Search results

1. kyley

Anyone going to MACNA?

Hey Guys, Any of your RSM owners going to MACNA this weekend? If so, let me know! I'll be there with my son all weekend! :) I'm in Kansas City and though the 3 hour drive would be worth it. Take care, --Kyle
  2. kyley

Yellow Tang with Black Ich - How to Avoid Reinfection?

Hi All, I have a Yellow Tang in my QT (plain QT with just sponge filters). It has Black Ich. I understand the process for treating it (FW dips, Formalin dips, or alternating). I'll do the first FW dip today. There's one problem I have with the process though. The tang has been in my QT...
  3. kyley

Undetectable issues with my tank - ideas?

Hi All, I'm in need of some assistance from the experts here as I'm having issues with some corals lately - primarily the easiest of corals - zoanthids. I'm providing a lot of detail so you can help troubleshoot, so I apologize if this gets long. :) I've been running a Red Sea Max 250 (65...
  4. kyley

Brown stuff killing my zoanthids - suggestions?

Hi All, I've battled zoa nudis (successfully), zoa pox (mostly successfully), and now this brown gunk on my zoas - all my other corals do great in my tank - even SPS! :( Tank parameters are all great. Is this a fungus or something? Or maybe even a variant of the zoa pox? Any ideas what I...
  5. kyley

Another BSJF Issue?

Hi All, After my BSJF's recovery from (apparently) Ich and Brook about 9 weeks ago, I'm afraid I may have another situation with "Spot"... Could he have some type of worms? If so, is there anti-worming food that can be fed to him in the DT (reef safe)? His stomach is swollen /...
  6. kyley

Bubble Trap and Foam Mechanical Filter - Do you use them?

Hi All, Just wondering how many of you use these - and how many have taken them out? I still have mine in, but am considering removing them... Today I rinsed the bubble trap foam and couldn't believe how much brown dirty water I was able to squeeze out of it! Hadn't cleaned it in probably a...
  7. kyley

Cyano - Anybody used ZeoBak / Coral Snow or Special Blend?

Hi All, I'm dealing with an outbreak of Cyano that I can't figure out. I read of others using ZeoVit ZeoBac and Coral Snow and some using Special Blend water conditioner for Cyano outbreaks. I've been battling for about 4 weeks now (haven't done a whole lot other than trying to siphon a bit...
  8. kyley

Here are good *Quiet* fans for RSM tanks

Hi All, I've built a lot of computers in my days and always try to get them as quiet as possible so have some experience in this area (always looking for nice, quiet fans!). Unfortunately for us, Red Sea used 60mm fans which are rarely used in computers today and typically aren't quiet at all...
  9. kyley

Successful BSJF Treatment & Recovery - Steps to Take

Hi All, Lynn requested I post here about my BSJF that was on the brink of death and has come back with a lot of trial and error and eventual success in treatment. To be clear, I am no expert on this at all (just started reef keeping in December), but I've learned a lot through this process...
  10. kyley

Chalice, Elegance questions

Hi All, A couple quick questions I'm hoping someone can help with: 1. I have a crocea clam on a flat rock with a little space beside it. I was thinking of putting a chalice next to it (on the flat rock). My questions on this: a. Would a chalice coral sting a clam beside / above it or...
  11. kyley

Pump for Chiller / Acc Kit for RSM 250?

Hi All, Trying to figure out the best way to hook up my chiller... I want to put the pump in the right chamber, correct? I'll hook it up to the Acc Kit and that will flow through hoses to the chiller on the floor. Then the pump will push water through the chiller and back up into the tank...
  12. kyley

Alk & pH issues - suggestions?

Hi All, I've been having some issues with Alk (low - 6 today) and pH (high - has gotten to 8.5 when I try to push Alk higher). I'm trying to figure out a better way to manage them. I've been using Ms Wage's Pickling Lime in my ATO in addition to ESV B-Ionic 2-Part Alk / Ca dosing. Am I...
  13. kyley

Fish Prep (clean & disinfect)?

Hey Lee (and anyone else that can help), Thanks again for your help with Spot. I'm asking a question here for Reefhusker's benefit as well as my own. He has some fish coming in today, no QT, and needs to get him in his DT. I have a midas blenny on order at a LFS that will come in soon, but...
  14. kyley

White blotches on zoanthids (and other growths) - ID?

Hi All, Wasn't sure if this should go in the hitchhiker ID or here - but these are all recent discoveries in my tank... 1. I think I have gotten rid of the zoanthid nudibranchs I had, but now I'm seeing something else on my zoanthids (not nudi eggs either). Any idea what these white...
  15. kyley

BSJF dying?

Hi All, I just returned from a week vacation and everything in my tank looks great (coral growth, all other fish and inverts look great), except my BSJF that has spots (growths?) on its head and white splotches along its sides. I don't know how long it's been like this, but based on others'...
  16. kyley

New BSJF Owner - Getting it to "Move"?

Hi All, Can I join the club? :) I got a BSJF last night - my son named it "Spot" of course. Spot has already made a home, but in a bad location (we can barely see him). It's near the back of the tank behind some of the rockwork. So, my questions: 1. Do these fish move to a different...
  17. kyley

Quarantine tank question - keeping NH3/4, NO2/3 levels low

Hi All, I have a QT setup with a sponge filter and air pump running down to it. It's bare bottom, no rock, just a heater, basic light / hood, and that's it. I have a Red Firefish in it right now. Oh, and there's a small handful of macro algae that the LFS through in with the fish - I kept it...
  18. kyley

Help - pH spike?

Hi All, I was preparing for my 5 day trip and added Red Sea Coral Buff to raise my alkalinity some (enough for 0.5 meq). First time I've really used that - I usually use baked baking soda (Sodium Carbonate). Apparently that really boosted the pH. I'm reading 8.61 right now with my pH meter...
  19. kyley

Help evaluate my fish plan?

Hi All, I got my first fish yesterday - an ocellaris clown - for my 65 gallon Red Sea Max 250. :) The other fish I plan (hope) to get are listed below. I've done a good amount of research in my selections, but could use some expert opinions! Most are peaceful with a couple semi-aggressive...
  20. kyley

Newbie considering a BTA - a few questions...

Hi All, Can some of you anemone experts clarify a few questions for me about BTAs? I have a 65 gallon Red Sea Max and just got my first fish - an ocellaris clown fish (may consider a second). My tank is about 6 weeks old and has had CUC in it for a couple weeks+ (I also have a couple...