Zigman's RSM C250

Seed

Hi,

So did you drill any holes? Curious what you did in the right cabinet. I am in the same situation and wondering what I should do to accommodate an ATO with reservoir in the right cabinet.

zigman

My tunze 3155 and accompanying hole saw kit arrives Tues I think. I will update with pictures once I install. May have to wait till next weekend though since I do have to work at least a little.

Adrienne

My tunze 3155 and accompanying hole saw kit arrives Tues I think. I will update with pictures once I install. May have to wait till next weekend though since I do have to work at least a little.

I know that feeling! i work from home and if I put half the time into my paid job that I have into the tank I would be a millionaire!!
Instead I am weeks behind :)

zigman

Thanks Neil. Actually cut the hole today and didn't go as smoothly as I might have hoped. Bought a cheap hole saw kit on amazon - big mistake. Tried to cut a 4 inch hole and only got 1/4 inch, my Makita drill overheated and the saw got stuck. Eventually tried a different approach, drilled many holes around the partially cut circle, then used a small saw to connect the dots, sort of pumpkin carving but much more labor intensive. Eventually got it done though! Will post pics tomorrow. Also recommend a wet dry vac nearby as there was quite a lot of sawdust, although most stayed in the cabinet or was inhaled by me.
I thought I had a reservoir for the water, but the hole is too small for the pump. Where do you get a 5 gallon clear container with large hole to fit the pump in?
Also put 2 bags CPE and 1 bag Purigen into media rack, interested to see how it affects my nitrate levels. Still left 1 bag of stock carbon in too, had a space for it and figured it couldn't hurt.

zigman

Ok time for an photo update. First here is my cabinet with the hole I so painstakingly drilled in the back with the Tunze ATO in place, then fully running with the water reservoir I got at the restaurant supply store.

zigman

So, I put the sensor magnet in the R side sump since that pump is not connected to the chiller and the water level is always lower. Unfortunately every time I turn the pumps off (to feed the fish) the water level rises and the alarm goes off. Is this the best spot for it? I need to reach behind the tank to pull out the plug since it won't fit on the main outlet strip, which is sort of a pain...

zigman

I've had the 2 cardinals in the tank for 4 days now. No quarantine tank, bad idea, I know, but I just find the thought of running 2 tanks near impossible. They both look fine, but the smaller one (seen in the above picture) won't seem to eat. A bad sign, I think. The bigger one, of course, seems to eat just fine. Any thoughts?

zigman

Does anyone know how to change the name of my thread to Zigman's RSM C250? I am thinking my current thread name leaves something to be desired...
Anyway, cardinals now seem happy and are eating well. The eagle eye zoa seems happy and thriving. All parameters are looking good, ammonia and nitrite 0, kh 9, salinity 1.025, and nitrate slowly coming down, was around 7.5 after water change last week with CPE/Purigen/ and carbon in place. Still lots of tiny floating dots and what I now believe to be hydroids stuck on glass which my snails, crabs and cardinal fish ignore.
It has been a month since starting the tank - thinking about adding some more to it this weekend.
Any suggestions for my next addition? How much coral can you safely add at once?

zigman

Thanks Daniel and Frankie for the name change. Looking forward to some new additions this weekend and will post some pics once it happens.