RO/DI alternatives?

soily

All above posts are very interesting and valid, but i do think that eventually mixing your own is the best course of action. I soon became bored of the 10 mile trip to the shop. Also remember you will need pure water occasionally for top ups. I also thought about the long term cost effectiveness, the easy access and also the control i have over the mixing. I know its not the same everywhere but my local store mixed my first few batches very lazily some were as low as 1.018 and as high as 1.027.
Another point to remember if you suddenly have some sort of tragedy and need a 50% change when the store is shut then having the unit will be a god send. Anyway good luck with what ever you decide, look forward to seeing your tank.

pete

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
MikeInToronto - Did you have the API unit adjusted to the recommended output for best results? When I did that it ran a lot slower than my RO/DI. It is possible to run run water through it a lot faster.

rb1414 - no wastewater with the API unit. One line in and one line out :) The cartridges are a carbon/DI resin combination - no RO membrane. The advantage to an RO membrane is that it will remove a lot of things that will escape a unit like the API.

How Reverse Osmosis Water Filter Systems Work and What They Do

I guess it might be overkill, but I'd rather get the most pollutant free water I can.

MikeInToronto - Did you have the API unit adjusted to the recommended output for best results? When I did that it ran a lot slower than my RO/DI. It is possible to run run water through it a lot faster.

It's been a few years (10, I think) since I last used an API. You set it for 1 cup per minute or something, right? All I can remember is setting it lower than the recommended rate and testing the water afterwards.

rb1414 - no wastewater with the API unit. One line in and one line out :) The cartridges are a carbon/DI resin combination - no RO membrane. The advantage to an RO membrane is that it will remove a lot of things that will escape a unit like the API.

Yup, no waste water. I've read it misses things but I don't understand this nor did I experience it. It should be purer than RO water alone.

Just trying to picture the set up for the thing. Also, the box says it attaches to a faucet in seconds -- does that mean it is convenient to just take it on and off when you want to use it or is that a pain and I should have a dedicated faucet? Thanks for all the input. Not sure why I find the whole RO/DI set up intimidating but I do.

The API unit is a clear plastic column filled with DI resin. Attached to the top is a grey cap with a nipple for the OUT water and on the bottom is a grey cap with a nipple for the IN water. You attach a blue tube to each nipple. To the tube on the bottom you attach the rubber sink adapter and pop this over your faucet nozzle. You put the OUT tubing in your bucket or reservoir or whatever. Adjust your water to 1cup/minute. The water flows upward through the unit and comes out the top. Discard the first cup or something on a new cartridge. That's it. Once you are done, remove one of the blue tubes and plug the opposite end of the remaining tube to the exposed nipple so the DI doesn't dry out and stick it under the sink or something. Easy. It comes with instructions ;) The resin changes colour so you know when it's expired.
I will warn you though that it is better to buy a sink diverter than to rely on the rubber adapter they give you. (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...594a9c230972d/f/a/faucet-diverter-valve_2.jpg)

For me, I got 50-75 gallons on a new cartridge and about 20 on recharges (which I wouldn't recommend doing unless you're masochistic). That is with Toronto water which is pretty good water to start with.

Something you might also want to consider if you like the water quality and you get good volume is this: You can buy 2 units and once you've used them both up, you can empty them and fill one with carbon and filter floss and the other with bulk DI resin. Then you just link the units together and this works out cheaper than buyer new API cartridges. And if you can find a supplier that provides separate anionic and cationic resins, you can use a third unit and link carbon/floss to anionic to cationic (or reverse I can't remember the order). This will give you better water because with mixed DI resin, the charges in the resins counteract each other to a small degree. You may even find people willing to give you their old cartridges or caps and tubes. But at some point you'll want to consider a RO/DI unit instead before it gets too crazy. Just like with RO units, the cost is in the replacement cartridges, not the unit itself. I had about 4 units at one point and I just tossed them all out.
Some people even use the spent columns for reactors of varying sorts.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The biggest problem I had with the API unit was my wife complaining I tied up the kitchen sink for a few hours filling jugs. :) It may have been a cup per minute, rather than a cup per hour. As I said I used it to fill my tank, and to make all of my water for the first several months, and I did get 0 TDS and had a healthy tank and no green algae outbreaks, so in my opinion it is a good little unit to use. My water is soft at only 20ppm hardness, so a cartridge would last for quite a while. I could tell if a cartridge was close to exhaustion a little bit prior to the resin changing color - I'd start to see some brown diatom showing up - silicates not been removed as well with an cartridge close to being exhausted.