Here are good *Quiet* fans for RSM tanks

kyley

Hi All,
I've built a lot of computers in my days and always try to get them as quiet as possible so have some experience in this area (always looking for nice, quiet fans!). Unfortunately for us, Red Sea used 60mm fans which are rarely used in computers today and typically aren't quiet at all (the smaller the fan, the louder they are).

Anyway, on my quest to find the perfect fans for our tanks, here's what I've found. Most are above 30 dBA. It would be best to find one below 20 dBA - although these ratings can't always be trusted. I looked for user reviews of fans when I could - and also went by past experience. Please note, in running lower CFM (cubic feet / minute) fans, you're risking shorter life of your bulbs. However, there are fans that are much quieter and still produce good airflow by good fan design. Also, I believe that our lights could tolerate a small reduction in flow and still be cooled sufficiently, but just be aware that there is a bit of risk there.

EDIT: The RSM 250 light hood actually uses 60mm x 20mm fans - some have cut a bit of plastic to make fit 60mm x 25mm fans fit. I'm going that route with mine and will report my results, but will also try 60mm x 20mm fans. So, be aware that my list of 60mm x 25mm fans may require a bit of effort to fit in the hood!

So, here's a list of good fans to consider that are 60mm x 20mm fans and will fit the RSM 250 light hood without modification (unfortunately, I couldn't find any sub-20 dBA fans, but the first one is close!):
  1. Scythe Mini Kaze 60mm x 20mm Silent Mini Fan (SY602012L) - should be a really good option at 20 dBA and 12.30 CFM and a reasonable $7 price tag. I was really surprised to find a fan that would be a good option at this size! :) Scythe is a popular manufacturer of fans, but this does use a sleeve bearing (which don't last as long as the ball bearing fans do). It's a bit cheaper on eBay. I ordered it here and will compare the fit / sound / flow of the two different sized fans when I install them.
  2. ADDA AD0612LS-C71GL-LF - 21.6 dBA, 13.3 CFM, $7.71 - another good fan at this size with a bit more flow / noise.
  3. ADDA AD0612MX-C70GL-LF - If you'd prefer a little more flow and will tolerate a bit more noise, this one may be okay too - 25.7 dBA, 14.5 CFM - $9.62.
  4. Everflow R126020BL 3000rpm Ball Bearing Case Fan - on eBay - 25.4 dBA, 14.88 CFM, $9.
  5. EVERCOOL EC6020M12CA 60x60x20mm 4000RPM Cooling Fan - 26 dBA, 18.72 CFM - sounds like good specs, but at 4,000 rpm, I kind of doubt the relatively low noise - $5 on eBay.
  6. JMC 60mm x 20mm 2BB Temp Controlled Variable Speed Fan - This one may get loud as it is thermally controlled and the lights probably generate enough heat to keep this fan operating on the high end of the fan speed (at least on the output fans) - up to 22.18 CFM and up to 36.2 dBA (so could be pretty loud - I'm not sure how sensitive it would be to our light temps) - $3.50

If you want to try to fit 60mm x 25mm fans in the RSM 250 light hood with a bit of plastic cutting, there are these choices:
  1. Probably the best combination of quiet and sufficient air flow are the fans from Papst, but they're hard to find (the ones I ordered are 3-pin, but should fit to the 2-pin RSM connector just fine). I ordered four Papst 612N/2ML that I found on eBay for cheap (usually these are about $15 / fan). These are 19.8 dBA and 14.7 CFM flow. It can also be found here - but only one in stock currently. Other 60mm x 25mm Papst, ADDA, and Orion fans that are really quiet can be seen and compared here (Papst has a great reputation for solid, quiet, quality fans - not too sure about the others and didn't look into them much as I found the Papst cheap for myself). Here's a review of the Papst fans. $4 - $20 for these Papst fans...
  2. SilenX iXtrema Pro 60mm Computer Case Fan IXP-34-16 - All very quiet, but move very little air. This particular one is actually the loudest / most airflow of the three 60mm fans they make (I think the quieter ones would not move enough air for our lights). I would have gotten this if I hadn't found the Papst for less $. A substantial 18 CFM, only 16 dBA, and $8.50 for these. 3-pin connector.
  3. Noiseblocker Black Silent Fan NB-XR2 - Specs on this fan on this page are wrong - actually 14.1 CFM, 15 dBA as seen on the manufacturer site. Pricey at $15 / fan, but probably even a better choice than the SilenX fan above if you don't mind the price. 3-pin connector.
  4. Nidec Low Noise 2-Pin 2-Ball Bearing Fan 12 CFM, 17.2 dBA, don't know anything about this brand - $3 - Has the preferred 2-pin connector.
  5. Vantec Stealth 60mm - 12 CFM, 20 dBA. I hear these are often louder than expected. $8 - 3-pin connector.
  6. Coolerguys 60x25mm Ultra Quiet Low Speed Fan - 13.8 CFM, 19.8dBA - don't know anything about the company, but it's a website's house brand so not so sure... $6 - 3-pin connector.
  7. Dynatron DF126025PL-3/4G 60mm Case Fan - 14.83 CFM, 23.10 dBA. Don't know much about this brand. $5 - 3-pin connector.

