jpg

Shameface crab...

shameface.jpg

Octoman

And the last couple pictures are of our mammalian friends who kept a close eye on us too...

dolphin2.jpg

dolphin.jpg

Gina

RS STAFF
Went deep sea fishing once and I had hoped the dolphins would follow the boat while we were out in the gulf but I only saw them from a distance.
Dolphins are my favorite marine animal.

Octoman

It was a blast! I go on these cruises whenever I can, sometimes we get to do overnight trips. On the overnight trip last year, we were cruising at night and dolphins were riding the pressure wave up on the bow. When they jumped out of the water and splashed back in, there was bright burst of bioluminescent flashes all around them. It was an amazing sight!!

Last edited:

dfurbee

Nice, that would have been interesting. Shameface crab, I have never seen one before. Thanks for sharing.

BoomerD

thebirds.jpg

MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE!

That's the first thing that comes to mind when I see a flock of flying rats...I mean seagulls nowadays..:D