Zigman's RSM C250

ttrego

On the 3155 alarm going off every time you turn the pumps off......I used an extension cord on my heater and plugged my 3155 into that also. When I feed or turn the pumps off, I just hit the heater switch in the front to shut them both off.

zigman

Sometimes the simplest solution eludes me! Thanks ttrego, I am going to do just that. Don't know why I didn't think of that already.

zigman

So, weekend was a total bust and never made it to the LFS. such grand plans to add to my tank bit the dust and will have to wait till next weekend. Instead, I did a water change, opened up the Red Sea reef management test kit and tried it out. Oh yeah, I read the manual too. Which raises the following questions
My kh is 8.4, which is perfect since I was using the kh- coralline growth supplement, but according to the manual if I want to keep LPS coral, which is my plan, I need too raise to 12.1? 1 dKh per day? Guess that is what I will be doing this week.
Also, tried to check my Mg level, but number I got was way high. It seems a bit difficult to determine an endpoint without going over on this test. Any suggestions?
Calcium test was at least easy to check and came out perfect, which it should since I don't have any stony corals in the tank yet to actually use the calcium.

Danreef

Is that 12.1 dkh correct ?

To me sounds like on the max limit.

Why not 8-9 dkh for LPS ?

I know nothing compared with Red Sea experts. But nevertheless it sounds me too high.

Daniel

zigman

The Red Sea manual says 8-9 for fish only and soft corals, 12.1 for LPS, and 12.6 for SPS, at least that's what I thought it said but I will recheck it!

zigman

Just checked it on Redsea website and indeed 12.1 is suggested for LPS systems.......now, to get there, 1dkh per day.

Danreef

Is that 12.1 dkh correct ?

To me sounds like on the max limit.

Why not 8-9 dkh for LPS ?

I know nothing compared with Red Sea experts. But nevertheless it sounds me too high.

Daniel

You are correct . Found manual online and is12.1 dkh.

Daniel

Ups....our postings crossed. I was looking the manual online when you posted.....Thank you !!

zigman

Ok. While staring at my mostly empty tank daydreaming about adding stuff to make it like the cool tanks on this forum, I noticed a hitchhiker crawl out from one of the live rocks. It was dark in color and looked mostly like a snail without a shell. Not sure what it is, or if it is a problem I need to address before moving forward with spending lots of money on stuff to put in the tank. Help me ID this hitchhiker!

Oxylebius

They are great cuc, very efficient. Be aware that peppermint shrimp have been known to kill them, my peps took out all my stomas. Something for you to be aware of if you are considering getting peppermint shrimp in the future.

zigman

Big day at LFS, bought lots of stuff and just finished acclimating and added to tank.
I got an orange Australian wall hammer, green Duncan coral with like 15 heads, yellow toadstool, green finger leather, 3 emerald crabs, one cleaner shrimp, one fire shrimp, and finally 2 small tank raised ocellaris clown fish.
Now I cross my fingers and hope for the best. Pictures to follow tomorrow?......

zigman

Ok - couldn't wait to share. Here are night light shots, since I wanted to keep the main lights off for tonite while acclimating.
Green Duncan Coral

zigman

Orange Australian Wall Hammer - doesn't look like much in photo but actually vibrant orange under night light. Not sure why it doesn't look that way in photo.....

Pat24601

They look really good! Be cool once the lights are on too, but even with them off they look good.

zigman

Ok, already had some drama after adding stuff to tank. First, one emerald crab took a liking to the Duncan and kept trying to eat its polyps. Although I tried to feed the crab to get him to lay off the Duncan, it was persistent in going after it. I put that crab in time out in a red solo cup, and then another emerald crab started bothering the Duncan. At this point, i decided emerald crabs were evil and took out the second crab, put him in the cup, and back to the LFS both crabs went. If you were counting, that leaves one emerald crab still in the tank, and I am watching him like a hawk. First sign of trouble and he is out of there!
More drama, when one of the two clowns started acting funny, getting tossed around the tank in the current, then floating by outflow. Put him in red solo cup, and he was dead in about 5 minutes. Checked all parameters which look good, other clown, cardinals and corals are happy. No accounting. Not a very funny clown in my opinion.
Anyway, here are some pics in the light after above drama completed.