Search results

1. puffermike

Gyre XF-150 Long Term Review

I've put together a review for the Maxspect Gyre now that I've owned one for what's coming up to a year. I figured you folks would enjoy checking it out. Gyre XF-150 - Worth The Money Longterm?
  2. puffermike

Slow Tissue Necrosis - Mystery

I've been battling some issues with STN for a very long time and I'd like to get some insight on it. I'll first give the specs on my old system where it happened and the new specs on my upgrade to compare. My old tank params Sal - 1.026 Nitrates - 10 Calc - 420 Alk - 9 Mag - 1250 Temp - 75...
  3. puffermike

Feeding Corals 101

I recently had some questions about the feeding methods used for corals. In this article I go through everything I do step by step. I hope you guys enjoy! Feeding 101 - The RyzingWave.com
  4. puffermike

To Feed or Not To Feed Corals?

Hello Reef Sanctuary! I've recently done a new article on feeding corals. I always come here first to give my articles because you guys are family to me! To Feed or Not To Feed Corals?
  5. puffermike

X150 Gyre VS Vortech MP40QD - Review

I've recently done a review on the Gyre X150 and Vortechs new pump lineup. You can check it out here at RyzingWave.com It's my first post on the new blog!
  6. puffermike

I think I found the one...!

So, I've been dating a woman for a couple years now and another christmas has come and gone with her. Her and I usually splurge on each other when it comes to christmas and I was finding it strange that on the eve of christmas there still wasn't anything under the tree. I'm still like a kid...
  7. puffermike

Best ATO System?

I'm interested in getting an ATO for my system. It's about 150G with the sump included and the max head pressure is about 4.5ft. What ATO systems do you guys like the most? I'm looking for the best bang for the buck/reliable. So far I've read the best reviews on the Tunze but I wanted to see...
  8. puffermike

My new glass box upgrade!

I'm officially addicted to the hobby. I've had this tank in storage for a while and finally decided to pull it out and make some room for it, six feet of space. It fits nicely. I'm going to be painting the stand black although I love the cherry color it is now it just doesn't match my black...
  9. puffermike

First Time Sump, I need some of the big guns to give me their tips!

Ok guys... I can't resist not doing an upgrade this year again and I'm going to need some solid advice. I've never done a sump system at all. I'm a total newb when it comes to designing them. I understand the basic concept of what they do and all that jazz, I just need some hard wet facts...
  10. puffermike

Tang Aggression

Hey everyone, I'm seeking some advice on what you guys do with aggressive fish. I have a 100G reef.. here are the inhabitants. 2 Percula Clowns 1 Desjardini Sailfin Tang 1 Naso Tang 1 Harlequin Tusk 1 Mandarin 1 Bangai Cardinal 1 Yellow Watchman Goby In the past day I came home to...
  11. puffermike

Brown Stringy Algae?

I have a question for some people who've dealt with various types of algae. Nitrates - 5 Calcium - 420 KH - 9 Mag - 1390 Salinity - 1.20 PH- 7.4 at 11am. Roughly 3500GPH flow in the tank it's about 90G of water volume. Now I understand that the low PH could be the issue. I know...
  12. puffermike

Two little demons....

:flaming::flaming::flaming: I'd been carefully watching my green goniopora the past few days because it has some of the skeleton slightly exposed on the top of it. It hasn't opened up fully and I've been keeping a close eye on it. Today, I noticed the two clownfish hovering around it...
  13. puffermike

Who said free can't be a good thing?

So, I got a phone call from a friend of mine who said a friend of mine was giving away an aquarium for free. He said it was "huge". I've heard this before. I can't pass up a good deal, let alone free.. So on my way to go spy on the free goods he sent me a picture. So, I'm like oh nice...
  14. puffermike

The Predator Hangout Tank.

So my new winter project after tearing down my 110 brackish tank was to turn it into a FOWLR tank. Farewell to my old mangrove setup. I have a different idea in the works for another waterfall/land aquarium. Seeing as the brackish tank was very high in salinity I was able to go...
  15. puffermike

180G Upgrade. A TON of weight! Advice please. :)

My future upgrade within the next 2 years is a 180G tank. I want to get some tips on guys with tanks that are over a ton of weight in a room. Where did you guys put your ocean? The spot I have picked out is parallel to a bearing wall and directly below is the basement, where on that very...
  16. puffermike

Ro/Di Unit Malfunctioning?

So, I got this new Ro/Di Unit in.. hooked it yesterday at 5pm. It's a 24gpd unit. The thing is though.. It's currently about 11pm and it's been almost 30 hours and it's only put out about 14-16 gallons. My water pressure is fine but the water is a bit cold. I know the water temp can reduce...
  17. puffermike

First Protein Skimmer

Hey everyone. I've been into the hobby for about ten years and can you believe I never used a skimmer? Well this new year I decided to take the plunge! Considering the eating habits of the new livestock in my predator tank I wanted to further nutrient export. Anyways, I've never actually...
  18. puffermike

Goniopora Care & Diet

Hey everyone! I'm calling out all the Goniopora care givers to give me their advice. I've read much on this coral but I'd like to get some advice from you guys. I currently have a pretty large specimen. I'm amazed at how small and huge it gets depending on it's mood throughout the day...
  19. puffermike

Tube Anemone Advice

I've been studying these types of anemones for a long time and I was wondering if I could get any tips from people with actual experience pertaining to them. They obviously need a deep sand bed or even a make shift place to bury their tube along with feeding regularly considering they are...
  20. puffermike

PufferMikes Aquarist Adventure!

Hello everyone! This is by far the best forum I've been on in the past few years. Seeing how many others are out there with the same passion if not more is awesome. So, I decided to make a new youtube channel that will showcase all of the tanks and future tanks I have done along with...