Zigman's RSM C250

zigman

Ok so no fish or coral yet, thought I'd post some pics of what I've got - my clean up crew
First up, my Asteria snails (LFS labeled them turbo snails but I think this is what they really are called)

zigman

Next, my Cortez red tip hermit crabs. Interestingly, just after this picture, the crab molted and spit out his old shell. Then today he climbed on one of the Asteria snails and took a ride, I guess hoping to kill snail and steal the shell. Snail was too tough for him though and he gave up. I am going to get some empty snail shells today to try to sooth this one over.

zigman

Finally, my big boy Mexican Grazer. He has been hidden almost continuously since I got him, but finally came out last nite. The other one is hiding under a rock, but moves daily so must still be alive.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great pics...

I think what you are seeing are hydroids, these little ones will most likely disappears over time

attachment.php

Danreef

Finally, my big boy Mexican Grazer. He has been hidden almost continuously since I got him, but finally came out last nite. The other one is hiding under a rock, but moves daily so must still be alive.

I love hermit crabs.....Nice Pictures !!!!

Daniel

JA JA JA.....I quoted the wrong picture.....You are a disaster Daniel....ja ja ja

zigman

Hmmm
So are my little hydroids bad? Looked up colonial hydroids and they seem not good, but I don't even have anything in the tank but Cuc so far!

zigman

Ok so goal today was to get Nitrate level under control as everything else looking good
So starting out
Salinity 1.024
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15
kH 8

I am doing water changes 5 gallons out, 5 gallons in at a time as I keep my new saltwater in a 44g trash can outside and I need to let it cool before adding it back to my tank (it is HOT outside).
After two 5 gallon changes ( I know, this is really less than the 15% change it appears to be, but since I only have 2 buckets right now, its the best I can do.
Recheck Nitrate after a few hours, Nitrate still 15. This is starting to get annoying.
Did 2 more 5 gallon water changes and waiting for things to settle out before retesting Nitrate. That is something near a 25% water change even with the serial dilutions by doing 5 gallons at a time, I think.
Now I am out of saltwater and need to refill the can with RO/DI water, which takes at least half a day. Then mix in salt, get it right, and start more water changes until nitrate level goes down.
Anyone have a thought on how much water I need to change to get my Nitrates down to optimal level?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
don't stress over nitrates... especially in a new tank (cycling or just cycled) ammonia & nitrites are very harmful to your livestock, nitrates not near as much

run some chemical filtration (like purigen & cpe) and keep up weekly water changes & all will be fine with the nitrates

I would worry more about the tank still cycling & having nitrites, that are converting to nitrates

having said this.. Nitrate (NO3) reduction is directly proportional to percentage of Water Change

Last edited:

Pat24601

I'm not saying this is good practice at all, but my nitrates ran high for a few weeks after I had cycled. Over time, my normal water changes and CPE/Purigen took care of them. i never had any visible problems I'm aware of.

zigman

I currently have the 2 bags of carbon that came with the system in place in the media rack. Don't mean to sound dumb but what is CPE/purigen? Does it go in media rack along with the carbon bags or instead of them?

zigman

Despite my elevated nitrate level of 10, LFS told me I was good to go to add some stuff since all other parameters were good.
So, dropped some money on 2 bangaiii cardinals and a eagle eye Zoa.
Crossing my fingers, and pics to follow...

Pat24601

I currently have the 2 bags of carbon that came with the system in place in the media rack. Don't mean to sound dumb but what is CPE/purigen? Does it go in media rack along with the carbon bags or instead of them?

CPE is Chemi pure elite. It goes in your media rack instead of carbon. Purigen is just another small bag (for nitrates among other things).

It is relatively common for people to run two bags of CPE and 1 Purigen instead of the carbon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002A5VK2/?tag=reefsanc-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUFTTE2/?tag=reefsanc-20

Pat24601

Despite my elevated nitrate level of 10, LFS told me I was good to go to add some stuff since all other parameters were good.
So, dropped some money on 2 bangaiii cardinals and a eagle eye Zoa.
Crossing my fingers, and pics to follow...

Nitrate of 10 doesn't seem so bad to me. It will go down.

Nice additions. Have pics?

zigman

Thanks for the info
Just ordered CPE and Purigen and will put it in action on arrival in a few days
Gotta love amazon prime

zigman

The two new Bangaii cardinals were out swimming while I kept things dark for acclimation, but the moment the lights went on they scooted into the rocks. I'll have to work on a better picture but here is what I could get tonite. Sorry!