3 day cycle

kospaintball

I went and checked out this new lfs today. Had some amazing prices. Stuff I would expect to pay 125 for would be like 35! The lady was very nice. But to the point of the mater. She said you can cycle a tank in 3 days by adding 75% established water and 25% new. I'm not going to say she is lying and I know she owns the lfs.. I don't think 3 days is accurate but would it weaken the peak so I dongt loose so many live rock critters

I went and checked out this new lfs today. Had some amazing prices. Stuff I would expect to pay 125 for would be like 35! The lady was very nice. But to the point of the mater. She said you can cycle a tank in 3 days by adding 75% established water and 25% new. I'm not going to say she is lying and I know she owns the lfs.. I don't think 3 days is accurate but would it weaken the peak so I dongt loose so many live rock critters

Cycling happens on the rocks/substrate, not the water. Rocks need to populate with bacteria not the water so that lady is wrong.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I cycled a tank recently. Used about 30 pounds base rock, and 20 pounds cured (for many months) live rock, added in a bacteria culture, some live sand from my DT to seed it, and some water from my DT; popped in some shrimp for ammonia, and it took a week to cycle. A week is pretty darn quick to cycle a new tank.

yeah....... the lady is wrong, its all in the rock and not the water. You could use 100% water from an established tank with uncrured live rock and it would take you a month or two to finish your cycle.

Its all about the live rock, if the live rock if fully cured (been sitting in an established tank for a a few months) then you might see a cycle in three days, if any. (depends on the rock, always test test test)

But it doesn't matter where the water comes from, its all about the rock
(if water from an established tank does help, it is very little)

I recently cycled a new frag tank, with 50lbs of fully cured live rock (from an established reef tank) and 100% new salt water, and I didn't have much of a cycle (because the live rock was already colonized with good bacteria) but I still waited a few weeks before adding anything to the tank. (probably could have added stuff within the first week, but waited just to be sure)

Its funny how many fish stores you can go to that will give you bunk information, it makes you wonder how they even keep the creatures in their tanks alive.

(this is just a reminder to ALWAYS get a second, third or even forth opinion (which you did, congrats!) when it involves anything (especially saltwater tanks) )

kospaintball

well i was sure the 3 day thing was bogus. i was just looking at trying to keep some of the critters on the rock from dieing. I know better than to believe everything the peeps from the lfs say.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Keep in mind that many LFS operate on a different set of "ideals" than we have. When I set my first tank up the LFS told me, "Add water on day one, test for ammonia the next day and if at Zero you're ready to start adding fish."

Well HELLO! Nothing was added to CREATE/ADD ammonia so of course it registered ZERO!

The above advice is accurate in that very small amounts of bacteria are suspended in the water column barring some type of rock or substrate scraping/mixing action. Yes there is SOME bacteria floating around or otherwise we'd have problems with tanks that don't have any other forms to introduce bacteria but it's not much.

Good idea to at least "question" her ideas. :bluenod: