Wrangy's 50 Gallon Reef Cube

Frankie

RS STAFF
I will try and ID that coral tonight.
I just need some time to go through my data base.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Tank looking really healthy, your corals really love your zeo, that's for sure!!
Thanks Jan! I'm loving it too, I'm happy that they are as well :p

Coming together nicely Dom!
Thanks Greg!! Hopefully I can keep it going like this!!

I will try and ID that coral tonight.
I just need some time to go through my data base.
Cheers :) It's colours are still changing but I'm certain of a. millepora and I'm thinking Shortcake too with the pink hues coming through and the greens but I'll have to wait and see! If you can figure it out that would be awesome though!!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
So as suggested to me by a fellow zeovit reefer that's been running a zeo tank for a quite few years now has said that I should stop all amino acid, coral vitalizer and such dosing to really give the algae a boot to the bum! So over the next few weeks I won't be dosing any of my extra bits to really try and annihilate the stuff!!

orieng

I agree with the suggestion of your zeo friend that all other dosing except the basic two should be stopped. Why don't you just use zeostart and Zeobak for a few weeks till you have the ULNS set status and than start the other stuff. Maybe you can also ask G Alexander for a few tips. But your tank is looking great. Let's us know what you plan to do..

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Well his suggestions have worked!! a week ago I stopped dosing xtra, coral vitalizer and amino acids and the algae seems to have copped a huge beating!! Still a few painful algae's to go but I'm getting there!! These algae's have barely grown in the last week though so it's a good sign that they're finally starting to be beaten :) I can see rock and rock only in certain parts of the tank where I had forgotten it existed and thought the structure was supported by algae :p

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Just a few random shots of the tank :) Completed weekly water change today (few days late haha) and swapping new carbon into the tank later on :)

salty23

Tank looks great! Everything looks really happy! What are you dosing for the sps to stay soo happy?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Tank looks great! Everything looks really happy! What are you dosing for the sps to stay soo happy?

Thanks mate!! :D
At the moment it's just the basic 4 of the Zeo system :) Bak, stones, start and kz carbon! Just for the last week to really get rid of the algae but before that I was dosing KZ coral vitalizer and xtra and acropower (amino acids) before and I'll be going back to it with some b-balance and sponge power as well :) It's also due to really starting to get some low nutrients and also I personally believe due to using natural saltwater of a high quality :)

salty23

Wow that's great news!

By the way do you notice the effects of the acropower? I've been dosing that as well and replaced it instead of using the Xtra. Seems to be doing great for me so far.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Wow that's great news!

By the way do you notice the effects of the acropower? I've been dosing that as well and replaced it instead of using the Xtra. Seems to be doing great for me so far.

I'll let you know when I start dosing it again :) It's a bit hard to tell at the moment with the changes that happened but I'll be adding things back in in batches to understand what makes the tank happy and how :)

Wolffman64

Amazing photos! All my recent ones are really blue, so I haven't put them up yet. Tried to adjust the white balance but is doesn't get any better....

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Amazing photos! All my recent ones are really blue, so I haven't put them up yet. Tried to adjust the white balance but is doesn't get any better....
Thanks mate :) I take mine under normal day lights as I'm no photo master and haven't been bothered to get the right filters yet lol I have auto white balance on and those photos didn't come out too badly, they're nowhere near a professional shoot :p are you taking yours under blues or normal lights?

Basile

Really nice shots Dom, as for me when i stop dosing my refugium start declining and fast i'm talking within 2 days time some algae actually become white, lack of iron and food they start loosing colors, they really need their food otherwise they loose cohesion and pieces start drifting away and my powerheads become clogged , lol. By the way guys i've made some home made food check it out in the indept topic section , if you want the recipe and my observations.

Oxylebius

Nice shots!

