Search results

1. Mperkins92

Fluval M60! First tank in 5 years!

Yesterday I was checking out my LFS and was surprised to see the same M60 set up that was there a year ago and ended up buying one. I wanted one before but had convinced myself a RSM was the only tank that size that would work for me but seeing their success changed my mind. The kit I got...
  2. Mperkins92

Getting back to salt

Hi I used to have a large reef tank but had to break it down. I'm finally settled into my new home and would like to get another setup started. I want a movable tank as I'm not sure how long I'll live here. I want to stock 2 clownfish, and a watchmen goby/ pistol Shrimp in a reef tank...
  3. Mperkins92

I want to start a salt tank again, help wanted

Hello everybody. I used to have a 90 gallon salt tank setup but had to break it down when i moved. I'm finally starting to get settled in and i want to start piecing together a new tank. something around 40 gallons. My plan so far is a 40 with a sump/refugium my unknown however is...
  4. Mperkins92

fish tank withdrawal

I recently moved and had to get rid of my 85 gallon reef tank and it was very sad. Long story short I'm hoping to move soon but am unsure when that will be so I'm feeling the need to set up a nano cube until I can get into my own house and get started on a large tank. I've seen a lot of tanks...
  5. Mperkins92

Compendium maybe?

after a lot of looking around for LEDs i've noticed there are a lot of different brands that look very similar, however there are a lot of garbage units. I'm hoping we could gather definitive information about these LEDs/units and hopefully keep the thread at a readable length. I'd like to...
  6. Mperkins92

early start cube build.

Hey everyone. i'm planning on moving to Grand rapids in the next few months and won't be able to take my 90 gallon reef with me so heres my plan. I'm working on selling the large (for me) tank and as soon as possible begin starting up a new system exactly how i want. The plan so far is to get...
  7. Mperkins92

90 gallon setup for sale

I'm selling my 90 gallon reef tank because i'll be moving soon and won't be able to take care of it. The tank is fully stocked and been running for about 8 months. Livestock list is as follows. - 2 ocellaris clown fish - 3 blue chromes - 1 coral beauty - 1 six line wrasse - 1...
  8. Mperkins92

Downgrading :( tank help

I'm planning on moving soon and sadly i will most likely have to get a smaller tank when i move. I want to get the aqua illumination sol nano for the tank which i believe would go well with a cube tank. My problem is i don't know where a good place for a cube is. i'm planning on keeping it...
  9. Mperkins92

First time fragging!

So i've got a rock of what used to be zooanthids thats been over run by xenia. I've been wanting to deal with them for awhile but didn't know how exactly. But now i've got the deluxe fragging kit from BRS thanks to my girlfriend and i'm ready to prune. I have a few questions first tho. I think...
  10. Mperkins92

Is it safe to vacuum?

I've let my HA go and grow in hope that it would consume all the nutrients from a fish mishap and an un cycled rock and it appears to have stopped (greatly slowed growing) and I want it gone now. Most of it is on the sanded and I'm preparing for a water change. Is it safe to just vacuum it all...
  11. Mperkins92

Is breeding very profitable?

I've been wanting to start breeding fish for awhile but am having trouble getting started as I'm worried if I'd make any money Doing it? If not I'll have to wait unroll I can support it through other means.
  12. Mperkins92

De humidifier idea

I'm currently running a de humidifier in the room with my fish tank because of all the evaporation. Right now I'm taking water out of the air and pouring it away then filtering new water for top offs. Has anyone ever tested the quality of water from a de humidifier? If its good could you just...
  13. Mperkins92

Light timer problem

I have a coralife timer for my lights with two wheels that are supposed to turn and control my actnics and day lights but last night the actnic one stopped turning. The motor is broken I believe. I'm in need of a new timer and short on money. If anyone has an idea for a fix it would be...
  14. Mperkins92

HA eater

I'm planning on heading to the lfs later today to pick up a fish to eat my HA. I've got a 90 gallon reef tank 4'. The only fish in there are a six line wrasse and a lawnmower blenny who hasn't taken a liking to the HA. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thankyou!
  15. Mperkins92

Powder blue tang

In the beginning I naively bought a blue tang and sadly he died. Next I though a yellow tang would be fine but due to not quarantining he brought black ich with him. I'd love to get another tang because their beautiful and eat HA in my experience. There is still black ich pathogens in the tank I...
  16. Mperkins92

How did you get started

My whole life I never really had an interest in fish unroll I got a betta fish. He was cool but I wanted a bigger tank with more fish. Then I realized how much cooler saltwater is so I bought a small tank off Craigslist and shortly after that I upgraded to a 85 gallon tank. This whole process...
  17. Mperkins92

Anyone looking to upgrade

Im running with an 85 gallon tank and 30 gallon refugium. I'm not positive if it's coming down yet by I do want a smaller "high end" tank in its place. If anyone is interested in upgrading to larger tank I can provide more info
  18. Mperkins92

LED light for reef

AI Sol - Performance I've been looking into making my own led fixture, but at the same time wanting this flashy looking fixture. BRS recommended i buy one of these for each foot of tank but i was looking at their PAR ratings and realized its pushing out 160 par at least at the sand bed...
  19. Mperkins92

Leds

I'm going to need to replace my T5s soon and at the same time i want to be able to keep more things in my tank and keep my btw happier so i planned on upgrading to MH, However if i'm going to do that i might as well upgrade to LED as i'm sure it will pay itself off rather shortly. My tank is is...
  20. Mperkins92

Qt setup

After being reckless with my tank previously. I would like to step back and re approach this hobby slowly. First step is a qt. This is what I currently have 1x 20 gallon tank 1x hang on filter with bio wheel 1x bubbler (don't remember the name) 1x led light fixture Tank also has a hood 1x...