Wrangy's 50 Gallon Reef Cube

Frankie

RS STAFF
We are tough stuff us reefers.
I am proud of you for being so open about it.
Life has big plans for you brother! It is a gift when we can be so open, in the hopes that our struggles will help another.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Awesome update Dom. Bet you now see a metallic green hue in those edges on the acros too. I would say its almost like having a pearlescent paint job.
Really pleased everything is going well for you in the zeo front. :)
I can't wait for the metallics in the orange to further develop, it's going to look amazing! :yup: I'm absolutely stoked with how zeo is going and simply how well everything in the tank has reacted, I wasn't expecting it to be so good :D

Thanks, been through hell and back...depression and almost gone to the other side.......took a year of therapy , a tank project and friends here to pull me through it. LOL
Thanks mate :) I'm with Frankie, it's good that you're open about it and having good friends and a tank really does make a lot of difference in life, especially during the hard times too :)

We are tough stuff us reefers.
I am proud of you for being so open about it.
Life has big plans for you brother! It is a gift when we can be so open, in the hopes that our struggles will help another.
Tough as titanium nails we are!!
Despite being half a world away, I feel I have so many buddies here and that's one of the reason I love it! One of my more local forums is the same and I'd drop what I was doing for a lot of those guys even if it wasn't reefing related :) Life has it's ups and downs but pushing through it is what makes us alive and human

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I knew I had a feeling my tank had something special happen around this time of year ;)

Turns out I missed it by two weeks though :p But my tank is actually now one year and two weeks old :D I'm pleased having made it this far and that also my hawkfish is nearly a year old in the tank too :) A couple more weeks for that though!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Just a shot of my little short spine urchin causing havoc on my frag rack haha. It's grown from the size of half a pea (including spines) to this in a few months :) About 2/3's the size of a golf ball :)

Basile

AH HA !! Happy tank birthday of course its the extra two week old i'm celebrating, lol.

tumblr_mr7kw1x7Yw1s5jnrpo1_500.gif

tumblr_mqiq3pTAtc1swmvfjo1_250.gif

Wolffman64

Hey Wrangy,

I'm glad you didn't buy new flights for the postponed Aquarium Exhibition this coming weekend, since it has been cancelled!!

What a joke, first postponement, and then cancellation. They haven't even cancelled it on their website, but their facebook page says it is cancelled. People are furious, one guy had bought tickets/hotel all the way from Darwin.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks guys! :) Been a year of fun and enjoyment! Hopefully many more still to come!

Oh wow!! That's a really ****ty way to be doing things! They weren't very good with updates or anything like that! Hopefully they learn from it this time and do a heck of a lot better next time round!! Still glad they changed the dates originally though, it's was such an awesome day in Sydney ;) lol what a pain though!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
First stone change was completed on Friday last week too, I must have done it right because the reaction was awesome! Noticeable difference once the new stones had settled over the weekend!! I'm loving zeo still and so are the corals! Hopefully I'll be able to start fragging and sharing soon too :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Busy and it doesn't make any sense but Sydney is a good ol' city! :) Lots to see and do and plenty of amazing restaurants!!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Unfortunately your corals won't retain their appearance in a non low nutrient system. Be sure the receiver understanding that. I have had people get coral from me and be disappointed from its loss of color and overall health appearance. .
What is your dosing schedule. What products and how much.
What is your current test results? Also potassium. If your checking.
Salt brand?
Sorry to hammer you. I want to understand your system a bit more.
Btw, when you change out the stones leave a few old ones in there to help populate the new ones.

Wolffman64

Thanks guys! :) Been a year of fun and enjoyment! Hopefully many more still to come!

Oh wow!! That's a really ****ty way to be doing things! They weren't very good with updates or anything like that! Hopefully they learn from it this time and do a heck of a lot better next time round!! Still glad they changed the dates originally though, it's was such an awesome day in Sydney ;) lol what a pain though!

I know, my son was so excited to come with me. Very poorly handled, IMO you don't advertise the way they did, including a full speaking programme for both day, and then cancel it just 2 weeks before opening. Very poor form, and I feel really sorry for all the people that have already bought flights for it. Makes me want to boycott them next time..

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Unfortunately your corals won't retain their appearance in a non low nutrient system. Be sure the receiver understanding that. I have had people get coral from me and be disappointed from its loss of color and overall health appearance. .
What is your dosing schedule. What products and how much.
What is your current test results? Also potassium. If your checking.
Salt brand?
Sorry to hammer you. I want to understand your system a bit more.
Btw, when you change out the stones leave a few old ones in there to help populate the new ones.

All corals I share and sell will be coming with that as the first point of purchase and I won't be selling any of it without having shared that info with potential buyers. Given the reception the corals have had to zeo I'll be making sure as I would hate for people to be disappointed when things do dull a little.

