clam dying... remove?

Charlie97L

well it looks like my crocea is giving up as well. i'll have to test all my params tonight.

i think the move may have just been too stressful, as all my sps look really good.

should i take him out ASAP?

mps9506

If he is dead yes. Seems most of the time the fish and clean up crew will clean up a clam really quickly if they die though.

Charlie97L

yeah... well i couldn't get him out before i left for work, so we'll see what's left when i get home.

are there any parasites or anything i should watch out for?

i've only introduced a few new pieces of coral, and those were all from systems that had clams in them, so i'm baffled.

you guys think it was the transfer? both my clams are gone :( ... my cleaner shrimp and linckia are both ok, though, and i figure them to be the most sensitive animals i have (maybe not as bad as some sps, but still).

SueT

clams can be funny. they can be hardy as heck or bottom up for no apparant reason. If you just went through a move that may of been the reason but I would think being as crocea's are fairly hardy that shouldn't of upset the clam unless other things were also upset. Test for the usual stuff and see if soemthing is off but again I think you'd be seeing other corals and especially sps if something was off. Clams can get pyramid snails but if the clam came from another reefers tank they should be ok.

Charlie97L

oh it's totally dead. i'm sorry i wasn't more clear.

*sigh*

i'm going to take out what's left today, any recommendations on cleaning? the shell? I want to save it for future clams to attach to.

i have no idea. i know the smaller one died from stress. this one had been through a tank crash (not mine) and 2 injuries (powerhead/rock). i never got him to attach to anything either, in the 7 months i've had it.

all my params are good. my sps, shrimp, and linckia all look great. it was probably the move. i'm not sure.

i do know it hadn't been looking good since i got the xm 250w 15ks. i highly caution anyone against using this bulb on anything but the shallowest tank. the par is almost unreadable on the bottom of my 90. i'm not blaming that, this is definitely an aside.

anyway, yeah. :( i'm going to wait a while for everything to settle down before i try another clam.

SueT

sorry to hear that.. just leave the shell outside and let it dry out and then you can scrape it and keep it for future use. I keep all my clams in clam halfshells. I have heard the same thing about these 15k's. Being that crocea's need the more intense lighting the 10k's are the best spectrum for clam keeping. While the other things you listed as this clam went through I'm sure the lighting didn't help. So sorry and I think you're right to let things settle before getting another clam.

Charlie97L

thanks! i'm picking up an xm10K setup this weekend, so that problem is solved, at least.

do i need to make sure the "meat" is out before i put it outside? I don't want to poison any woodland critters or anything.

SueT

that shouldn't be a problem. The clam will come out in a clump and you will have to be sure to get all of it to come out and not fall back into the tank. It may be a stinker too..