Karensroseanemones.com

tektite

FYI - I hope this post is allowed...

The website karensroseanemones.com (caring for rose anemones the right way) has a lot of really good info on keeping BTA's. I know at least a couple of you have her website as a favorite...

Someone just bought her domain name out from under her, so her new site will be karensroseanemones.net. It'll be back up w/in 48 hrs.

Her site is a fantastic resource for those wanting info on keeping BTAs. Just don't want that resource to be lost.

Octoman

Thanks for the update, her website is a great resource. Who else could possibly want that domain name? That seems a bit underhanded to me.

Edison

Thanks for the update, her website is a great resource. Who else could possibly want that domain name? That seems a bit underhanded to me.

Some scumbag was probably waiting for the domain name to expire so they could snatch it up and then sell it back to her.
That happened to one of my clients; he forgot to renew his domain name & he had to but it back for 10,000 dollars.

My guess is some spider or crawler saw the high hit count and snatched the site. I doubt it was personal or even human.

It's really hard to lose a domain name unless you aren't reading your many, many email warnings.

Ericm1205

Some scumbag was probably waiting for the domain name to expire so they could snatch it up and then sell it back to her.
That happened to one of my clients; he forgot to renew his domain name & he had to but it back for 10,000 dollars.

i thought this was illegal to some point? i don't remember when it was but i thought there was a bill that passed.
whatever it is, this is a dirtball move to steal a lady's website on raising nems or anyones.

Octoman

Hmmm, it seems whoever snatched the website still has her index and much of her info and pictures. I wonder if that would qualify as copyright infringement?

tektite

I was wondering the same thing. At least the links don't work, but still, how can a company sell a domain name and not remove info from the old website?

cloesmom

Hi all, thanks so much for the support.
The reason I did not renew it is 1. I had it under auto renewal with freewebs domains.com. where I had auto renew on it every two years.
2. What I did not know is it then was sent to GoDaddy(they bought out freewebs domain services) and they did not renew it automatically. And they did not have the correct email address for me. So the 2 notices went to the wrong email address.
They did however have my home mailing address and phone number but they didn't bother to call or send me a renewal notice that way.
When I found this out I had just missed the date of expiration which was also the renewal date and they sold it the day it expired.
That was very underhanded. Someone in the Netherlands bought it and will sell it back to me for $2000.00 which of course I will NOT pay and have told her so. Amongst all of the mess trying to figure out what to do I finally got a hold of the company that hosts my site and they sold me the .net domain name, still karensroseanemones.net. I also bought karensanemones.com and you can find the site at that address also.
I contacted the person that bought it today telling her to remove the name server from the address she has as it is showing my homepage. And told her that she is breaking copyright law by keeping it there. No reply from her yet.
She also states in an email that she will be "rebuilding" the website. Don't know what that means but I have warned her that should one picture or sentence that is on my site show up on hers I will contact an attorney to settle this mess once and for all.
By law my site is copyright protected as are all websites and I am sure she doesn't know that as she does not live in this country. So will pray for the best and that she does not use my name and domain address that she stole from me to sell anemones ,as you all know I have many visitors. I pay for everything for my site out of my pocket including the domain names and extra bandwidth each month because of the amount of traffic it gets and I told her that she bought a site that sells nothing for profit. I am sure she did NOT know that when she came in on her broom.
I was happy that my host site has stopped showing the .com address at their company now , I had to ask them to do that., so if the .com is typed in it should not come up as my front page any longer, at least that is what is supposed to happen. I will look and see in a bit.
Anyway. If anyone also belongs to Reef Central maybe you would be so kind as to let everyone know there as well about the change in domain address. I have posted to 12 of the sites that visitors come from the most that this has changed but I am not a member of RC any longer and can not post about the change but I can see that there are discussions there pointing to my site that have the .com address and that is no longer. Thanks all and I appreciate the support. It has been a hard lesson for me in all this and I am looking into getting it back legally without money paid out.
Karen

If you're really good with web design (and she is not) you can optimise your new site(s) so that when people Google-search for you or rose anemones or whatever, your new site(s) will be the first to appear and it can even render your old site (and her) obsolete.

As for the legal route, it's too expensive to save your old pictures and content. In truth all that will happen is in time, people will come across "her" site and think, "Gee, she stole that from Karen." As long as you're number 1 in Google, people will see you as the authority.

Quick story. When I set up my website on breeding certain animals, a Dutch guy (coincidentally) asked me all sorts of questions and advice and I helped him out. He even translated part of my site and I volunteered to host the Dutch version. Soon after, I found he had registered his own domain and guess what he took with him. He did a little rewording but the text was mine. That didn't bug me as much as his home page that read "This is from my own experience". Anyway, I was the "authority" on the subject so it wasn't a big deal but it irritated me.

Anyway Google "google omtimizer". It really helps. I got my site to 100% relevant.

Octoman

Thanks for the update Karen. You've really invested a lot of time and effort to educate people in the proper way to care for these creatures. I, for one, appreciate your efforts. You get back what you put in to this world and I believe you'll be rewarded for your kindness in some way. But, it works both ways - someone trying to ransom your domain name, it'll all come back around...