Zeo dosing:
Bak: 2 drops daily (2 drops three times a week at the moment when in maintenance due to higher nutrients)
Start: 0.2ml twice daily after pumping the reactor morning and evening
Stones: 500ml of stones (I only changed the recommended 50% at the 4 week mark but next change will be about 80-90% as suggested)
Carbon: 200ml changed monthly, next week.

Vitalizer: 2 drops every second day
Sponge Power: 2 drops with vital (don't have any at the moment though)
Bio-mate: 2 drops three times a week, will be dropping it back when nutrients are lower. (Mon, Wed, Sat)

Elements:
Calcium: 22ml a day (I think, I'll check when I get home)
Alk: 30ml (really not sure here haha I'll check again)
Acropower Amino Acids: 1ml daily (3ml a week less than the recommended 10ml but I don't mind)

Measurements:
Calcium: ~430ppm
Alk: 2.5-2.7meq/L
Mg: 1230ppm
Salinity: 35ppm (don't use specific gravity anymore)

I haven't been checking potassium but as I get closer to the next stone change I will as I use NSW and I haven't seen any blues fade yet, only brighten :) But I will test it as I know it can be critically important in ULNS.
No salt brand, I'm a NSW guy lol I get really high quality stuff and test before each WC and I've not had any problems, also being a uni student salt isn't an expense I'm looking at yet LOL I realise it might be better but I'm happy with nsw so I haven't felt the need to change yet :)

Thanks for the tips :) and don't worry bout hammering haha I'm happy to answer any questions you've got :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I know, my son was so excited to come with me. Very poorly handled, IMO you don't advertise the way they did, including a full speaking programme for both day, and then cancel it just 2 weeks before opening. Very poor form, and I feel really sorry for all the people that have already bought flights for it. Makes me want to boycott them next time..

I feel sorry for everyone too, it's truly poor form by them and hopefully they don't make the same mistakes next time and try and get some more interest and following! It would have been an awesome day too, it's such a pity

Frankie

RS STAFF
Awesome reply thank you!
Less is OK in the beginning. Stick with the basic 4 as solid as possible for the first few stone changes then start to consider the others.
I think your doing awesome. I wish I could get nsw. Don't change to synthetic salt unless necessary. I keep forgetting your location.
How is the water clarity? What brand of Carbon are you using?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Awesome reply thank you!
Less is OK in the beginning. Stick with the basic 4 as solid as possible for the first few stone changes then start to consider the others.
I think your doing awesome. I wish I could get nsw. Don't change to synthetic salt unless necessary. I keep forgetting your location.
How is the water clarity? What brand of Carbon are you using?

I love reefing so I love answering any questions, especially about my tank ;) lol
Yep, I'm running with less so not to shock my system and my acro's in particular as my nutrients were high (I don't test due to algal growth skewing results) but algae is on the decline and once it's gone I'll start testing nutrients again and looking into some extra products depending on what the tank requires! But for the moment I'm sticking to the basics + amino acids + higher amounts of coral food, I like have healthy everything, even if it means algae hangs around for a little longer. I feed the tank 4-5 times a day in small amounts due to my anthias and bellus angelfish who all have high metabolisms!
Slowly I'm tuning things in, for instance, instead of running the reactor 3hrs on and 3hrs off cycle I had the flow at 150lph (225lph is the recommended flow for my tank (50gph)) I've now bumped that up to about 200lph now and after the next change I will be setting it to the 225lph require and recommended. I get a decent mulm going so I don't feel the need to adjust start or bak yet. Soon I will be bringing my biomate dosing down but not just yet. I do have food and xtra but no food till I think the tank needs it (long way off if ever) and xtra won't be happening till low nutrients are reached an algae is wiped out. Once I reach that stage I may also look at calcium reactors depending on consumption rates and a few other aspects :) I would love a calcium reactor!
Not planning on changing to synthetic unless i truly see the need but due to the quality of salt water I'm getting, I really don't see that happening, I live in Melbourne so it's collected offshore outside the bay I'm pretty sure :) My lfs passes it through a micron sock too so little bit cleaner too :) I really enjoy using nsw too as it replaces a lot of trace elements and things that might not have been thought about too.
I use KZ carbon, decided it was just best off to use their carbon considering I've never run carbon before this. Clarity in the tank is awesome, the glass I have is opti-clear (step down from starfire) and the tank is rimless so you can really tell what the clarity is like and if I ever feel it's gone down a little I dose 2.5ml of coral snow and it becomes amazing again!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Nice. KZ carbon is good but Rox is better if you can get it.
If your happy that is all that matters :)
Not so sure about restricting the food7 though. It helps the bac to proliferate.
I need to do some reading. I believe I reduced food7 after my first year due to bacterial growth on my glass. It cleared and I never used it again.
Most of my knowledge is from 4 years ago, so things may have changed since then.
Thanks for the great conversation!

Frank