New Marine Enthusiast

DrLazer

Hi!,

I have kept freshwater and tropical fish with great success for many years now and have finally decided to setup a marine tank. I have wanted to do it for a long time. However, most of the information I have been reading online is either very confusing, unavailable or contradictory. I'm not rushing into anything with this because I want everything perfect.

So to start with ....

What do i need to bear in mind when buying a tank? I have my eyes on a 3 foot tank an fleabay with no lid and was thinking of constructing the lid and stand myself. Does this sound like a reasanoble thing to do? Also can you buy lighting kits readymade that i could just attach into my DIY lid somehow.

Thanks in advance

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

I too started my 1st swt one year ago, I have had great sucess, I owe that to RS here & my best tip is to :read: :read: :read: as many post as you can & ask questions, lots of helpful members here.

I run an Red Sea Max AIO (All In One) tank, so I will have to let others advise on your questions above.

If you want to learn what comes with an AIO, check out this link

Red Sea MAX | The complete coral reef system

Hi!,

I have kept freshwater and tropical fish with great success for many years now and have finally decided to setup a marine tank. I have wanted to do it for a long time. However, most of the information I have been reading online is either very confusing, unavailable or contradictory. I'm not rushing into anything with this because I want everything perfect.

So to start with ....

What do i need to bear in mind when buying a tank? I have my eyes on a 3 foot tank an fleabay with no lid and was thinking of constructing the lid and stand myself. Does this sound like a reasanoble thing to do? Also can you buy lighting kits readymade that i could just attach into my DIY lid somehow.

Thanks in advance

Personally I wouldn't buy a used tank. 3' tanks are not expensive new so if you're doing this as your first SW tank, don't add the extra worry of a leaky tank that may have once had copper (toxic to inverts) in it or some other medication.

You can buy retro kits that fit into custom-made hoods, no problem. I'd get the retro kit first and make sure your canopy fits around it.

Building it yourself is just fine if you're handly but if you're doing it as a cheap shortcut, I wouldn't do it. DIY is for people who enjoy DIY. IME everytime I do DIY to save money I don't like what I've done. But as I said, if you like DIY, go for it!

Octoman

Building a lid and stand is completely reasonable (check out my 55 build in the sig). DIY lighting kits abound, just search for "retrofit" kits.

What kind of fish do you hope to keep? A 3 foot tank will eliminate some fish from the possibilities, however, is more than enough room for a beautiful reef tank. Check out craigslist as a source for tanks too. If you are planning a reef setup, you will probably want to have a sump to put a protein skimmer in, add extra water volume, and hide heaters and anything else. That means you either need an external overflow box on the DT (display tank), or a much better option (IMO) is a drilled DT with an internal overflow. You would also need to make room inside the stand for the sump.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome to RS :)

KUDOS to you for researching and asking questions FIRST! You, your tank and your wallet will all benefit from your knowledge before the fact.

Let's start off with some links you NEED to read through and bookmark.

Start with this
FAQ of Reefing

which will contain (this is the order I think you'll want to read and take notes)

Setting Up a SUCCESSFUL Marine Aquarium

These are both good reads on the same topic *Cycling*
newbies-little-something-cycling-breaking-new-reef-tankl

just-exactly-what-cycled-tank

Some hints/tips on
TESTING

Ideas on
*Stocking* the tank

and
how to acclimate new additions

and while you're cycling your tank you'll want to
set-up and cycle a QT system

As for "Equipment" ask 10 people and you'll get 15 different answers LOL!

Since you're interested in DIY I'll suggest more towards that area. If you're capable and SAFE about it you can save some coins going DIY especially with the high-dollar items (Lights, skimmer etc) but you'll want to learn about HOW they work and WHY they work before attempting either one.

One thought I have... if you can "squeeze" a 4' tank (75g ok, 90g better 120g FREAKING GREAT) you'll be better off. There are more items available in the 4' arena than 3'. No sense in limiting yourself from the get-go.

When doing DIY lights always Always ALWAYS consider that Salt Water WILL get into anything that's even in the same ZIP CODE as the tank LOL! It's like magic I tell ya. Just research it and over-build it when you can.

When you start planning/buying you'll want to think long-term! Don't settle on something for now thinking you may upgrade later. You WILL want more in the future so buy/build with that in mind and you'll be MONEY ahead.

