Help - pH spike?

kyley

Hi All,
I was preparing for my 5 day trip and added Red Sea Coral Buff to raise my alkalinity some (enough for 0.5 meq). First time I've really used that - I usually use baked baking soda (Sodium Carbonate). Apparently that really boosted the pH. I'm reading 8.61 right now with my pH meter and around the same with an API test. Is this dangerous to the tank? How can I reduce it? I'm nervous as I'm about to leave town for 5 days early in the morning. Previously, my pH had been stable right around 8.30...

Anything around the house I can use to reduce it - b/c it's late already and with my 6:30 AM flight I certainly can't go anywhere in the AM :( BTW, I added the Coral Buff about an hour ago - could it just go down naturally in a little while?

Alkalinity was 8 dKH (2.87 meq) - now 10 dKH (3.57 meq) after adding the Coral Buff...

Side note, my calcium suddenly seems to be depleting rapidly. I'd been maintaining 460 with my Mrs Wage's Pickling Lime mixed in my ATO water. But the past couple days I've had trouble keeping it above 400. Thanks in advance,
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I would think the pH will drop back down on it's own. I don't think I'd mess with adding anything to drop it.

When you get back check the Mg level.

kyley

My wife checked today and it was 8.46. So it's come down, but still higher than I'd like... ATO has pickling lime mixed in, so that may be helping to keep the pH high.

One thing I should have noted earlier - when I added the Coral Buff, I also added the Calcium part of the 2-part Ca solution... Maybe the combination of the two drove the pH up so high?

I didn't really hear from anyone - is ~8.6 dangerously high? How high is too high (to cause real problems)? TTYL,
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I think the Coral Buff and the Part 2 will both raise alk as well as pH so that may be the reason the pH went up so much. At least it's coming down now.

pH of 7.8 - 8.5 is considered acceptable, so you didn't get much above that. Upward spikes in pH are considered less harmful than downward spikes in pH, so I think you'll be just fine.

Here's a good read whwn you have time:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com