LFS Smell in my house

Charlie97L

ok, with my newly installed 90, that's doing well... almost done (more rock and sand going in this weekend)

i get the musty humid smell like you get in the lfs... any suggestions?

i know a) running carbon will help, and b) i've heard putting a bag of carbon on top of the skimmer cup will help.

any validity to those ideas? also, any other suggestions?

prow

carbon helps but takes awhile. did you use uncured rock? for me i would look to see where the smell is coming from. i know i know the tank, right. if its the rock, water changes, water changes till all the die off is handled togather with good skimming, water flow and adding some carbon. are there dead spots flow wise in the tank, that will cause a foul smell aswell.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
prow said:
carbon helps but takes awhile. did you use uncured rock? for me i would look to see where the smell is coming from. i know i know the tank, right. if its the rock, water changes, water changes till all the die off is handled togather with good skimming, water flow and adding some carbon. are there dead spots flow wise in the tank, that will cause a foul smell aswell.
If it smells humid I would be looking at air circulation in the room. Like Prow says a new tank is stinkieeee .Steve

Charlie97L

not uncured rock... i moved my 58 to the 90. haha i know what that smells like. :)

anyhoo. yeah. i dunno guys. i'm going to start running carbond and see if thqt helps.

the air circulation in my HOUSE sucks in general.

mps9506

Ya, no problem, just send the deltec to me. I'll send you a seaclone to fix your problem :D

boozeman

mps9506 said:
It's the deltec. Get a skimmer that doesn't skim as well and your problem will be fixed :D
ahhhhhh...the smell of nog in the morning :lol:
get a waste collector with a charcoal filter cap
:clink:

Charlie97L

ah ha! is deltec easily compatible with those?

what, do you just drill the collection cup?

someone suggested putting a pinch of kalk in the skimmer cup after cleaning, also, anyone done that?

mps9506

booze has you on the wrong track. Seriously, just send the deltec to me and your smelly problem will be solved :D

btw, I'm not familiar with the kalk solution. I would imagine baking soda might help, but sounds messy.
I like the carbon on top of the cup or effluent container better.

Charlie97L

hahhahaa oh mike. you'd hate me if i told you how much i paid for it too. :)

i'll sell it to you when i upgrade to a 701. mmmkay?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yes, I have used the kalk powder in the skimmate area... it works really well. Try it.