When buying items for your tank don't skimp. Buy cheap buy twice (some of us didn't learn that until we bought FOURTH ) LOL

This hobby isn't cheap especially when you start up but with some research and patience you can make intelligent purchases that will last you a long time.

From there you'll be a little more prepared to start on this adventure.

Good luck and HAPPY REEFING!

DrLazer

Wow! Thanks a bunch guys, what an overwhelming response to my first post.

I think relistically it is going to be a long while before I introduce anything living into this tank. Thankyou kindly for the links I shall be reading every word over the next few days.

I got a package from amazon today, it had the book i ordered within it "Saltwater Aquariums for dummies" :)

I'm going to read through that I think first. There is a 3' tank going for like £15 on ebay I'm tempted to get it but will have to make a snap decision as it sells tonight.

I'm anticipating either purchasing or building a stand that contains a cabinet for the sump and all the other whizzery - I don't really want anything on display other than fish, plants and reef.

I'm pretty good at DIY - I built a whole halfpipe in my back garden (that reminds me actually it needs resurfacing, damn it). I think if I built a DIY system I would be ultimately a lot more attached to it. I could probably afford to go out and purchase a readymade kit but where is the fun in that! If I build something and fail drastically, at least I can have a good laugh at my attempts.

This whole thing is going to be a long slow proccess I'm afraid. I hope some of you follow my journey. I think I might actually sketch out some blueprints for the build and scan them in to see what you think, if thats cool?

Also - what are the limitations on having a 3' tank as opposed to a 4' tank. I'm not sure I have the room for a 4' - I'll measure up when i get back from work.

1Reefer

looks like a fun build to me! I'll follow on this one for sure! I don't rwally have any advise other than take your time and be patient but it sounds like you have that covered lol. Happy reefing and DIYin lol

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think relistically it is going to be a long while before I introduce anything living into this tank. Thankyou kindly for the links I shall be reading every word over the next few days.

I think that's an EXCELLENT plan! Steady wins the race with anything Salt Water :)

I got a package from amazon today, it had the book i ordered within it "Saltwater Aquariums for dummies" :)
I've got the same book. It's a good PRIMER and good for a chuckle here and there. Keep in mind that there are several ways to do almost everything in this hobby. What works in one tank may or may not work in yours. Learn how and WHY things work how they do so you can make an educted decision in your system.

I'm going to read through that I think first. There is a 3' tank going for like £15 on ebay I'm tempted to get it but will have to make a snap decision as it sells tonight.
Just be mindful... snap decisions often don't end up being such a good decision in the long run. The tank is such an important aspect of your system it would have to be in GREAT shape and one heck of a deal for me to opt for risking it used. Just my thoughts there . . .

I'm anticipating either purchasing or building a stand that contains a cabinet for the sump and all the other whizzery - I don't really want anything on display other than fish, plants and reef.

I'm pretty good at DIY - I built a whole halfpipe in my back garden (that reminds me actually it needs resurfacing, damn it). I think if I built a DIY system I would be ultimately a lot more attached to it. I could probably afford to go out and purchase a readymade kit but where is the fun in that! If I build something and fail drastically, at least I can have a good laugh at my attempts.

This whole thing is going to be a long slow proccess I'm afraid. I hope some of you follow my journey. I think I might actually sketch out some blueprints for the build and scan them in to see what you think, if thats cool?

Excellent ideas. You can use Google SketchUp to draw them and then you can save them as JPG, set up a Photobucket account (you'll want it eventually anyway... hint hint) and then post the pics here. If you'll visit my 90g SLOW BUILD you'll see that's essentially what I did ( I think i posted the blueprints anyway).

Also - what are the limitations on having a 3' tank as opposed to a 4' tank. I'm not sure I have the room for a 4' - I'll measure up when i get back from work.
Some fish need more lateral swim room than others. TANGs are one that get many a heated debate on every internet FISH forum there is. They require a LOT of swim-room and are often placed in much smaller tanks. There is nothing wrong with a 3' tank and if you really want to go the route you could always do a custom 3' x 3' x 3' CUBE! That would be a LOT of water :)

Happy Reefing :)

Well, if you're good at DIY you can accomplish much in this hobby. Welcome to the Reef Sanctuary! Start up a reef journal here so we can follow your progress.

