PCs to Halides = New Reef

plahka

Yesterday I bought a used metal halide fixture and..........................WOW!!
I went from 260 watts of PCs to 2 x 250 watt halides w/VHO actinics and it's like looking at totally different tank! The corals are popping and having a celebration! I have to say to anyone using PCs, STOP! WOW!

Luukosian

Threads like this always make me want halides lol....I'm running t-5's now but like the look of mh's alot.

plahka

I was going to upgrade to T5s but I got a great deal on these.
I took A pic. I wish I had a before shot.
aquapod017.jpg

burning2nd

ur gonna bleach your friends in there...

i went from T5's 2 Mh with no acclamation and it took over a year to regain all the color.

you should acclmate them a little.... move it up, or place egg crate, or reduce the lighting time.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
DITTO to burning2nd !

You need to LIGHT acclimate the tank for several weeks. That's a HUGE difference and some of your corals probably wont survive such a dramatic change.

Research Light Acclimation and you'll see several techniques and my favorite (the only one I use and trust) is Window Screen.

faust

i went from 150's to 250's and didn't acclimate. lost one tri color table top and a another had lost 3/4 its color. these weren't frags but colonies.
lesson learned. acclimate!!!!

SeahorseBT

When I went from PC's to T5's I did actinics the first day for a few hours, they the daylights then next day and gradually increased the time they were on.

ModernReef

DITTO to burning2nd !

You need to LIGHT acclimate the tank for several weeks. That's a HUGE difference and some of your corals probably wont survive such a dramatic change.

Research Light Acclimation and you'll see several techniques and my favorite (the only one I use and trust) is Window Screen.

+1

The funny part, well its not really funny, thell actually open up really big at first with the higher light...BUT, in just days you can really do some damage to them. The will not visibly show problems for about a week or so. but then its Entirely too late.

burning2nd

yep... by th time you notice that your coral is bleaching the damage is way done...
the bactiera coating the coral is sensitive to light.. extreme change will kill

jjohnson3

Do new lights cause algae? Its taking over my tank...Sorry to hijack your thread! I seem to be doing that a lot...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
this is such a dramtic change I'd venture to guess you could lose 50% or more if you don't light acclimate.

Jason yes a "Stable" tank with an increase in light you could have an algae outbreak especially if you have a lot of "Other" things happening in your tank (and you SO do).