Woodstock's 90 gallon

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Shells - those are not flatworms. Those are harmless filter feeders.

Cheeks - nope, I've not added any live sand other than the bagged live sand. The flatworms appeared since my addition of the clam so I'm guessing they came on it...

ScottT1980

cheeks69 said:
I've never dealt with flatworms but would increasing the dose make any difference ?

I debated this thought. I dosed 1.5X what was indicated, and that pissed off enough corals for me to not want to press my luck (mind you, I did not lose any). Afterall, beyond aesthetics, I never witnessed any problems with the pests. I think that if I had increased flow to certain dead spots in my tank, I might have been a bit more succesful.

Again, good luck Doni. If you do use it, make sure you have a canister filter or hang-on with plenty of carbon.

Take er easy
Scott T.

KimPossible

The Velvet Nudibranch is an effective way to control flatworms in aquaria, however are sensitive to rapid changes in water
( as are the Planaria ) and have a short life expenctancy. LiveAquaria.Com

Last edited:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks Scott and Kim. So far the flatworms are not bothering any thing so the treatment risks far outweigh just leaving them alone. I will keep an eye on them and increase the regular water changes..... I want to use up all my Oceanic & IO anyways so i can order some Tropic Marine salt! :)

daveat

I was going to mention the velvet nudibranch but somebody beat me to it, my LFS has one that they practically loan out, you buy it one day and take it back in a week, their life expectancy is only short due to a lack of food after they eat all your flat worms, but they are very sensitive to water changes.

Reelheel

Doni,
Don't want to hijack, and I (admittedly :( ) haven't checked in on your thread in a while, but I wanted to give my two cents on your situation. I've had flatworms since I can remember, and I've never had any huge problems with them. They are unsightly, but in my experience virtually harmless. The population waxes and wanes in my systems, but I know how attentive you are to your tank and they are easily minimized with regular water changes, etc. If I were you I'd keep up your regular maintenance and try to suck out as many of them as you can each time you do a WC. It's hard to totally get rid of them but you can keep their numbers in check pretty easily usually.
I wanted to give you an update on Fantasia too...she is doing wonderfully in her new home - she is the queen of the tank and my personal aiptasia assassin. Periodically I bring rock and or corals from my prop tanks for her to "clean" off the pest anemones, and she literally wipes them all out within minutes. It is amazing to see nature in action. I can't get rid of those things no matter what I do, but she just sucks them off with ease...
Thanks again for sharing her with me! You're the greatest...

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Yarr - thanks~

Daveat - I'm going LFS hopping tomorrow.. I'll look for a velvet nudi. Thanks!

Reelheel - That is exactly what I have been reading; they are unsightly but harmless unless they begin to cover corals. I do not have that many and you have to look very closely to see them now. I will continue to suck them out with each water change and possible get a velvet nudi. I am VERY happy to hear Fantasia is doing well!! I was hoping she wouldn't go on a hunger strike. Thank you for giving her a great home!!! :D

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Bummer~~~

I came home from work the other day to find a dead tank. The fuse had blown in my Reefkeeper Controller and everything but the skimmer was off :( The temp was down to 74 deg! Every thing is doing fine thank goodness!

Also, my mag 7 pump to my skimmer went bad so I will put the mag 3 back on it soon... when I can find a 1/2" fpt x 3/4" hose barb!!! karma to someone who can find it for me! I have looked at my local Home Depot and on several online retailers .....

Ohhh... I still have not dosed Flatworm Exit nor have I been able to find a velvet nudi yet..... for now I vacuum out as many flatworms as possible with each weekly water change.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Wow when I read dead tank my heart sank...glad evertyhing pulled thru Doni !
Do you have an ACE hardware I have one near me and I believe they carry it:rollingey

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Can't you get a 3/4" hose barb with mpt and use pvc fittings with a reducer down to 1/2" with fpt?

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I haven't had a chance to read through your whole thread and see all the pics, but when I first opened the thread, I was taken to your most recent FTS, and OMG its AWESOME!!! Then I got to the post from today, my heart sank.

I'm soooo glad everything is OK!

mps9506

I don't think you are going to find that size fitting doni. You are going to have to use multiple fittings most likely. I'm thinking 1/2"fpt x 3/4" fpt... Then attach a barb fitting to that. Along the lines of what joe was saying.

Wish I could help out, but I'm a bit out of the way. Anything we can help you out with from down here though just let me know :)
BTW, where are you getting the tropic marin from?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks everyone! Sorry for the scare~ (Witfull, I did scream~ LOL )

Fidojoe - thank you for the compliment :D

Ok...I will go that route with the fittings, thanks!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Tropic Marine Sea Salt

BTW, where are you getting the tropic marin from?

Good question. There is Tropic Marine and there is Tropic Marine PRO REEF salt; I intend on using the Tropic Marine. Where ever I get it, It needs to be a decent price since I go through a lot of salt. My LFS can order it at a cost of $65 (200gal); EBAY has it for $60 shipped(200 gal); most other online distributors charge $70+++ shipped....

...did you know it comes in a 300 gal bag (83 lbs)?! :eek: I would not be able to move it! LOL~~ Anyway, I prefer the bucket so it will seal tightly...