OT: whats your opinion on pittbulls?

Melanie

My son was bitten in the face and dragged away by a pit bull when he was about 18 months old. I have been bitten by a maltese, doberman, gosh, too many to name. Guess it comes with many years of animal rescue.

That being said, I do not believe you should pass a law to ban pittbulls. OWNERS should be the ones punished for having ANY breed of violent dog. I'm behind you 100 percent. Write to your congressmen.

lcstorc

You know what I realized from this thread? a. yes, I'm a little more wary of pits b. it's because of the OWNERS who COULD BE bad people so therefore (gee this sounds like those word math problems I hated) I am wary because I know there's bad people out there who might have screwed their dogs up.

This so reminds me of a story from my life. I was 24 or so and my car broke down in the middle of the night and the middle of nowhere. This is before everyone had a cell phone so I got out and started walking scared out of my mind. Two men in a van pulled up and asked if I needed help. I was scared out of my mind but figured I couldn't get away anyway so I said yes and I opened their door so they could take me back to my car. A giant german shepard jumped out and started licking my face and and wagging it's tail. They were apologizing etc., but the only thing that was going through my mind was dogs this nice don't belong to bad people. Needless to say they helped me with my car and followed me to their exit to make sure I didn't break down again.

Now good people can have bad dogs. All of my dogs have been rescues and you never know what happened to them before you got them. A responsible owner knows their dog and what it is likely to do in a given situation. So if you have an agressive dog you put them in the other room etc. Even though my dogs are not agressive at all, when someone new comes to my house I generally put the dogs in their kennels until I find out if the person is comfortable around dogs. Particularly if there are children.

I don't think any breed of dogs can be all lumped together. There are good and bad within any group.

fishnu

Two observations

1)A pit bull would look good on Michael Vick

2)Dogs are bred for certain traits. Some of those traits are physical while others are behavioral, like retrieving or reactiveness. I think Pits are a little on the edgy side compared to, say, retrievers. That's why you don't see Pits as seeing eye dogs. In the hands of the right owner they are good dogs, but I wouldn't own one.

John

prow

good points everyone.

every pit i have had, many, has been a great dog. all of them real good with people. pit bulls are great dogs. very lovable and believe it or not mind their owns very well, easy to teach good or bad behaviors. they mainly just really really want to make their owns happy. the behavioral trait you have to watch for is they generally dont like other dogs. with that and the way they are built it makes them good fighting dogs (not good but you know, easy to train for). i think any dog will get more protective as it ages, especially if lives in the same house most of its life. if the owner teaches the dog to "get'um" while young that behavior will grow. nothing wrong with the dog.

know if you want a dog that is generally aggressive towards us and most anything else, take a look at the queensland heeler. talk about an aggressive dog.

bluespotjawfish

I want to compliment all of you on your educated discussion of this issue. It is a very personal one for me because my dogs are often lumped into the breed specific legislation that is going on around the country. Don't think that your breed can't be added to. Protect your rights and your dog by supporting well written NON BREED specific laws to protect people from vicious dogs.

Intranick

I have actually not met a pit yet, But I tend to believe that any dog has the potential to be a good dog or a bad dog. -- and I agree that its a lot to do with the training, if not 100%. some dogs are, however, harder to train than others.

When I first met my friend's border collie, the way it was barking at me, even in its kennel, scared the crap out of me.. my friend tossed me a dog biscuit and let it out, the dog started running at me, i held up the biscuit and it stopped running and walked up and took it.. however, my friend's dog is easily excited -- very hyper, but tends to calm down with certain stimuli. After that, the dog never barked at me again, he said it was because I was new. that dog has never hurt a fly, either.

Also, I picked up some tooling for my old man's business and the owner of that shop has a German Shepard. Friendliest dog i have ever seen. greets anybody who pulls up to pick up stuff with a wagging tail and loves attention (of course the owner gives permission) -- thats personally my favorite kind of dog

the most aggressive dog i've seen? a neighbor's bichon frisse (sp?) -- might be a cute little "toy" dog, but that seems to get it away with of stuff, it has bit me before, and bit hard -- didn't puncture skin, but it wasn't a playful bite. but since it doesnt seem to have the strength break skin nobody has complained about it and they never did anything about it -- that was neglect on their part. very poorly trained.

other than that, I have never really been bitten by dogs.

