Todd's RSM 130D SPS Garden

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sure it'll fit. I threw in the tank name as well. Easy to change if you want to "mod" the title again LOL! Only the first and new posts will show the new header, but the thread listings will now show the new title.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
WOW!!!! AWESOME TERRY!!! I FEEL LIKE................I JUST LOST 20lbs ON JENNY CRAIG!!!! AND ALL THE FOOD WAS FREE...............................LOL
I need to get some good photos up now!!!!!

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Terry,
Its still dark here, so I decided to try my hand and snapping some photos using my Canon Rebel w/ flash on and all lights off!
Hoping I can stay away from "Raw Mode" and having to adjust everything!
These where all very small frags. They have all grown well down onto my rock now.
I have never been much for feeding, but after getting the bacteria count back up, I feed 3-4 times per week now.
I am still running a 20K 250 watt metal halide! It'sw been 12 months now!
Still make my own buffer, mag, calcium is Salifert Coral grower. I switched over to Brightwells Neomarine salt and love it!!! Spot on! And that makes it so much easier in this little 34 gallon tank!
I will need to clean the glass to get a full tank shot. I will try and clean this morning and get more pics this afternoon.
If I can keep the water dialed in this good, in 6 months its going to really look like "Acropora Noodles" in there!!
Still running the Euroreef mesh wheel skimmer in the rear chambers! No sump!
Putting the biobeads back in made a big difference! Still zero nitrates and phosphates w/ Salifert and Hanna phosphate meter!
IMG_3257-1.jpg

IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3253.jpg

IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3235-1.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

redseareef

RS Sponsor
There's a cople of things I am not too about about with my light anymore. It shines straight down, so some of the corals colors are at the very top and towards the back.
So I need to move the pendant towards teh front of the tank and angle it back to move the light rays so they are concentrated on the face of the reef. If that makes sense!!!
I have also been experimenting with reef snow. Not that this brand is better then any of the others, but my theory is that it "MAY" gut load the water borne bacteria that SPS corals feed off of.
My colors have been popping spectacular!!! And growth has been very very rapid lately!

redseareef

RS Sponsor
I wish I was better with the camera Terry. I will try to keep practicing with it! Alot of the colors are metallic looking, and hard to get on photo. Simply put, I am just not that great with the camera...................LOL....I SUCK!!!!!
Thank you for the compliments!!! It's very touchy with all these acros in there, and one is now 8 inches across!!!!
The colors have really gotten bright the last few weeks!!!

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Here's a few more. A before and after shot on this one!
Take a look at eh Acro on the left..................
IMG_2936.jpg

Here it is now. Not a exceptionally fast grower. Could be my Vortech MP20 making to much current, so it's grown thicker and down onto the rock.
IMG_3155.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Great growth Todd! The pics look fine to me. If you have any post-processing software it's often a matter of using that to make some color adjustments to match what you actually see. Cameras aren't the greatest at having colors come out well under artificial tank lighting conditions.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Thanks Terry, yea, that bottom pic of the multiple shots was one with the lights on!
I am going to try and get a real good FTS!!!!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Wow, you have some amazing growth going on Todd, well done. Everything looks really healthy. Don't down yourself with the photos either, I think they look great. As Terry said, it is real hard to replicate the colours that we see in person compared to a photo. I'm a point and shoot man myself and my tank looks much bluer in my photos than it really is.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Leigh,
Thats me exactly!!!!! Everything gets washed out. I have even been temped to bust out a 10 or 12k bulb and install it to get some more real color pics!!!
I have some crazy colors going on right now. I am pretty excited.
YEs, growth is really good! I am burning through 15 mls a day just in buffer. And about 8 mls of calcium a day! Not counting the kalk in my make up water!!!!
It's fun, and I cannto wait until

redseareef

RS Sponsor
gareeferman,
Thank you! Yea, I actually have a doser for my buffer! Its a perilistic type and is digital. Set it and forget it! That takes care of my KH.
I am getting another one next week for my calcium! IT has caught me off gaurd a few times where my levels dipped down to 360-ish!!!
Thats a big no no with SPS!!!! I am going to try and get some better shots in the coming days.
I am getting a heavy bioload now, and feeding twice a day. SO I do have to be careful.
I will let you guys know when I have to frag. Maybe we can make some trades!

reeferman

i love trades!i set up the reactor on my 250 and never have to touch it.steady 9 kh and 420 calc.i was spending a LOT on 2 part and could never get params steady.no such problems now.you asked Terry about his t5s,you thinking of switching?

redseareef

RS Sponsor
gareeferman,
Yes, reactors certainly have their place indeed! I have owned quite a few in the past with my old Knop being my all time favorite!
Just for this small of a tank, the doser is so simple and basic! Virtually maintenance free to compared to a reactor.
By the way, I got to quickly scroll through a few pages of your thread! Great Job! Your tank is beautiful!!!!!
I will try and look through it all here tonight or tomorrow.
Are you running the stock T5's? By the looks of it you at least changed out the bulbs! LOL
Yea, I like the looks of the T5's alot! And the bulb combos you can do are awesome! I know it would cut my electric bill a bit!!!
I run a CoralView pendant with the pendant 21 inches above my tank!! The reflector is really efficient. So heat is not a issue, and I have chiller anyways!
I can pick up Hamiltons 24 inch fixture for really cheap! And it comes with 6 bulbs, LED's fans, the whole enchilada for very reasonable!
How do you like yours???? School me please!!!!! I have a top of the line PAR meter too! We rent them out, so I think I could make the switch and dial it in pretty close without frying anything.................LOL

reeferman

thanks for the kind words Todd!my fixture is still stock but have changed bulbs a couple of times.your right,a reactor on a nano would probably be more work than its worth,i was just ribbing you a little!:poke: i went from mh on my last tank to the t5s on the 250 and was very pleasantly suprised how well they perform.i put several acros too close to the surface thinking they needed it and now they are huge.im working on a new 120 gal setup that will utilize an ATI Powermodule 10x 48" t5s.im totally sold on the power of t5s.like you said,so many bulb combos to choose from so you can dial in exactly the look you prefer.that par meter sure will come in handy.good luck on whatever you decide to do.looking forward to following along.:chair: