~Woody's 120 Escapade~

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Oil based polyurethane over oil based paint.

Can I lightly sand just the areas in need, repaint and then polyurethane?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
You can speed up the druing process with a hand held hair dryer. I would wait for the whole piece to dry before trying to touch up. Or you can spot dry those areas with the hair dryer and retouch before continuing. Oil based paint takes twice as long or longer to dry when the temperature is low. Do you have a space heater to put in the garage? Remember, nothing good happens fast in this hobby.:lol: Good luck.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thank you scott for the info. The space heater and blowdryer are great ideas :thumbup: It isn't that cold to me but anything to speed up oil paint drying is welcomed!

BrothaWolf

Another set back. When polyurethaning the trim this morning, in spots the paint was coming off :( Evidently 24 hrs is not long enough for the paint to dry since my garage is cold. The spots are only a few and they are very small. I am not sure how to fix it just yet...

I had the same problem with my tank after I painted it. When I pulled off the masking tape I pulled off a lot of paint. I know better. I shouldve run a knife a long the edge before removing the tape... repainted the spots and now Im
grinnin like a possum peekin over a log at a rotten persimmon!!!!

billyr98

sorry u got a setback... but it will just make us wait a little longer :(

We are all patient anyway we are all reefers!!!!
:LOL:

Witfull

close the garage door, start the car up and turn the heater on,,,sit back and wait,,,,,NO DONT DO THAT~

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Murphy is really being a pain this weekend... I just had to take a flexeril due to back pain.

saltwaterfarm

OH NO! Mr. Murphy better skedattle... It's time for this project to come together for you. Least ya had meds... Are you still fighting your trim?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I patched the trim up fine earlier :thumbup:

Now it needs 3 coats of polyurethane on everything AFTER the paint has dried a full 24 hrs. With the heater going, it should be dry and ready for the 1st coat of polyurethane tomorrow night; then the last 2 coats Tuesday; which puts me at switching tanks on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday.

A LFS has ordered the loc-line for my return; it will be available Wednesday.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Hehe.. I'll use a pvc pipe until it comes in ;) That will not stop me once I get that close!

jrf1175

Saw you painted the back of the tank yourself. I was thinking about doing the same...what kind of paint did you use?

Thanks!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
This is what I used...
20070205001.jpg