Quarantine tank question - keeping NH3/4, NO2/3 levels low

kyley

Hi All,
I have a QT setup with a sponge filter and air pump running down to it. It's bare bottom, no rock, just a heater, basic light / hood, and that's it. I have a Red Firefish in it right now. Oh, and there's a small handful of macro algae that the LFS through in with the fish - I kept it thinking it may serve as an additional filter?

Anyway, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels are 0, but it looks like Ammonia might be starting to climb a bit (not quite the same color as 0)... So my questions:

1. Other than a weekly water change, what can I do to keep the levels @ 0? Should I be siphoning out uneaten food and any fish waste I can find?

2. So that I don't panic if / when the levels rise (and just throw the fish into the display tank early), what should I do to bring them down? A big water change? Any additives or anything like that?

3. I do weekly water changes in my DT. Would it be okay to use the old water in the QT? Not like I'm keeping corals in the QT so I don't know if the water quality would still be sufficient for the fish?

Thanks in advance - just trying to take some precautions. It's risky adding a fish straight to the DT, but I feel like I'm also taking a risk maintaining another aquarium! Thanks,
--Kyle

kyley

Hi All,
I didn't get a response on the post above, but now I'm starting to have a problem with my quarantine tank (one red firefish in it) so thought I'd see if anyone could help. My ammonia climbed to a clear reading of 0.25 ppm (API test) on Monday AM. Tuesday AM I did a 40% water change - I had also just done one on Saturday. Then Wednesday AM and this AM (Thursday), ammonia still measured 0.25 ppm! :( I'm not sure what to do now... I don't think it's climbing, but it isn't going down either. Should I just be patient for it to go down? I'm just not sure what else I can do... How much danger am I putting the fish in? I'll do another water change Friday or Saturday, but not sure what else can help... Ideas? Thanks,
--Kyle

kyley

Thanks Al, I read that and used it as a guide when setting up the tank. I'm doing the things it suggests (water change, siphoning out food after feeding - which I think I'm doing a minimal amount of). I don't know - if I have to do a water change every 2-3 days - or even more often - to keep ammonia low, a QT might not work for me :(

Maybe I should add some live rock as an additional filter; and remove it if I ever need to do a fish treatment (thus turning it into base rock though)? Or maybe this sponge filter isn't any good for whatever reason and I need to look for a better one - or perhaps a second one? Thanks,
--Kyle

r2d2

Hi, you can grab a piece of LR to QT as long as you dont medicate it. This should help with Amonia levels.
I change water three times a week in my QT, its a 10g and change about 3g at a time.
You should feed ver little to make sure no leftovers in water.
You can make large WC using your old DT water.

kyley

Thanks Arturo, I'm hoping I can avoid doing water changes that often :( I'm hoping a second (better?) sponge filter will help and just ordered one. I am feeding pretty small amounts and siphoning out whatever falls to the bottom. Thanks,
--Kyle

r2d2

I had to do it that way becasue my QT was not cycled a no bacteria was present at all.
I was able to handle it for 5 weeks becasue a low salinity treatment was needed.
Finally my new tang was introduced to its new home two days ago and QT is dry now...
Greetings