Wireless Aquacontroller Jr Serial Connection

Octoman

First of all, I know others who could not get this to work. But I had success on two different computers and I wanted to share so others could try this method if they want to.

Here are the components I used...
Trendnet TBW-104UB bluetooth – usb adapter.
TRENDnet_TBW-104UB_Bluetooth_Adapter_TBW-104UB.jpeg

Iogear GBS301 Bluetooth Serial adapter
10967616.jpg

And here are my setup notes for each component...

Trendnet TBW-104UB bluetooth – usb adapter.

Downloaded driver/utility from TRENDnet | Downloads | Wireless | TBW-104UB (Version V2.1R)

Unzip and install – “setup”

My desktop gave me some junk about “windows LOGO testing” during install, (although my laptop didn’t…). I told it to continue anyway (about 20 times…).

I started Bluesoleil and plugged in the adapter to the USB port, ignore or cancel the found new hardware when it comes up.

When the welcome screen came up, I named it on the computer and left the security level at “medium”

I hooked the Iogear serial adapter up to the ACjr and powered it up (see below)

Then I clicked the button in the middle of the bluesoleil window to search for devices. If this window is not open, right-click the Bluetooth icon in the system tray and click display.

When the serial adapter was detected, I right clicked it and said “pair device”. (see below if you get a “connection timed out” message). I right clicked it again and selected “refresh services” and the serial adapter icon became available. I clicked that Icon and the quick connect message came up telling me what serial port it would be, remember this because you need to set it in Aquanotes. With this done, it is communicating to the computer and ready for Aquanotes!

AquaNotes

I downloaded aquanotes v 3.5c from AquaNotes Download

Unzipped and installed, I didn’t purchase any extras, just using the free version for now.

Open, go to Database à Tank Database
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]enter serial # for ACjr
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]select “config” tab and choose the proper serial port

That’s it!

Iogear GBS301 Bluetooth Serial adapter

This was the tricky part that gave me trouble with connecting.

Here is exactly what I did.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Set the BAUD rate to 9600 (first three switches set to on)
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Set the device to “slave” (Fourth switch set to off)

Power on (plug it in) and hook up to ACjr serial cable
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]It will not connect until the blue light begins flashing (about 6 seconds)

Connect from computer Bluetooth adapter

OK, so the first time I attempted to pair the device, it would say “connection timed out” and would not work. I found a couple ways to fix this if it happens.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]If you attempt to pair and everything is not set just right it messes with the configuration of the Iogear and you have to reset it by either
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]A Unplug it, switch the 4th switch to on, plug it in, light flashes. Unplug it again, switch the 4th switch back to off, plug it back in and retry connecting
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]Or B – connect it to the computer via serial port and hyperterminal (this is explained in the owners manual) and in the configuration screen, reset the device to default factory settings.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]A is easier, but I didn’t figure it out until I did B a few times. I believe that either of these methods clears the pairing information from the Iogear and allows it to establish a new connection

Octoman

It is nice! I can sit on the couch with my laptop and mess with the fish, switching their lights around and turning pumps on and off...

Best of all, I can leave it hooked up to my Desktop without a wire running through the house. I've got the desktop set up for remote access so I can log on from anywhere over the internet and check on the tank!

Octoman

I've got a couple more notes after using it for a little while:

- It will only work at a BAUD rate of 9600

- I mentioned above to power the Iogear on and then hook it up to the ACjr wire, make sure you do it in this order. If you power it on while it is hooked up to the ACjr, it won't work. However, at one point my power went out, and when both came back on at the same time (still hooked up), it worked fine.

- Once it was up and running, the only time I have to do something is if I shut down the desktop. All I have to do when I power it back up is open the Bluesoleil console (from the system tray), right click the serial cable icon, and click "connect".

Octoman

One last update, I have it working with a different set-up now too. I used a cheap bluetooth dongle (less than $5 including shipping from Hong Kong on ebay) and an older Aircable Serial OS unit. It's working perfectly at 9600.

