My new glass box upgrade!

puffermike

I'm officially addicted to the hobby. I've had this tank in storage for a while and finally decided to pull it out and make some room for it, six feet of space. It fits nicely. I'm going to be painting the stand black although I love the cherry color it is now it just doesn't match my black leather furniture at all.

The tank is 125Gs with dual overflows. Here it is! I had to clear out everything off of the wall for it.

20141207_213128_zpseb7eeff2.jpg

Don't mind Charlie the explorer...

After a lot of discussion about the sump I'm going with this general design and using a 40G long. I'll be making some changes as far as where some of the drains plumb to and the size of the return area ect...

sumpdesign_zpsd07195bd.png

puffermike

The skimmer came in today! It's a lot bigger than what I thought it would be. Luckily it fits underneath the stand.. barely. It's the Eshopps PSK-300.

20141208_221839_zps1bd8f44d.jpg

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I'm officially addicted to the hobby. I've had this tank in storage for a while and finally decided to pull it out and make some room for it, six feet of space. It fits nicely. I'm going to be painting the stand black although I love the cherry color it is now it just doesn't match my black leather furniture at all.

The tank is 125Gs with dual overflows. Here it is! I had to clear out everything off of the wall for it.

20141207_213128_zpseb7eeff2.jpg

Don't mind Charlie the explorer...

After a lot of discussion about the sump I'm going with this general design and using a 40G long. I'll be making some changes as far as where some of the drains plumb to and the size of the return area ect...

sumpdesign_zpsd07195bd.png
I think Charlie has the best seat in the house! Gratz on the new tank!

puffermike

She's coming together.. slowly but surely! Got the plumbing done, sump put together, stuffed it with some base rock, new hardware on the doors and fresh paint. Have a few minor things I need to do here and there but it's almost ready to start cycling.

20141212_003714_zps4c6036df.jpg

puffermike

It's been up and running since last Saturday! Let the cycling begin. The herbie style overflow is silent. The only thing I can hear when I open the doors is the return pump. It took a good 2-3 hours of me fiddling around with the drain valves to stop it from rising and falling but it's absolutely perfect now. Not even a drip is going down the emergency drains but it's right to the brim. I'm sure I will have to adjust this accordingly in the future.

This is my first sump and I must say I really love the amount of customization that you can do with one.

Anyways.. I'm waiting in the mail for these goodies and it's a struggle.

Three of the DM165P+

I'll be able to use my phone for these. So much easier than my lumentek 240! I love being able to adjust the intensity every 10 minutes on that model but it took two hours to set it up. This model being on the phone will be a breeze.

http://reefradiance.com/dm-165p.html

The Riptide Gyre!

[video=youtube;GID4pFUNJts]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GID4pFUNJts[/video]

And a dual chamber media reactor... figured I'd try these out.

http://www.tbaquatics.com/double-chamber-media-reactor-for-carbon-and-gfo-310.html#.VJTK014AKA

StirCrayzy

Cool. But why not just restFONT=Arial][/FONT]rain the wood dark? seems like a shame to paint anything but pine.

puffermike

Cool. But why not just restFONT=Arial][/FONT]rain the wood dark? seems like a shame to paint anything but pine.

You mean stain the wood darker? I tried doing it to another stand of mine but the color would never get dark enough to match my living room. It came out a very dark brown no matter how many times I stained it with a black satin shade. Plus, I can't say i'm the master of staining anyways. If you have any tips on how to do it I'd love to know. I even sanded the previous stand down with a disc sander after it wouldn't work and it still came out brown. I could never get the flat or even glossy black.

puffermike

The lights came in today! Reef Radiance had them shipped out to me on a Sunday for free! Talk about good service.

20141221_213217_zps889c4b79.jpg

20141221_213342_zpsa88529bb.jpg

StirCrayzy

I'm jealous, my wife won't let me hang a sword.
As for staining, I'm no expert , and I've heard black is the toughest color.
Either way, your stand does look good !

puffermike

Also got a big order of frags from Tidal Gardens. I was impressed with their shipping techniques. Not one coral was even damaged slightly. My favorite frags out of the bunch are the pink goni and a piece I've been trying to find for a while, a jack o lantern lepto!

20150120_101305_zpse10f0ace.jpg

20150120_101535_zpsc1168171.jpg