LED light for reef

Mperkins92

AI Sol - Performance

I've been looking into making my own led fixture, but at the same time wanting this flashy looking fixture.
BRS recommended i buy one of these for each foot of tank but i was looking at their PAR ratings and realized its pushing out 160 par at least at the sand bed which according to them is enough for even the most light demanding corals. any input?

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I was looking into that as well. I know a few people on here have them and are very happy with it. They all have mixed reefs so they will support SPS

dmatt88

Did u look at Apollo leds? 4 or so of us have em n love the lights. Double the par of AI. Sorry AI folks.

........the mayor votes funlad for president!

Uslanja

Hi Matt! We've been following the LED threads because we're playing with the "should we upgrade our lighting" thoughts. We checked out the Apollo site, but we're lost, can you tell us which light you're using or a link or anything to help us old folks out with all this new technology?

dmatt88

Apolloreefled.com. the guy is Joe. Real helpful. U can search Apollo on YouTube n see the stuff. I bought 3 dimmable fixtures.

Mperkins92

Do you know how many the people that use them are running? The apollo reef fixtures seem very good but almost a to good to be true kind of thing. and matt How large of a tank are you running the apollos on?

steved13

PREMIUM
I'm using 4 AI super Blues on my 250G DD, I run them at 70% max. I'm very pleased with the results.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
And just to play the "Devil's Advocate"..... you may want to keep an eye out on this big hitter coming out on the LED front (details just a few weeks away)
Yes, GHL will release their own LED pending lamp soon!

After more than 2 years of development we are proud to present a modern and innovative LED-lamp, which doesn't leave any wishes open in my opinion.
We didn't want to release just another LED-lamp with the usual features, we wanted to develop one of the best LED-lamps on the market!

Here are some of the highlights - but I will not tell everything, this happens when the lamp is released officially in May!

LEDs:
- 8 light colors, all separately dimmable: ultra white, royal blue, blue, true green, yellow, red, hyperred and UV (420 nm)
- 62 LEDs per lamp
- 6 separately replacable LED-clusters on IMS boards
- PAR: I think more than you need!

Intelligence + Userinterface:
- own controller (32 Bit ARM)
- graphical display, 6 touch-Keys

communication:
- radio (2.4 GHz)
- USB

Operation modes:
- standalone (runs autonomous)
- master (controls other lamps wirelessly)
- slave (is controlled from other lamps or ProfiLux wirelessly)

Energy:
- high-efficiency mode (max. economy and LED lifetime)
- high output mode (max. brightness)

Thermal management:
- innovative cooling concept with 4 extremely quiet and compact cooling fans
- fans are temperature controlled

Design:
- select out of several colors
- fans and heatsinks are not visible from outside
- ca. 300 mm x 200 mm x 40 mm

Functions:
- sliding clouds and sunrise over several lamps
- all illumination functions of ProfiLux
- full control over output light spectrum

Others:
- firmware updates possible
- true dimming technology: non visible brightness steps with more than 3000 dimming steps per channel
- incl. lamp holder
- universal power supply with wide range input

and much much more ...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/76411-something-new-coming-out-soon.html

In that thread you can see the Spectral Graphs showing the Peaks for each color. I'm waiting for them to release some PAR charts any time now (it could set the bar extremely HIGH for other LED companies)

Built347

Apolloreefled.com. the guy is Joe. Real helpful. U can search Apollo on YouTube n see the stuff. I bought 3 dimmable fixtures.

+1.. to all of it actually..

dmatt88

I have 3 over a 220. Perfect coverage. Built, Bearjohnson n danS I know have them as well. Just requires either an apex controller or profilux controller to dim.

Built347

I have 3 over a 125... these lights are so awesome but on my tank its such a waste of talent IMO.. I only needed 3 for coverage.. I have tried 3 times to dim them over 50% and my green montiz start bleaching... I guess if I put all of my sps/lps on the sand bed and then completely bury all of the zoas in the sand I could run them at 55-60%... :D

dmatt88

Well stated. Even on a 30" tall tank I run at 60 Max.

Built347

Really depends on the measurementsof the tank... my 125 would only need one if it was 6' tall instead of 6' long..lol.. what is it Matt 36"x 30" coverage per lamp... I think that's it.... power is not an issue with the Apollos ( they put down 550 par at 24")... its coverage... coverage is an issue with every light tho..

twoclowns

I think any of the mentioned leds are great. Bottom line I think you would be hard pressed to find cheap ones that compare to these.

Mperkins92

The solar blas is very impressive. I think over a standard 4 foot 85 gal two of those would work just fine for me