Note, installation instructions are located here for installing the light hood fans. You can't really see here, but it appears to be a 2-pin connector for the fans. Many of the fans above come with 3 wires (one monitors RPM). The 3-pin connectors should still slide onto the 2-pin Red Sea connector just fine. If not, you may need to get adapters. Some fans have a 4-pin Molex connector - those definitely need an adapter or soldering a different connector to the wires.

Now for the back panel (water-cooling) fans. These ones are an even less common size at 60mm x 15mm. Worse, there are very few fans to choose from that are quiet in this size. EDIT - I'm not getting the first one here b/c $42 is just too much to pay for a couple fans...:
  1. Papst 612FL Fan - This is the only one I could find in stock anywhere that's below 20 dBA (edit, now see Evercool fan below). It's 16 dBA and 11.2 CFM (which isn't much flow, but I have a chiller so I'm not too concerned about even running these fans - but some air flow is better than none...). These are pricey though! $16 / fan with $10 shipping (~$42 total). Here's a review of the Papst fans. Some other pricey / low noise fans can be found and compared here, but they are all not stocked or $15+ / fan, so go with the Papst fan.
  2. Evercool EC-EGF-6 60mm Silence Case Fan - This one is perhaps the quietest, but also very little airflow. If you have a chiller or relatively cool temps, this one might be fine - 7.54 CFM, < 16 dBA, $6.50, cheaper on eBay right now. I'm getting this one off of eBay, but I wouldn't suggest it if you don't have a chiller.
  3. This and the rest are probably all > 26 dBA. PowerLogic PL60S12L - I found this one on eBay and it's only $7 shipped for two. It says 15 CFM and 27 dBA. These may be a great option to try for the price.
  4. Y.S. Tech 60mm Quiet Case Fan - Familiar with Y.S. Tech, but not sure how quiet this one really is - no dBA or CFM rating, but 3900 rpm. $6
  5. Spire Fan 60x60x15mm 3pin #SP06015S1M3 - 27 dBA, 15.8 CFM, $5. May be a good option with a reasonable price.
  6. Cooljag Everflow 60mm x 15mm Fan (R126015DL) - Haven't heard much about these fans. 26.9 dBA, 17.89 CFM, $10 / fan.
  7. FrozenCPU 60mm x 15mm DC Fan (DFC601512M) House Brand - 27 dBA, 16 CFM, $8.
  8. 60x60x15mm Ball Bearing fan -DFC601512M - Another house brand - 26 dBA, 17 CFM, $3.50 - cheap at least.

Note, to install the 60x15 back panel fans, you have to do some soldering! Don't worry about the connector on these - you need to solder the two wires (power / ground) anyway. When you take the fan box out, there's a black piece in the middle that slides up revealing where the solder connections are. The fans will just come out with a pair of pliers to pull on them.

For the RSM-130/130D, it takes a different size fan for the lights - 50mm x 15mm. These are even harder to find quiet replacement fans for :( I didn't research these since I don't have this tank, but here's a good place to start. There are also some decent options at NewEgg.com:

I hope this is helpful for some of you! I'll report back with the results of my own installation, but the fans are by far the loudest part of my aquarium, and this fan swap should make a huge difference.

