zoa placement

newreefguy

I bought a bunch of zoas from ekr , they're still acclimating to my lights... (6x54w 460 nm actinic 10k daylight 3 of each... in 55 gal 20.25"*13.75"*48" ... so where should I try to put them? Up high, med,sand?

plahka

Did you ask where they were in the tank they came from? I would start with what they were used to then move them slowly to where you want them.

newreefguy

Well I did but he has mh lights.... but they were a little less wattage than my t5s so im not real sure what the equivelent would be in my tank... I got a pretty good idea about where to put em but I would like to get the general consensis to reasure myself ;-)

sambrinar

I would say mid to high placement, I have mine high in the tank under T5's and LED's

Last edited:
From what Ive learned with my zoas and from research is that zoas will vary drastically from from one type to another as to what conditions they will thrive in. Im no expert so someone might offer you more informed advice but these are my opinions and experiences.

You also need to consider current as well as light with zoa placement. I find that most of my zoas like med-high current and high light (T5 for my tank). The higher the light and current the faster they will grow in general.

So I think starting them all off on the bottom for acllimation was a good idea. I would start placing them higher in the tank and look to see how they react. You will know if they are in too bright of light if they begin to bleach or start to migrate away from the light into shady ares. And you will know if the current is too strong if they stay closed more often then not.

And if they arent getting enough light zoas will loose their coloration and dull out. I have some armor of god that no matter how high i place in my tank just dont keep their sheild patterns but still grow like weeds, But My tubs blue zoas and iridescent blue palys keep their color better in lower lights. SO you will just have to experiment.

Your Zoas will let you know if they are happy. Good Luck

newreefguy

Oh man... I want one!!! Lol armor of god is awesome. And devils armor is my favorite... I have some blue hornets that are sweet as well...how long,how to tell when you can start migrating them around?

You will notice them migrating pretty quickly a couple of weeks maybe. They will stay closed longer and the distance between polyps will get larger, the encrusting mat that the use to grow on will also begin to stretch.

You should definetly get some AOGs , they grow very quickly.!

newreefguy

Yeah.. I've been looking for some, gonna ask dave at TAA to find me some.... oh and some of the zoas have shrivled stems (like your fingers get when wet for to long) is this something to worry about?

Sapphire

I've noticed that with some of mine (orange ones - no idea of name - they don't get sold with names in NZ) if I put them higher the polyps get really big but don't spread as fast, but if I put them lower they grow lots of new polyps but the polyps are small.... The colour doesn't seem to change though

newreefguy

The zoa its self is opening up... but it isn't all the way open... and its leaned way over... I don't have a pic right now I'll have to post one when I get home.. But the stem looks like it has a small chunk missing and is shriveled up...