Tube Anemone Advice

puffermike

I've been studying these types of anemones for a long time and I was wondering if I could get any tips from people with actual experience pertaining to them. They obviously need a deep sand bed or even a make shift place to bury their tube along with feeding regularly considering they are non-photosynthetic and mostly nocturnal. I've managed to keep some of the harder anemones and I absolutely adore the whole lot of them and I can't resist not getting one of these guys considering I have a tank suitable for them.

TubeAnemone.jpg

gbose

I'm in the same boat as you. I had one a while ago. It seemed very active for a week -- ate very well. Then it disappeared into the rock-work; I couldn't feed it so I think it starved to death.

I just got another -- looks a lot like yours. My LFS tells me that if they have a tube (I see yours does), they're less likely to move. I'm told they should be fed 2-3 times a week and my trouble with the first one may have been over-feeding....

Good luck!

puffermike

Yeah, from what I've read you have to get one with a tube. Without it's tube it's most likely really stressed and or on its way out. We'll have to keep some documentation of these guys on this thread! Spread the word since so much is unknown.

LSUFireGal

I have one. "She" is about a foot in diameter. I have had her for 9 months. I feed a larger meal once a week, 1/2 a silver side or a few lg krill, and I make sure she gets a helping of mysis daily when I feed the tank. She will grab pellets for herself too. I do not have a deep sand bed and she never has moved. She also stays out most of the day, but she is huge at night. They are beautiful. She is front and center in my tank.

ziggy

I have one. "She" is about a foot in diameter. I have had her for 9 months. I feed a larger meal once a week, 1/2 a silver side or a few lg krill, and I make sure she gets a helping of mysis daily when I feed the tank. She will grab pellets for herself too. I do not have a deep sand bed and she never has moved. She also stays out most of the day, but she is huge at night. They are beautiful. She is front and center in my tank.

Have you named her?)

Lyn Colton

I've had a tube anenome now for a couple years. Have upgraded my tank to 90 gal cube and she made the transfer just fine as well as several re-aquascapes. I bought her from a fellow reefer and he told me a little trick....I put her inside a round plastic container filled halfway with sand. She's never tried to get out, she seems quite happy & I can move her wherever i want.