Woodstock's 90 gallon

ahchung

What a nice tank!

I have a 50G tank stocked with SPS, and I just got a Aqua-C Remora Pro skimmer. I would like to ask for your comments on Aqua-C Remora Pro skimmer on SPS, and with a Mag7 pump whether the skimmer releases micro-bubbles to the tank.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I love my skimmer! It is super easy to clean or adjust and with the overflow drain, I don't have to worry about the cup overflowing. It produces about 1/2-1 gal of skimmate per week out of my tank :D Mine does release micro bubbles... i think... out of the 3 pumps/power heads I have, something does but it's not too bad. The skimmer on the first section of the sump (there are only 2 sections) and I don't have any type of bubble catcher (sponge, etc) at the skimmer. I did not see an increase in micro bubbles when I upgraded from the mag 5 to the mag 7.

The skimmer will definately release lots of micro bubbles when it is new (first few weeks of operation).

Ohhh.. Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!! :)

ahchung

Thanks for your prompt reply!

I don't run a sump and so microbubbles would be an issue if there are too many. Do you think I should stick with Mag3 or go for Mag5 or Mag7 if I just run the skimmer in the display tank? Too many bubbles would simulate the SPS's to produce mucus which would be a problem.

Also when I checked the specification of Mag3/5/7 I found that the diameter of the pump outlet is 1/2", but diameter of the inlet of the skimmer is 3/4". Do you need an adaptor in order to mount the pump to the skimmer (PS: My skimmer is a 2nd hand skimmer and I just got the body when I purchased it).

One more question: Do you know whether there exists a Mag-Drive pump that runs at 220V-240V? BTW, I live in Hong Kong.

Thanks again for your time.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I would guess to say that a mag 3 pump would produce less micro bubbles than a mag 5 or 7....

I use 1/2" id vinyl tubing to hook my mag 7 to the skimmer inlet. I bought my skimmer 2nd hand also and it was set up this way when I got it. However, when looking at the skimmers intake, it is clear to see that you can change the ribbed intake easily. I would contact the skimmer company (or your local hardware store) if you need to purchase a 1/2" intake.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
New Additions!!!

Here are a few new additions!! Wow, I love reefing!! :whstlr:

I am not sure WHAT to think about my gobies now... :rolleyes: Is this a goby party?? LOL~
Goby_Party.JPG

I added another female lyretail anthias!! She is the big one in the center. They all get along great. "Schroeder" pushes them around occassionally but they don't seem to mind that. In the background you can see that the percs started hosting in one of the euphyllia corals... they made the switch when I moved the goniopora into the sump for a few days hoping they would go into the haddoni carpet... *sigh* .... ohhh well.
Lyretail_anthias_family.JPG

I now have a crocea clam!!!! :bigbounce
Crocea_clam.JPG

KimPossible

Very Nice Doni!
Everything looks healthy and happy....especially your clown snuggled up in your frogspawn :)
Congrats on the crocea, it has a nice color and pattern!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks for the compliments everyone :) I'll get a full tank shot tomorrow (lights are off now)

Yarr

ah Very nice :) Still not sure about the sandbed... but thats life :) looks great.. lvoe the lil shrimp.. can u imagine they are over 100 bucks each here :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks :) The lights had just come on and there are two finger leathers that were still pouting :rolleyes: hehe

Oh yes, I can get used to a gritty bottom very quickly! :D At first I had a little cyno on the sand but I added a new poly filter, exported as much of the algae as I could, and added a bag of phosban to my make up water container (just to be sure).... and it's all gone :) Ohhhh... I also got a new sump light to help my chaeto in the fuge grow faster.

Yeah, I like sand :) but more importantly, my xenia is finally staying alive and growing!! I love my xenia~