Dongle...
112.jpg

Aircable Serial OS

SerialModule.png

slakker

Nice... I did a wireless hookup for the ACIII using the ethernet interface. Instead of getting a single ethernet wireless adapter, I modified a couple of Linksys WRT 54G series wireless router using the DD-WRT firmware. Much cheaper and it extends from the PC in my office, halfway across the hous to my aquarium.

thelastmucci

this is great information. I plan on getting the ACJr when I buy everything for the tank. If you don't mind my ignorance what is a BAUD rate...I'm pretty handy with computers and never heard that term before. Also when you mention you have to put it as a "slave" is there anything you have to do interanlly to the tower. The reason I ask is b/c I have a Dell and the warranty says you can't mess with it. Also how do you all have your AC's hooked up as far as putting them somewhere (ie on the floor on a wall in the cabinet etc)

Octoman

this is great information. I plan on getting the ACJr when I buy everything for the tank. If you don't mind my ignorance what is a BAUD rate...I'm pretty handy with computers and never heard that term before. Also when you mention you have to put it as a "slave" is there anything you have to do interanlly to the tower. The reason I ask is b/c I have a Dell and the warranty says you can't mess with it. Also how do you all have your AC's hooked up as far as putting them somewhere (ie on the floor on a wall in the cabinet etc)

The BAUD rate is the speed that the ACjr is communicating through the serial port - 9600 bits per second. Just like the old modems used to be 9600, 14400, 28800...

The Slave mode is an adjustment on the IOGEAR unit itself. All you have to do is flip a switch on it. There is no hardware modification involved on your computer, all you do there is plug the bluetooth adapter into your USB port.

I have my ACjr velcroed on to the outside of my cabinet. I like having it where I see it when I come through the hallway, but it's tucked away in the corner where you don't see it from the living room. There are some pics of my setup here...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/18160-neptune-aquacontroller-16.html#post411446

thelastmucci

thanks for the link mark..I actually posted in that thread. Also thanks for clearing that up about the BAUD rate...its been so long since I used a modem or a serial port that I totally forgot that.

cbkentucky

I have just purchased all the required components (Iogear serial connector and iogear class 1 bluetooth), but cannot get the set up to work. When I look for the bluetooth device, my computer sets a serial port of com18 and com19.
When you say to set these in aquanotes how? you only have options for com1- com4. Am I missing something?

Aquanotes says it is connected at the bottom, but then cannot connect retreive anything?

please help.

Octoman

Sorry, didn't catch this until now.

Make sure you are looking under the right heading in aquanotes. There are com port options accessible in the Config dropdown menu, but those aren't the ones you want.

Select the Database dropdown menu - Tank Database - then select the Config tab. You should have all your serial port options there.

cabregp

Great post! I have been referring to it quite a bit as I also have connected my AC JR using the bluetooth technique you outlined.

I have a couple of questions for you now that you have been using it for a while. I am using the same IOgear serial/bluetooth adapter as you, and I have switched between dongles for trouble shooting purposes.

One of the problems I have run into is my IOgear looses com service after a few hours of being hooked up. Does this happen to you? I usually have to give the IOgear a power cycle an reconnect. Running a power cycle while it is connected to the AC JR does not seem to be a problem. I have tried different usb dongles with the same problem. The devices are always within a few feet of each other.

Have you tried ACSerial2Web Software? It is really cool, it allows you to have web alerts, webcam pics/video feeds, access from anywhere on the net and alot more. It is free too, you should try it if you haven't. Seems pretty nice, but I can't maintain a connection so I am still troubleshooting my problem.

Any ideas?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Crapola! This reminds me... I just sold my AC Jr and I still have all the hardware to "attempt" to do this.

If anyone wants to give this a try I'll make you a "Deal" of these goodies...

kripas

Great post, I followed your instruction but no luck,tried multiple usb Bluetooth dongle class 1. My computer see the Iogear GBS301 connected,verified in my device manager I have Com port 4 and com port 5, but still wont connect to my AC JR. The direct connection from my PC to AC jr works fine using aqua notes and ac2web,but cant do wireless Only thing I can think of is the serial cable,I got it somewhere. Did you get your serial cable from Neptune or you got it somewhere? Thanks