softies ok with only 5-8x turnover?

Charlie97L

i'm thinking about doing a pair of seahorses in that 20g that is almost set up at the moment... would softies (leathers, photosynthetic gorgs, zoas, etc.) be ok in a tank with that turnover?

lcstorc

I have mushrooms, zoas, a sea whip, xenia and couple of gorgonians in my seahorse tank and all but one of the gorgonians are doing just fine in a stock 24g aquapod.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yes, the soft corals should be fine with that turnover rate. You will want to 'blow off' the rocks frequently to keep the pores clean.

Charlie97L

thanks woody... since i got no response at seahorse.org after almost a week, :-( i'm thinking i'm not going to do it... blah.

they had really nice CB kudas and reidis at the store, too. poo.

anyone have seahorse experience here?

lcstorc

I have Kudas and love them. Probably the most entertaining thing in my tanks. In fact one of the things on the Christmas list is a bigger tank for them. I too have had problems getting answers at seahorse.org, but have been able to get a lot of info from reading the previous posts and info section. Let me know if you have any questions, I will do my best to answer, but bottom line I love my ponies.

Charlie97L

ok i'll post what i posted there, and get your opinion.

i get the feeling over there that it's cliquish, and you have to be "in" to get responses, even from my short time there.

have a 20g that i recently setup for my softies, and i wanted to know if it was appropriate to keep a pair of kuda or reidi successfully. i'm not married to the idea, and if not, that's fine, i'd rather wait, and set up a better tank for them down the road if this one won't be ideal. if i can't do them in here, i can't, obviously. I'm very into conservation, and won't attempt something not feasible to satisfy a whim.

Specs:
20g (24x12x16") custom acrylic with external overflow and 2 locline returns.
10g sump
Remora Skimmer w mj1200
50w heater
130w PC fixture (Current USA)

The biggest question is the return pump. I can pretty much throw anything in there. what would be the best solution? Also, I've been reading a lot of conflicting ideas on temperature.

Livestock...
12 zoanthid sp.
1 palythoa sp.
2 sinularia (colt/pulsing)
1 yellow sarcophyton
1 pink toadstool
3 gorgonian sp. (photosynthetic)
1 gsp colony
1 featherduster
1 green clown goby
2 peppermint shrimp
~30lbs live rock
2" aragonite sand

I also have yumas and floridas, but I read on this site's compatibiliy chart that they weren't ideal. I can always move those if need be to my main sps reef. same goes for the palys.

Anyway, given the right flow setup, do you anticipate any issues? I live near Draco Marine in MD, so I'd probably get them there, if this works out.

i know my return pump has a lot to do with it. i've read a lot of conflicting opinions on flow, and i'd like some input from the authorities.

thanks!!