Search results

1. MikeinToronto

Wild V. Domestic

True, usually. WC vs CB, doesn't matter. Both will accept (or reject) an anemone, even a natural host. You can find bright CB clowns as well although I notice bright WC clowns are easier to find. CB doesn't always mean a healthier or better animal. It is just more "environmentally friendly"...
  2. MikeinToronto

A rose anemone???

Sounds like a sebae anemone (Heteractis crispa) at that price. Google that one and see. Perhaps Condylactis but probably not at that price (unless they are trying to scam you). A RBTA will have pink to orange to red tentacles, not just the tips. It's foot will be any shade with a reddish hue...
  3. MikeinToronto

entacmaea quadricolor (bubble tip) question?

To your original question, Ritteri (Magnificent), giant carpet, and Merten's carpet are natural hosts to that species. Unfortunately, all three are considered "difficult", and difficult when referring to anemones means DIFFICULT. All host anemones may be accepted by an ocellaris clown so if you...
  4. MikeinToronto

Uniseal Test For Those Interested

It looks like they should last a while, but I cringe every time I see you twisting the pipes like that. It looks like the glass will break every time.
  5. MikeinToronto

Best Kept Secrets

Years back someone studied a tank with a bed of silca sand vs carbonate sand and despite a slight difference in fauna, there was no adverse effect from the silica. I'm sure it's posted somewhere here, RAG, or RC. Here are my tricks/secrets. I'm not going to post the rules I break because I...
  6. MikeinToronto

New Marine Enthusiast

Personally I wouldn't buy a used tank. 3' tanks are not expensive new so if you're doing this as your first SW tank, don't add the extra worry of a leaky tank that may have once had copper (toxic to inverts) in it or some other medication. You can buy retro kits that fit into custom-made...
  7. MikeinToronto

OT: whats your opinion on pittbulls?

If a ban were to go into place, you would be forced to neuter your pet and you would no longer be allowed to obtain any additional pitbulls. Your current animals would be safe. However, pitbulls that end up in shelters will be either destroyed or sent to a neighbouring state where there is no...
  8. MikeinToronto

Karensroseanemones.com

If you're really good with web design (and she is not) you can optimise your new site(s) so that when people Google-search for you or rose anemones or whatever, your new site(s) will be the first to appear and it can even render your old site (and her) obsolete. As for the legal route, it's too...
  9. MikeinToronto

3 day cycle

Cycling happens on the rocks/substrate, not the water. Rocks need to populate with bacteria not the water so that lady is wrong.
  10. MikeinToronto

RS is growing

I don't even see the people I remember from RAG or when this board first started.
  11. MikeinToronto

75 vs 100 RODI unit

If you're concerned about throwing away water needlessly, you probably want a 75 gpd unit. Just to break it down, a 100 gpd unit produces about 4 gallons per hour while a 75 gpd unit produces 3 so there isn't much difference but the rejection rate for the 75 gpd is about 7% higher than the 100...
  12. MikeinToronto

75 vs 100 RODI unit

The DOW 75 gpd membrane produces a better ratio of good water to waste, ie: the 75 gpd membrane is more efficient. The amount of water you use dictates the size of your membrane. With 75 vs 100 there may not be that much difference but to use a more extreme example, you wouldn't want to use a...
  13. MikeinToronto

Sump costs?

Build it. Check your Yellowpages for a local glass shop and have them cut some glass baffles. It's cheaper than acrylic and silicone actually adheres to them. I had 4 cut for me for $20.
  14. MikeinToronto

RO/DI alternatives?

It's been a few years (10, I think) since I last used an API. You set it for 1 cup per minute or something, right? All I can remember is setting it lower than the recommended rate and testing the water afterwards. Yup, no waste water. I've read it misses things but I don't understand this nor...
  15. MikeinToronto

RO/DI alternatives?

The API unit actually runs faster than a RO unit and I agree it is a great choice. I used it for a few years before I bought an RO unit. If you aren't afraid of chemicals you can also recharge the resin yourself. Talking of convenience, recharging resin is NOT convenient. But it is a way of...
  16. MikeinToronto

RO/DI alternatives?

Once you have a RO/DI unit, you'll realise it isn't complicated or difficult to own or use, and water isn't difficult to mix or store. It's the unknown about RO units that scares people. Personally I couldn't imagine myself buying water from the LFS. It's too much of a pain and eventually I...
  17. MikeinToronto

Ammonia Hydroxide

bah never mind I'm getting myself confused and this is such an easy calculation.
  18. MikeinToronto

Karensroseanemones.com

My guess is some spider or crawler saw the high hit count and snatched the site. I doubt it was personal or even human. It's really hard to lose a domain name unless you aren't reading your many, many email warnings.
  19. MikeinToronto

Anenome keeping

I wouldn't worry about it with any anemone except a carpet. Even then, I still wouldn't worry about it; the anemone has to eat.
  20. MikeinToronto

Anenome keeping

IME and IMO, saddlebacks are the only clowns I would trust with a Haddoni long term. They seem to be the only ones that are completely immune. I've never had them eat another clown but since I always pair saddlebacks with Haddonis, no other clown can get close enough to try. I know other clown...