Search results

1. P

A Silly Question?

I use a scraper I got from Home Depot or Lowes. It's plastic with a wide metal razor sharp blade. Cheaper than from the fish store. They have many different sizes. Just make sure you wash the blades before use as the blades in the home centers usually have a coating of oil. Dish soap at the...
  2. P

zoa placement

Did you ask where they were in the tank they came from? I would start with what they were used to then move them slowly to where you want them.
  3. P

Fair value for setup.

yeah I figure i'll sell the tank stand lights and rock for a fair price and basically give away the rest as a package.:cry1:
  4. P

Fair value for setup.

This is a question I HATE to consider but my wife and myself both lost our jobs within a week of each other. My tank may have to go if something doesn't come up very quickly. I'm looking for pricing advice on the whole setup as I may need $$ quickly and not be able to wait for it to part out...
  5. P

powder brown and hippo tang

Hmmmmmmmmm..................... I may have to get another tank going so I can get a POWDER BROWN!! That'll teach the wife to interfere!!:whstlr:
  6. P

Wife won. Got a hippo. I kinda agreed with her when a LFS got a ton of babies (like nickle size) and is selling them for $20. Good deal, even this size I've never seen less than $40. I was kinda worried about him maybe getting harassed being so small but no one payed any attention to him...
  7. P

Blackout to kill algea??

I recently went from 260w of PCs to 2 x 250w halides. Hair algae outbreak soon followed. I reduced my photo period and that alone with my tangs grazing have kept it from getting worse but it's also not getting any less. If I were to black out the tank somehow with a blanket or something would it...
  8. P

mag 9 heating water

Um.........well...............it's mixing 15 gallons. Silly I know, but the pump was just sitting there and I figured it was a waste of a perfectly good pump. I just didn't know they throw off so much heat. Prolly cheaper than running a heater I guess:dummy:
  9. P

mag 9 heating water

I have a mag 9.5 stirring my change water. RODI container temp in high 50s. Salt water container is running low 80s. Pulled the pump apart and cleaned it up and it's still hot. On one hand I don't have to put in a separate heater but something has to wrong with the pump that can't be good. Any...
  10. P

RODI problem

OK, cool. Thanks guys. I'll fix it but a better unit is in my future. Thank goodness I didn't get a odysea light off e-bay. I almost did!! Went with a hamilton technology unit. I got some brains I guess.
  11. P

RODI problem

A pain to fix? It's a cheapo e-bay unit. Only had it 6 months.
  12. P

RODI problem

My RODI is hooked up with a float valve in my storage container. The float shuts off the flow to storage but the water continues to flow to the waste. I'm wondering if anyone can direct me to what is possibly not working right. Thanks.
  13. P

coralife super skimmer idea

I have a super skimmer (125 i think, got it used). Anyway, I had the usual problems with consistent operation you keep reading about. Water level must remain absolutely constant. Like, within 1/4 inch!! ATO took care of that. What I did also is add an air pump. Like the kind used for air stones...
  14. P

I want a powder brown, wife wants a hippo. If introduced at the same time would they get along in a 90 gallon? I'm thinking no because of tank size and from what I read powder browns are rather timid for a tang. Thought? Thanks.
  15. P

Royal Gamma, upside down

I just noticed my royal gamma hangs out in a cave upside down against the roof. When he comes out he rights himself. He seems fine so I am assuming this is normal. Is it?
  16. P

lighting acclimation

I only do the time change because it's convenient and a no-brainer to remember. Lights on when I come home from work........turn them off. Lights off.......turn them on. But I may switch to the screen method.
  17. P

lighting acclimation

I recently upgraded lights from PCs to MH. I am acclimating by lessening the photo period. I am running the actinics like I always have, on at 1pm off at 11pm. I only have one timer at the moment and have been runniong the halides by one day one day unplugging them when I get home from work at...
  18. P

PCs to Halides = New Reef

I was going to upgrade to T5s but I got a great deal on these. I took A pic. I wish I had a before shot.
  19. P

48" 90 gallon
  20. P

Yesterday I bought a used metal halide fixture and..........................WOW!! I went from 260 watts of PCs to 2 x 250 watt halides w/VHO actinics and it's like looking at totally different tank! The corals are popping and having a celebration! I have to say to anyone using PCs, STOP! WOW!