as a fellow minnesotan, maybe I can ask some people i know who are more into animal rights about options of our area to fight it..

dobejazz

How about a different opinion? I have a 200lb St. Bernard. He was the most loveable dog with anyone when he was younger. He is 5 now. One night about 2 years ago, someone tried to break into my house, and he ran them off. He has not been the same ever since. Every day he seems to get more "pertective" so to speak. He has always been loyal to immediate family members, but now, I have to put him in a room with the door closed when I have guests, so he doesn't try to eat them. I bought him at 7 months old, and don't know his history prior to my purchase. He is however the first St. Bernard I have ever seen that is scared of a water hose.. He will go nuts if I turn on the hose in the backyard if he is outside, trying to flee from it. We have to use cups to bathe him.. he doesn't mind them. But I fear, one day, I will have to put him down due to his agressiveness.. Can anyone explain that one? Basically, I feel there are exceptions to the bad owner clause... He is treated very well, and very well mannered with the immediate family. Its just the "outsiders" he has a problem with.

Jason

I think in alot of cases certain breeds are overbred to the point of being unstable- Especially after a Disney movie is released.

spssick

this is my old thread nice to see old things sometimes,these are my two girls

NO ANIMAL WAS INJURED IN THE TAKEING OF THIS PHOTO

611.jpg

157.jpg

This is a very sensitive subject for me so WARNING: I'm about to ramble!
Although I've never owned a pitbull, I've known many and have never had a problem with one. The most tragic part about the whole scenario is that the reason pitbulls are responsible for so many attacks is that they will do anything and everything for their owners. This was bred into them for fighting purposes so that the animal would throw itself into any situation that the person said to. So essentially, if pitbulls have any problem it's that they love too much. If their "pack leader" is vicious and violent, the pit will follow in their footsteps, no questions asked. Another tragic part of the situation is that the way pit bulls look: tough-- and that's exactly what most unstable, vicious creeps want to look like.
78612_f520.jpg

I definitely agree with what was said about watching the Dog Whisperer. You will see in every single case, not ALMOST every case, that it is the human. As pack animals, the dog is going to learn from the person who controls their every day life. The "bad owner" idea can be misunderstood sometimes because it doesn't necessarily mean that if your dog misbehaves, you neglected to train it otherwise, or you trained it to be that way. It means that your behavior affects the animal. For example, if you tense up every time a little kid comes to pet your dog because you're afraid he might bite the kid, what can you expect the dog to think? All he knows is you got nervous, and that this kid must be bad news. Simple things like that can put an owner with good intentions into the "bad owner" category. Dog training really is a lot more complicated than yelling at the dog when it does something bad and giving it a treat when it does something good. I think we should all practice psychology rather than training with our dogs. This is what Cesar Milan (the Dog Whisperer) does, and anyone can do it. If everyone did do it, there would be fewer helpless and confused animals (particularly pit bulls) dumped at shelters because they're "bad"

PS- HELLEN KELLER'S SERVICE DOG WAS A PIT BULL!
:ofr:
womens_history_helen_keller.jpg

I want to know because the laws they are trieng to pass.If one houses a pitt after it is passed.The state has the right to come in take it and put it to sleep.

If a ban were to go into place, you would be forced to neuter your pet and you would no longer be allowed to obtain any additional pitbulls. Your current animals would be safe.

However, pitbulls that end up in shelters will be either destroyed or sent to a neighbouring state where there is no ban.

So don't worry about losing your dogs. You can keep them, you just can't get any more unless you move.

seafansar

I was just at the shelter today picking up a foster cat that's about to have kittens. I walked down the adoptable dogs and was shocked to see that almost every single dog was a pit! I remember about 10 years or so ago when I would go with my mom to the shelter (she does dog rescue) you saw a few pits, but there was definitely more variety of dog breeds. I guess they are more popular today, but going to bad homes. :(

I was just at the shelter today picking up a foster cat that's about to have kittens. I walked down the adoptable dogs and was shocked to see that almost every single dog was a pit! I remember about 10 years or so ago when I would go with my mom to the shelter (she does dog rescue) you saw a few pits, but there was definitely more variety of dog breeds. I guess they are more popular today, but going to bad homes. :(
I agree. It's so sad. I'd say 90% of the dogs at my local shelters are Pits or Pit mixes. It makes me want to cry.