Zigman's RSM C250

zigman

Ok another day another near disaster. Apparently we had a brief power outage ( common in Florida with storms) but this one popped the circuit breaker to the room with the tank! Since everything else went back on, didn't notice for about 10 hrs. Temp in tank dropped to 72 degrees, everything looked unhappy with fish and shrimp near comatose and finger leather drooped over. Somehow everything survived and recovered with return of power, circulation, and heat, but don't want it it to happen again. Any smart suggestions for backup power or notification if power fails so I can do something about it?

Danreef

I have the air pumps that start to work with the electricity off. They are noisy so in a situation as you described I am sure you will notice the tank is without electricity.

After this, I am sure you will never forget again to take a look to all the house next time.

I have a generator.

Daniel

zigman

What air pumps are you talking about? I looked at whole house automatic generators when we built our house but prohibitively expensive, we evacuate for hurricanes, and didn't have an expensive tank of perishable fish and coral when I was planning the house. Not sure if I could retrofit an auto generator for one room...... A regular generator would work if I was home to start it, but if not?

Danreef

I have a regular generator that powers the most important things is the house (wood stove, microwave, water pump, refrigerator and.....tanks).

I will post a picture of the pump at my return home late today. The air pumps can provide 8-10 hours of air and some water movement. No heat there. But the tank can survive a slow cooling. As it happened to you. My wife or myself will be able to start the generator at our return home.

Cheers
Daniel

zigman

Sorry its been a while but was busy and figured it was a good idea to lets things settle down for a while before adding anything else to the tank. Couldn't wait any longer, though, so here are some pics of three new additions to my tank.
First off, a green torch to light things up a bit!