Search results

1. C

Getting that last inch of water/sand out

i'm breaking down my 90 before i move this weekend, and i'm stuck for how to get that last inch of water/sand out of the bottom of the tank? anyone have any suggestions? thanks! charlie
  2. C

WTB: Cup lid for Aqua C remora skimmer

i have the skimmer cup, but my lid has disappeared... i'm afraid i've thrown it out. anyone have a spare Remora cup lid layin around that they'd part with for a few bucks? thanks! charlie
  3. C

sizing a chiller

i'm trying to get a chiller for my new setup, as i've had major temp issues on my current 90, and want to keep a good solid temperature in my new setup. 40 gallon breeder 20 gallon frag tank 30 gallon sump (15 gallons of water normally) lights... 5x39w t5 on the 40, and 5x24w of t5 on...
  4. C

Charlie97L's 40 Breeder System

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've been around here... work has been crazy, and my mother has been having some health issues. So, I'm moving home in August to help her out some... She's just having post-op cataract issues, nothing serious (like heart/cancer serious or anything) but she's...
  5. C

OT: anyone live in charleston, sc?

well guys, i'm contemplating moving in the next year... just tossing around ideas. i decided i don't want to live the rest of my life in the dc area. it's just too crowded and the people aren't particularly nice (the people in my club are, but in general, not so much.) anyone live in...
  6. C

4 days without feeding this weekend?

i'm going away for the weekend coming up (leaving friday afternoon, and returning monday night). will my fish be ok with no/little feeding during that time? i was going to have one of my local club buddies stop by once or twice to check on the tank, and they'll feed... would it be better to...
  7. C

OT: who has to work today?

i'd rather work ON christmas, than the day after. it's terrible. the only good thing is that there's no one here today. i had to work friday, and sunday as well. didn't feel a whole lot like christmas this year. oy. at least i get to go out of town next weekend for new years!
  8. C

i love dither fish!!

i just turned on the lights after acclimating my 3 new lyretails today, and wow, both my tangs are finally out of the rockwork. i love dither fish! i ordered 4, but 2 had already started to go to male, so i put the more peppy one in, and the other one is sitting in the bucket, he's going to...
  9. C

yellow tang with cloudy eye?

my yellow tang has what seems to be a cloudy eye. any idea what i can do about it? is it an infection? treatment? i doubt i can catch him. i haven't been feeding as much nori as usual, mostly pellets... could that be a factor?
  10. C

LFS Smell in my house

ok, with my newly installed 90, that's doing well... almost done (more rock and sand going in this weekend) i get the musty humid smell like you get in the lfs... any suggestions? i know a) running carbon will help, and b) i've heard putting a bag of carbon on top of the skimmer cup will...
  11. C

snail id... sundial?

i see a snail i haven't seen before. it has weird markings on the shell. anyone?
  12. C

softies ok with only 5-8x turnover?

i'm thinking about doing a pair of seahorses in that 20g that is almost set up at the moment... would softies (leathers, photosynthetic gorgs, zoas, etc.) be ok in a tank with that turnover?
  13. C

how many lyretails do ya think?

i'm going to be ordering some lyretails from NYaquatics... i was wondering how many i should get. 90gallon (48x18x24) w/ 33 gallon long sump and 4 gallon fuge deltec ap 600 2 tunze 6000s on a controller (xmas present!!) eheim 1262 CL on a wavy sea planned stocking list yellow tang...
  14. C

not corraline, but brown encrusting algae

i was over at a friend's house last night, and he is having a weird problem with his 180. it's got almost NO corraline growth, despite being up for over a year, instead it has a brown encrusting algae type stuff. it looks like something that would be on a dock pylon. he also has trouble...
  15. C

20G Softie Nano Weekend Build

well, i noticed my SPS weren't looking as good as could be, so I moved my leathers to the sump (i slapped a grow light down there temporarily) and voila, better color in like 2 days on the sps. SO. i had the 20g custom acrylic in my closet from the aborted CBS build, and I decided on Wednesday...
  16. C

clam dying... remove?

well it looks like my crocea is giving up as well. i'll have to test all my params tonight. i think the move may have just been too stressful, as all my sps look really good. should i take him out ASAP?
  17. C

anyone running t5 vho and MH?

i was wondering if anyone was doing this, and what your success was? on my 90, i have 2x250w mh with (i'm planning) 10K xm, and 220w super actinic VHO. i have a 2 bulb 36" t5 retro layin around, and i want a little more blue. do you think tossing that on with blue plus bulbs would do well...
  18. C

quarantining gorgonians

hey all, i'm picking up 2 photo gorgonians from sealifeflorida.com , and i feel i need to quarantine them. i've never quarantined coral before, as my LFS's do, and i haven't ordered anything from online that was live before this. what would the procedure be? i know for SPS parasites will...
  19. C

Charlie97L's 90 Gallon Reef

Well guys, I thought I'd start a new thread to denote the new era of reef goodness that has popped up in my house. find all the goodness of this tank's predecessor in my old chronicle thread... here: (from the beginning)...
  20. C

flow in an sps tank

i'm working on my newly set up 90 (pics coming guys, promise!!), which is going to be around 50% sps, and i'm tweaking my flow. my question is this... how necessary is massive flow for SPS success? i have a mag 7 return, teed off of two outlets, and a wavysea closed loop being fed by an...