I've been using AcroPower since the spring. I think the corals like it, but truthfully my system has bounced around too much for the the last four months that it is hard to tell for sure. My monti digis still aren't happy. By bounced around I talking fluctuations in Alk/Ca/Mg and potassium. Still struggling to get it all in balance and a dosing regime automated. I've got all parts now, just haven't found the time to set everything up. I suppose that I can say anecdotally that since I haven't lost any corals, including acros (most sensitive to fluctuations) that perhaps AcroPower is helping them survive the fluctuations of params, but I really don't know.

Last edited:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Really nice shots Dom, as for me when i stop dosing my refugium start declining and fast i'm talking within 2 days time some algae actually become white, lack of iron and food they start loosing colors, they really need their food otherwise they loose cohesion and pieces start drifting away and my powerheads become clogged , lol. By the way guys i've made some home made food check it out in the indept topic section , if you want the recipe and my observations.
Thanks mate! :) I'm still dosing the essentials Ca, Alk and Mg and my zeo basics. It was the coral food, amino acid and xtra (which is like an amino) so as to completely starve the algae of any nutrients till it's gone then I'll bring dosing of those things back up :) The corals still get plenty of food from the bacterial mulm from the reactor and the diatom dusting that grows on the glass and it's scraped off :)

Nice shots!
I've been using AcroPower since the spring. I think the corals like it, but truthfully my system has bounced around too much for the the last four months that it is hard to tell for sure. My monti digis still aren't happy. By bounced around I talking fluctuations in Alk/Ca/Mg and potassium. Still struggling to get it all in balance and a dosing regime automated. I've got all parts now, just haven't found the time to set everything up. I suppose that I can say anecdotally that since I haven't lost any corals, including acros (most sensitive to fluctuations) that perhaps AcroPower is helping them survive the fluctuations of params, but I really don't know.
It's hard to truly tell what a product does except under near lab conditions lol once I get the algae gone and zeo settled I'll be adding products in one at a time and documenting any changes :)
Dosing is a bit of a pain to get inline at the beginning as you don't know exactly how much and it requires a bit of testing! I went with the recommended levels of the product being dosed and tested at the start of the week and then halfway through (4 days) again if it was still low I bumped it up about 5ml (depends on the difference) and then tested again another 4 days later and over the course of a week or two I found the sweet spot :)

Great pics Dom, your corals are looking supper !
Thanks Glenn!! :D I'm really happy with the health and happiness of all the corals :) Also with the algae finally really starting to die off!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Just a small update, changed my stones on Tuesday along with a water change and it seems to have gone well. All my acro's are happy and growing nicely and some really nice colours are out and about :) Trying to source myself some show-piece quality deepwater acropora species at the moment, particularly looking for a. lokani and a. jacquelineae in some nice red, blue or purple colours! As I have a few lighting subdued spots that I would love to put some deepwaters as they're amazing acro's!

Other than that, fish are happy and healthy, algae is on the downturn still (it's a long battle but I'm winning) and my lovely t. maxima is happy as a clam so I'm loving life :yup:

I just have to say that my Bellus Angelfish (G. bellus) is fast becoming my favourite :) She is an absolutely gorgeous fish and with some amazing personality! Hand feeds and will always follow me around the tank, just watching and playing! Swims around my hands during water changes and is quite the model citizen (few squabbles with my pygmy angel but nothing worrying). She eats like a pig and just adds that something extra to the tank that I really wanted with my fish. My love for her is rather bias as I am a hardcore angelfish lover, hence why I have two in my tank! I was worried at the start that she mightn't be happy in a tank my size but she seems to be loving it and is really happy and her colours are really going strong which is the best sign to me :) She's developed the deep burnt orange on her dorsal and anal fins too which really looks good among the blue, silver and black of the rest of her :D That's my gushy love rant for my Bellus over, hope everyone else is well :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sounds like everything is going great. Its fun watching the progress and your updates.

steve
Everything is coming along really well and I have moments of pure joy whenever I watch the tank, especially from a distance where the fish can't see me and just go about their business :) I'm glad you're enjoying the ride with me! :)

How's your tank going?? Did your wife end up getting the job? :)