A rose anemone???

Rhodes19

Hi All,

I was in a lfs the other day and saw an anemone that had a white base and white tentacles with pretty pinkish reddish tips. They said it was a rose anemone and was $100. It caught my interest but when I looked for it on the web I really didn't see anything like I was looking at. Most of what I see looks like rbt or red lta. Sorry for the shabby details and lack of pictures but does any one have an idea of what I might have been looking at? Any info or good pictures of what a rose anemone looks like would be greatly appreciated. I want to do my due diligence before making a big leap like that. Thanks.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Haven't seen many quadricolors with white bases. Any other characteristucs of the base? Any verucae? Marks on the oral disc?

Should have snapped a pic with your phone :)

Sounds like a sebae anemone (Heteractis crispa) at that price. Google that one and see. Perhaps Condylactis but probably not at that price (unless they are trying to scam you).

A RBTA will have pink to orange to red tentacles, not just the tips. It's foot will be any shade with a reddish hue (eg. brown, pinkish, red). The mantle can range from white to red. A True RBTA will be completely red or thereof, and would probably fetch a higher price. They are all just BTAs though.

You probably don't want that anemone in the LFS. If it's a sebae it can be tricky.

Rhodes19

Haven't seen many quadricolors with white bases. Any other characteristucs of the base? Any verucae? Marks on the oral disc?

Should have snapped a pic with your phone :)

LOL!! I actually thought about taking a picture of it. I'll be taking some softies in for trade tomorrow and I'll have to see if I can take a picture of it. I'll have to get back back with you about the verucae. I just googled it (new term to me) and I think it is the stock between the mouth and the foot. I'll check the oral disc too. The guy I deal with there mostly is nice enough, I don't think he would mind if I took a picture of it.

Clownfish, are quadricolors any anemone that is multi colored or does that refer to the bubble tips only? Thanks.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
LOL!! I actually thought about taking a picture of it. I'll be taking some softies in for trade tomorrow and I'll have to see if I can take a picture of it. I'll have to get back back with you about the verucae. I just googled it (new term to me) and I think it is the stock between the mouth and the foot. I'll check the oral disc too. The guy I deal with there mostly is nice enough, I don't think he would mind if I took a picture of it.

Clownfish, are quadricolors any anemone that is multi colored or does that refer to the bubble tips only? Thanks.

BTAs only; Entacmaea quadricolor is the species name

Rhodes19

Sounds like a sebae anemone (Heteractis crispa) at that price. Google that one and see. Perhaps Condylactis but probably not at that price (unless they are trying to scam you).

A RBTA will have pink to orange to red tentacles, not just the tips. It's foot will be any shade with a reddish hue (eg. brown, pinkish, red). The mantle can range from white to red. A True RBTA will be completely red or thereof, and would probably fetch a higher price. They are all just BTAs though.

You probably don't want that anemone in the LFS. If it's a sebae it can be tricky.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. I googled sebae and condylactis and found a pic of a condy that looks like it (actually prettier in person). Here's the link to the picture.

Google Image Result for https://www.aquaterrashop.de/meerwasser-neu/images/Condylactis_gigantea_karibik_39.jpg

Their sign at the store listed bta, lta, and condys. I'll get a pic of it for a definitive ID. Thanks.

Rhodes19

Its a rose bubble tip anemone. I went back today to look and take a picture of it. This time the tentacles were inflated and it looked like a RBTA. The pictures I took really didn't turn out to well but when I get to a computer I can use to up load the better picture. Also had another staff member check their invoice and re said rose tip anemone at $100. Time to save up and get some good lighting so when my tank is mature I can get one. :D

sambrinar

A RBTA with a white base and only pink tips?? Still sounds like a condy... post a pict just because the invoice says so... it doesn't mean THAT is the nem they are showing you... and $100 bucks is REALLY cheap for a RBTA!!

IF it's an RBTA it should look like Mike described... no white!!

Rose Bulb Anemone

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
i hate to say it, but working at an LFS I can tell you what an invoice says and what you get can be two very different things.

Rhodes19

Hi Brenda and Clownfish,

Here are the pictures I took. They are not very good but I think you can see the bubble in the tips. It was interesting because when I first saw it, it did look like a condy with pink tips. The tentacles were totally deflated when I first saw it. Oh if only I have a mature tank and the appropriate lighting. I just bought 3 ice cap 660s with harness and end caps (some T5 and some VHO [I'll replace them with T5]). I'll get the IDRs and bulbs some time in the future and make a canopy. By the time I really get around to it, the tank really will really be mature!!! :D

RBTA.jpg

RBTA3.jpg

RBTA2.jpg

RBTA1.jpg

IamELMO

Looks like a badly bleached RBTA. I would steer clear of it unless you really have experience with them or want to donate $100

Here is my one......

20032010069.jpg

Rhodes19

Hi IamELMO,

Thanks. That's a shame. The color is definitely interesting. The tanks not ready so I can't get it at the moment and the only donations I don't mind making (well, maybe not) are to my daughters. :D

Reddog170

I sure wish I could put that nem in my tank. I think I could bring it back. The only worry is how well it would handle transport in its poor health. I hope that someone with good hands with nems gets it and brings it back. Shaun

seafansar

+1 for very bleached RBTA. Poor thing.

In the future, try checking out anyone local who has them. Around here so many people have ones that split constantly they regularly go for $25-$60! They sort of become a nuisance in some tanks and people are happy to sell them at a low price. But it does seem to happen in waves for some reason. It'll be months before you'll see one for sale, then all of a sudden you'll see like 6 of them for sale. Maybe there's something about the time of year that makes them want to split. lol.

Rhodes19

Thanks everyone for your feed back. Now I'm bummed. Its sick and I didn't pick up on it. However, I am glad that I can learn from you all before I make costly mistakes. Thank you. I have seen some RBTAs for sale from local hobbyists but my tank isn't ready for any nems at the moment. I might give them a call and just go see what a healthy one looks like. :)

Chris

tektite

Looks like some RBTA's that a great LFS of mine had. They were perfectly healthy, white bases and bright pink tips, in stable tanks under MH's / top quality T5's, and remained the same color for months. They sold them all though, I really wanted one :(

lcstorc

Months are nothing in the life of an anemone. We have yet to find their maximum life span but we know it is many many years.
That is not what a BTA should look like. It could be badly bleached or could be another type of nem.
They shouldn't have Condys and other nems together either. Condys are Atlantic anemones while all others are Pacific. They are very inexpensive and clowns will not recognize them. It doesn't look like a Condy to me either but wanted to throw that in for general info.