Wrangy's 50 Gallon Reef Cube

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Dom what does it mean when my clam has her mouth wide open i mean i did some aiptasia killing right on her, their was 7 of them i mean she was covered and i don't know fromwhere they came from and one was right under her foot. Now ever since i peppered the aiptasia she has her mouth wide open, she's still open and great looking, just concerned. Her extension is as usuall very spread but that gap is wide.

What were you using to nuke the aiptasia's?? Hopefully it's just the clam behaving a little strangely but if she has started to gap then it's not a good sign. Can you get a picture of her for me and hopefully we can sort it out and determine what's going on :)

Basile

What were you using to nuke the aiptasia's?? Hopefully it's just the clam behaving a little strangely but if she has started to gap then it's not a good sign. Can you get a picture of her for me and hopefully we can sort it out and determine what's going on :)

Aiptaisia X with the seringe with all the pumps stopped and i retarted them right away to give new waterflow . I'll try to get that picture she's near a turbine so the water above her moves quite a bit.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Aiptaisia X with the seringe with all the pumps stopped and i retarted them right away to give new waterflow . I'll try to get that picture she's near a turbine so the water above her moves quite a bit.

I haven't heard of aiptasia x effecting clams before but I'd definitely keep a close eye on her over the next few days and if she starts to gap anymore than she is now that's when I'd start to get concerned but for the moment a close eye will be best. Maybe wave your hand over the tank above her to see if she reacts like normal to a change in light.

Biggles

What's happening Dom, hope you had a great xmas and new year matey. :)

I went to Deer Park Aquarium and met Dave, very nice guy who actually knows what he's talking about. I've been looking for a royal gramma for about 18 months with no luck and Dave had two !

He's shy but eating well and i wouldn't have him if you hadn't told me to go there so thanks Dom. :dance:

s_zpsa4aec57c.jpg~original

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
What's happening Dom, hope you had a great xmas and new year matey. :)

I went to Deer Park Aquarium and met Dave, very nice guy who actually knows what he's talking about. I've been looking for a royal gramma for about 18 months with no luck and Dave had two !

He's shy but eating well and i wouldn't have him if you hadn't told me to go there so thanks Dom. :dance:

s_zpsa4aec57c.jpg~original

You too mate! Hopefully your new years and chrissy was awesome! In Singapore at the moment with family :) So a bit of a relaxing holiday! I have a friend looking after the tank for me so hopefully it all goes a heck of a lot better than it did last time!!

I'm super glad I didn't give you the bum steer on Deer Park :p Dave is really knowledgeable and definitely gets it. I spend most of my time just chatting to him when I go in, it turns a 15min water buy into a 45min stop, chat and window shop haha
That's awesome that you got a royal gramma after all that time! So good that he happened to have them in when you went buy. I love the royal gramma's and you certainly got a stunner there too :D I'm just happy my recommendation has worked out :)

I've asked him to quote me for that new tank I've been talking about haha I'm glad you convinced me to go with the 750x750x500 as that's what I'm getting quoted on a 1000mm high stand :) I started a thread in the fish discussion area about what I'm planning to stock it with too so swing by and let me know what you think! With any luck I'll have a new tank up and running by the end of Feb :woohoo:

Basile

I haven't heard of aiptasia x effecting clams before but I'd definitely keep a close eye on her over the next few days and if she starts to gap anymore than she is now that's when I'd start to get concerned but for the moment a close eye will be best. Maybe wave your hand over the tank above her to see if she reacts like normal to a change in light.

She seems alright now but i was scared because the aiptasia are so close to her about 6 of them were in growing from her shell or under her grr and i couldn't move her. i think i still have a few to get , but i think the other aren't as close to her as the previous ones. Hope you had good Holidays. For me not so much . My mate fish jumped and i don't know why actually i do know , my clown spawed and the eggs were about to hatch and they were very agressive they probable chased him too much, cause that fish is not a jumper. they i killed one of my seahorse by mistake , by cleaning my fuge making too much current i tanggled his tail in weeds and he got stuck there. So lost 3 fish in 3 days , my chromis included. Thats got to be record.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
She seems alright now but i was scared because the aiptasia are so close to her about 6 of them were in growing from her shell or under her grr and i couldn't move her. i think i still have a few to get , but i think the other aren't as close to her as the previous ones. Hope you had good Holidays. For me not so much . My mate fish jumped and i don't know why actually i do know , my clown spawed and the eggs were about to hatch and they were very agressive they probable chased him too much, cause that fish is not a jumper. they i killed one of my seahorse by mistake , by cleaning my fuge making too much current i tanggled his tail in weeds and he got stuck there. So lost 3 fish in 3 days , my chromis included. Thats got to be record.

