Dolphin Rescue Mission - Savannah, GA

Octoman

4small.jpg

A rescue effort was mounted on Tuesday July 1st, 2008, in the Wilmington River near Savannah, GA. A young dolphin had become entangled in a round piece of rubber and her life was threatened by this man-made debris. The rubber was wrapped around the young dolphin's neck for at least a year and as she grew, the rubber became tighter and tighter. A crew made up of members from several different agencies and institutions set out Tuesday morning to locate the dolphin and remove the debris. She was successfully located and the piece of rubber was removed. The dolphin was examined by a veterinarian and was released back to the estuary to recover on her own.
NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - NOAA and Partners Free Juvenile Dolphin from Life-Threatening Debris
Young Dolphin Rescued from Debris in Savannah's Waterways - News - WSAV.com - Savannah / Hilton Head

Frankie

RS STAFF
Cool story Mark! I look forward to your pictures. Thanks for your contribution to the news! :)

Octoman

I was lucky enough to tag along to take pictures on this trip and I would love to share them with RS!

We set out early in the morning and located the dolphin near the Wilmington River...

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

When conditions were perfect, the net was dropped. It was amazing how fast and efficient the crew was, they really know what they are doing...

3-1.jpg

She was brought out of the water so that the debris could be removed and she could be examined by the veterinarian. Her comfort and well-being was the primary concern during the operation...

4-1.jpg

Then she was released back into the estuary, it was a great feeling to see her swimming away with a new lease on life...

5-1.jpg

dfurbee

Mark,
Nice news to hear. Just wish people would throw their trash away, where it belongs, not into the water. How luck for you to be there.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Darn Mark, the high resolution picture in the article really shows the damage done to the dolphin. They weren't worried about infection? Some of that flesh look pretty raw after the operation.

Octoman

Frankie, it appeared to be mostly scar tissue under the piece of rubber. When they cut the rubber, it came right off, they didn't have to cut it away from the skin.

Dfurbee, you are absolutely right, this is what happens with man-made debris in the ocean. People need to take more responsibility for what they put into the water.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Poor dolphin :( What amazing people to help it :thumbup:
Great article and fabulous pics!
Karma to you Mark for sharing this with us!

lcstorc

What a happy and sad story. This really reminds us all how our garbage effects the world and animals around us.
It is wonderful that you were able to save her. Poor baby living so long with that around her neck. She must have been so relieved to have it removed.
Great job!!
Thank you
Every animal saved is a step in the right direction.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I was out in those same waters Saturday fishing. The trouble is people around here are big into boating and have little respect for anyone or anything not on their boat i observed. IMO it is just to easy to just buy a boat, register it and go out. They should have mandatory classes or something.