quarantining gorgonians

Charlie97L

hey all, i'm picking up 2 photo gorgonians from sealifeflorida.com , and i feel i need to quarantine them.

i've never quarantined coral before, as my LFS's do, and i haven't ordered anything from online that was live before this.

what would the procedure be? i know for SPS parasites will be pretty obvious, but i'm not familiar with gorgonian issues. I know you can't exactly medicate or anything.

suggestions/tips/hints/advice? :)

thanks!

Dragon Wrasse

Sorry I don't have any good advise for you....I would put it in a hospital tank if you have one and monitor it in there, then transfer it after a couple of weeks.....here's a Bump for you......BUMP.....

i would blast any alge u see on the gorg off of it i brought a red one home that had cyano on it of course i did not notice it due to the color but now i have to keep up on cyano on a daily basis

i dont use chem. but this problem may force me to try chemi clean

feed them often for success with gorgs they will close up and be stubborn if u dont feed them almost everyday (cyclopeze or rotifers) maybe baby brine shrimp if ur feelin bored and want to do a culture

Charlie97L

they are photosynthetic, so don't have to be fed.

thanks for the algae tip.

can i perhaps do a seachem dip or iodine dip? would that help?

I purchased a couple of gorgonians from Sea Life and was very pleased with them. The yellow sea whip and purple plume are doing very well and growing quickly in my tank. Very easy to frag and fast growing.

Witfull

im bad,,,very bad...i have never QT'd a coral or invert. rinse flush and plop.

ps, even photosynthetic gorgs like to be fed. i should know,,,i have 5 diff varieties in my tank. cyclopeeze, fine ground mush, even flake crumbs,,,,they will enjoy~

Charlie97L

wit, yeah i know... i feed all my coral... i was just confirming i had ordered photo ones. i'm not insane!! no blueberries for me!

Charlie97L said:
did you quarantine? what did you do, if you ddi? iodine dip? etc?

No dips or quarantine...just visually inspected and usual acclimation (float, acclimate to salinity, etc.)

God bless,
Disciple

SueT

just got my Coral magazine and the cover has a sweet gorg. They have a great article on them. Haven't read it yet but will be in a few..