Sump costs?

Izzy

I am now in the works of switching from canister to sump filtration and I would like to know is it going to be cheaper to build my own sump or buy it. 65 gallon tank. I just am curious to see how much money some people spent just on building there own?

I am now in the works of switching from canister to sump filtration and I would like to know is it going to be cheaper to build my own sump or buy it. 65 gallon tank. I just am curious to see how much money some people spent just on building there own?

I built mine out of a 20g long tank, (20 bucks on sale) and acrylic baffles (cost about 20 bucks for the sheet at HD). The pump was 30, and I bought a HOB overflow for 40 from Foster and Smith.

You can make it super cheap or super elaborate, it's all about what suits your needs.

(Also, I say make it yourself. There's no sense in buying a premade one if your just going to toss the bio balls, and if it comes as an open empty sump you just spent 200 bucks on a plastic box.)

nunlef

my sump is a 30g w/acrylic baffles. Including the cost of sylicon and specialty tools (that didn't work anyway), I spent $70-80. The least expensive pre-built model in a similar size was about $150. those $$ don't include pumps/hoses/etc... I think I spent another $150 for that stuff, but would have needed to buy them regardless of sump choice.

Izzy

alright well thanks and yes that is true 200 dollars for a plastic box sounds kinda dumb haha. I have all the tools to cut and make this thing so I was just wanting to get some feedback on price before I decided. Which you helped me to come to the conclusion that I will build it :) now to start planning it.

thanks

Build it. Check your Yellowpages for a local glass shop and have them cut some glass baffles. It's cheaper than acrylic and silicone actually adheres to them. I had 4 cut for me for $20.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Build it. You can have glass cut at Lowes. Glass bonds with silicone better than acrylic. My glass baffles cost under $20. My sump cost well under $100 - the tank is a 30 long.

Izzy

Okay so now that I know all of that. Im now pulling my hair out trying to design this thing problem is I don't completely understand for example is there a rule of thumb on how big this thing should be? how many chambers should one typically have? whats the best filtration to put in there, just live rock? The area under my tank is 3' long by 1'6" wide and 2' tall is this enough room to build one? I have been looking at some designs and been trolling youtube but I think each design just confuses me more specially when I see the 5 gallon bucket of bio balls. lol

Trademark

the best thing about building it yourself is you can make it what you want, and a custom fit for your stand.

this might help i hope:

before you build make sure you can slide it in when its done
are you wanting a refugium?
3 stage baffle will help with bubbles
if you are going to have bio-balls, you might want to filter the large debris before it hits the bio-balls to reduce nitrate buildup
any other ideas guys?