I'm glad she seems better now :) They can be bloody tough buggers once they're happy and settled into a tank :yup:
Sorry to hear about the losses :( It's never fun losing a fishy buddy! Will you be getting some new fish and a seahorse to make it back up again?
At least your clowns are happy and spawning :) How's that monster nem of yours going??

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Big things happening in the next week!
First of all the upgrade has been postponed till a later date (most likely once I finish my degree and have a house somewhere) but things are still changing :)
I'm restarting my tank, this is going to be the first major change occurring! I'll be using fresh live rock and the zeovit 14 day cycle while everyone lives in a nice big 120L tub lol so I'm going to document that well to say the least :)
Secondly is new lights, I'm going to (most likely at this stage) be getting myself one of the brand spanking new Pacific Sun Hyperion-Pandora hybrid units with 8x 24w T5's and a 75w LED cluster for the tank as these lights will follow me into whatever my next build will be!

So I'm hoping everything can go according to plan!! :)
Monday I will be emptying the tank into the tub and giving the tank a really good clean out! No more spores or anything!! Then I shall refill it with brand new RO and add salt :) and leave that to mix and heat up overnight.
Tuesday morning will be a trip down to my lfs for some brand new fresh live rock for the tank. I will spend most of Tuesday completely scaping the tank to exactly how I want so that there's lots of room for my sps collection which will be partially restarted as bits I no longer want will be sold off along with whatever else :)

Then will come the 2 week cycle via the ZEOvit method, once that is complete I will start to slowly move things across into the tank, starting with my royal gramma and my zoa's and ric's
Next will be my flame hawk and the monti
SPS and my bellus angel will be moved across next
Finally will be my T. maxima and my rock flower anemone :)

With any luck I won't have any loses and everyone will make it across safely!! :) Wish me luck haha

Blndbunny

I have recently finished the 14 day cycle and it worked out great! So far everyone moved over easy.

Good lyck worth your change over, I can't wait to see!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have recently finished the 14 day cycle and it worked out great! So far everyone moved over easy.

Good lyck worth your change over, I can't wait to see!

Cool dude! Look forward to the next two weeks of updates!
So am I lol I can't wait to get the tank back up and running!! It looks so sad in pieces :( haha

I'll upload all of my pics from today tomorrow, the internet is playing funny buggers and I'm too tired to care now haha

Everyone made it safely into the temporary tub safely so that's the main thing!!

anarchy

So am I lol I can't wait to get the tank back up and running!! It looks so sad in pieces :( haha

I'll upload all of my pics from today tomorrow, the internet is playing funny buggers and I'm too tired to care now haha

Everyone made it safely into the temporary tub safely so that's the main thing!!
I hate a broken down tank. My 93 started lastnight and I wasn't able to finish it so it's broken down. check the thread out. Tons of work

ANARCHY

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Well the restart is in full swing now!! Tank has been torn apart clean to within an inch of it's life, put back together, re-organised and looking spick and span!! :)
This is what my babies have been reduced down to :( At least everyone is happy enough and doing okay in the tub though :)

I have made SO MUCH MESS in restarting this tank, I had cables and equipment and buckets and barrels coming out of every orifice haha it's been a really hectic two days but I'm finally at a rather decent point now :)
Not even a fraction of the mess!!

Some random shots of the cleaning process!

The tank has been repositioned and filled again :D The reason there's a gap next to the wall is I'll be placing a cabinet there for all of the wires, dosing equipment and controllers in there to hide in to make my life neater and easier to work with :) I'm yet to buy it though lol

I've made a few minor changes to things but they are for the better, I've rejigged the sump so things are easier to get to and use and clean!

And after three hardware stores, a plumbing store and two hours of my day, I found the right plumbing bits to redo the return pump outlet into the tank! Varies the flow a little and will be better all round I think :) Might cover it with zoa's :)

Let me know what you think!