DrLazer

Hi again everyone. Right I took your advice and gave Google SketchUp a crack. It wasn't the simplest thing I have ever used but I think I just about got what i wanted from it. Plus when I was drawing my design on paper with a biro I scribbled so many bits out and redrew them that it just looked like an inky mess. Here is the fruits of my rather pathetic labout lol ...

tank1.JPG

tank2.JPG

I measured up around the area I want to keep the tank and I cannot go bigger than 3ft I'm afraid, it's the limit of the available space.

This cabinet will sit with its back against the wall. The canopy at the top will not be hinged or anything but will have a flap that opens (i pencilled it on) with the light fitting attached underneath.

From the side view you can see the gap behind the tank. This is for tubes and electric cables, I will be drilling holes in the "desk" of the cabinet so that I can have all my equipment in the cupboard. When I make the actual thing, those gaps will be covered up with side panels. Also ... there will be doors on the front but i left them off so you can see inside. It is likely I will add another shelf in there, but until I know how big the sump and skimmer are going to be it'll stay like this.

Right then, any advice you have on the design would be gratefully recieved. :)

Uslanja

Welcome aboard! Your sketch is looking good! I have one suggestion for your stand design; try and build the framing under the tank solid enough to eliminate the middle support. This will afford you much more area for something like a sump, refugium, etc. You will eventually want that area as wide open as possible for something!

marine281

Nice job, google scetch is a great little program for DIY!

My thoughts would be removing the centre divider & putting a centre upright at the front. 1.5ft isn't a large sump once you get a return pump & skimmer in there. The more water the better!

If you go with a drilled tank, you can have the overflow in one corner & gain the rest of that gap as display area!

If you run a pump like the vortech mp40, then you won't need any wires in the display (the motor is driven magnetically through the glass). Your skimmer & heater can go in the sump for a nice neat tank.

A small hole in the rear of the hood would be all thats required to go to the lights.

DrLazer

Welcome aboard! Your sketch is looking good! I have one suggestion for your stand design; try and build the framing under the tank solid enough to eliminate the middle support. This will afford you much more area for something like a sump, refugium, etc. You will eventually want that area as wide open as possible for something!

Thankyou! I will certainly do just that, I could just use any old timber to add a central frame and get rid of that middle piece.

DrLazer

Nice job, google scetch is a great little program for DIY!

My thoughts would be removing the centre divider & putting a centre upright at the front. 1.5ft isn't a large sump once you get a return pump & skimmer in there. The more water the better!

If you go with a drilled tank, you can have the overflow in one corner & gain the rest of that gap as display area!

If you run a pump like the vortech mp40, then you won't need any wires in the display (the motor is driven magnetically through the glass). Your skimmer & heater can go in the sump for a nice neat tank.

A small hole in the rear of the hood would be all thats required to go to the lights.

Yeah you got me thinking now! I could maybe build a frame out of timber and then screw on the nice looking wood sheets on the edges. That way i wouldn't have to spend as much on nice looking wood.

I don't really want to drill the aquarium, i wouldn't trust its strength with a big hole in it.

How big should my sump be for a 24g tank?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Go drilled if you can. It will make life a LOT easier in the long run.

Also if you put a center brace in the stand you'll want to either:

A) Make it removable so you can get longer items in and our

or

B) Make a side access panel so you can slide longer items in from the side.

I chose (B) on my stand and I'm THRILLED I did. Without the side access everything would have to fit through the front openings greatly restricting what I could use.

Look at my 90g Chronicle for more details.

Great work on SketchUp. :)

marine281

Its a lot neater to get a drilled tank. There are millions of them out there, and though it may happen, i've never heard of a tank breaking becuase it had a hole in it.

I currently run a life reef hang on overflow, its a great product, but my new tank is drilled becuase its simpler & you don't have a big plastic box spoiling the view :)

You need to be careful using hang on overflows, as some out there are prone to failing when the power goes off, meaning that all the water in your return chamber in the sump will end up firstly in your display tank, then on the floor!

A square edge hole in glass has an excellent chance of cracking, but a rounded one is quite safe. Just get the holes drilled by whoever builds the tank.

The side acccess suggestion by BigAl is a great idea!