mag 9 heating water

plahka

I have a mag 9.5 stirring my change water. RODI container temp in high 50s. Salt water container is running low 80s. Pulled the pump apart and cleaned it up and it's still hot. On one hand I don't have to put in a separate heater but something has to wrong with the pump that can't be good. Any idea why the pump would be putting off so much heat.

panmanmatt

Mag drives are known to put off a lot of heat. There is nothing wrong with the pump, it's normal.

What size container are you mixing your saltwater in? I mix in a 60 gallon barrel and only use a Mag 5.

plahka

Um.........well...............it's mixing 15 gallons. Silly I know, but the pump was just sitting there and I figured it was a waste of a perfectly good pump. I just didn't know they throw off so much heat. Prolly cheaper than running a heater I guess:dummy:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I run a Mag-9 in my 30g mixing barrel and it also heats the water some. Perfectly normal although a major waste of energy :)

r2d2

I have a Mag9.5 and a mag3 in my sump, one for return and other for Skimmer and temperature rise a lot. Now Im running a Chiller but thinking of piping that 9.5 inline instead of submerged.

Greetings