On a separate note, I found specs on the official JBJ Biocube tank fans - they run at 31 dBA / 18 CFM. I'm not sure if our RSM tanks are the same (doubtful), but if you've heard the fans in one of these tanks, then you know what 31 dBA and 18 CFM of flow are like. Take care,
--Kyle

Last edited:

Tufftey

Hi Thanks for all the information on the fans, very informative. Are these relevant/ same size to the 130 as well?
And would you know if it matters if the fans go clockwise or anticlockwise?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Kyle - Nice post with great information! I can't recall if the 130 fans are 50 or 60 mm.

kyley

Hi Christina,
Sorry, I'm not certain on whether the RSM 130 / 130D uses the same fans or not... The fans all spin the same direction and have arrows indicating the direction of airflow. Just match the arrows up to the way your current fans are (blowing in one side of the light hood, blowing out on the other side, and blowing in on over the water for the water-cooling fan [I think]).

Thanks Terry! Thanks for that downloads link as well - where'd you find it? I can't find a link to that page (was looking for the 130 so I can determine if it uses the same fans)! ;) Take care,
--Kyle

Tufftey

That's a shame. I was going to use this information to change the fans in my 130.
Have any of you changed the fans in the 130, mine are really noisy. I (or I should say my hubby has taken the lid apart and dusted them) but I swear they are now noisier than before, hence the question of which way they should turn. I'm think he may have just put them back in without checking which way they should spin.

w00t

The fans in the 130 are extremely easy to change, the hardest part is taking the hood apart but even that is easy. Just unscrew the old wires from the terminal and install the new fans, whole job can be done in less than 5 minutes. Once you take the hood off you can see how simple it is.

kyley

Christina, I updated the post with some info on the 50mm x 15mm fans for the 130/130D tanks, although I didn't look as thoroughly as I did for the 250. Take care,
--Kyle

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Fantastic post Kyle, well done on the research. This will be a great mod for these noisy fans. In Australia we run on 240v. Do you know if these Papst fans would be ok to use in our tanks?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Anyone know the CFM on the stock 250 and 130 hood fans? With some fans quieter because of lower RPM (and lower CFM) those may not be good for sufficiently cooling the hood if the cubic feet/minute is too low (shorter bulb life).

Max250

The RSM250 light fans are 60x60x20 but some are fitting 60x60x15 to reduce the noise, which is caused by the proximity of the fans to the grille.

tnwillia

Leigh.. The fans run on DC and your hood is converting AC (120/240) to DC for the fans. I'm guessing Kyle's list will work but he can jump in and tank this further as I may be wrong. Have fun.

kyley

That should be correct (regular computer case fans - DC).

Wow, ckoni had put 60x60x25 mm fans in his hood, but mentioned they were a tight fit and had to cut some plastic. I figured it was just those particular fans! Well this is again a bummer as 60x60x20mm fans are also harder to find. I think I'll stick with the 60x60x25mm fans and make the necessary modifications. But, I'll revise my initial post to include this information and also see if I can find some good 60mm x 20mm fans to recommend... Sorry - a bit of an open mouth, insert foot situation here! Just trying to help though!

I wanted to post this after doing all the research, but as I mentioned, I have not yet installed these myself (just ordered them). Oh, on using the 60 x 15mm fans, you're a) more likely to get noisier fans from the smaller size (and fewer options) and b) I would imagine they would cause more vibration / rattle as they aren't a tight fit... Take care,
--Kyle

kyley

Original post has been updated with 60mm x 20mm fans for the RSM 250 hood as well as some additional information. I ordered some of these sie fans as well and will see which work best for me (in case I have trouble fitting the 60 x 25 fans - I have a Dremel which helps in these situations!). Take care,
--Kyle

yycguy

For the Rear Cooling fans I used 60mmX10mm, now they needed to be screwed to the rear plastic (very easy) as the stock RS version 60mmX15mm just fit in snug.....but as kyley said they are hard to find.......also going to the smaller fan (depth) resulted in a increase in dBA...... so what I did is placed a small switch which allows me to have one fan running (quieter) and if I need the extra cooling I turn the switch to get both fans running

Fans1.jpg

Fans.jpg