Todd's RSM 130D SPS Garden

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Anyone have any experience with the Hamilton 14K bulbs??? My 250 watt 20K Radium is 13 months old. Getting close to change it out.
Was thinking of trying the 14K as I have heard good things about it!
Thanks!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Todd. I did have 2 actinics in the fixture - it was the Current with the MH and 4 T5s. Without the actinics & other T5's it probably would have been too yellow for my liking , even with a 14K MH.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Terry,
It sure does take some getting used to I know! I am just curious as to what colors/changes I can get out of my corals with it! Need to ask around some more I suppose!
THANKS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!

reeferman

hey Todd,i run a 14k on my frag tank with 4 t5 actinic.its really yellow without the actinics on and really with them on too.the mh washes out the blue but you can definitely see a difference with the t5s on.i would run supplemental t5s if it was me.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Hi Mbdave,
I would love to see pics when you get it going. I hear great things about the 14k's just wondering if I should try one!
Thanks Terry! It's been a tough year! Let's hope it starts to improve next year!
Hi Reggie,
Thanks for the tips! Im still on the fence with this one! IT takes time to get used to the different colors for sure. It's not cheap though purchasing bulbs then not liking them!

tnwillia

Hey Todd, I've been running 14Ks. Phoenix are my favorite. I tried the Ushio bulbs this time and the have a very yellow tint. Going back to Phoenix when I need bulbs again. I'm with Reggie, I get all my Coral color out of the additional T5 Actinics. Have fun and Merry Christmas!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I saw the same thing with the Ushio 14k being yellower than Phoenix & other brands. I thought it was just my imagination.

tnwillia

Nope, I thought it would go away after they burned in but it's till just as yellow as when new. I can tell a big difference in my pictures also. So, back to Phoenix.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Tom,
Thanks for the heads up! Do you think the Phoenix 14k's are as blue as my Radium? I need to check your thread pics out again. I run the Radium 20K and one ULV 75/25 T5 bulb. This brings out the pinks in the coralline algae.
Thinking about changing over all together with a Hamilton T5 unit just to try it out! I know I could really fine tune colors then and save a bit on electricity for sure!
I just like the metal halides. Bummer, as IceCap no longer builds the ballast I run! I know there are others. Hope my ballast lasts a few more years if I decide to stay with it!
Just so you guys know, the ballasts make a big difference many times in the colors of the bulbs as well....

tnwillia

Not sure Todd They were a white'ish blue. Picture wise I was able to get much closer to what I saw in the tank. Good luck with what ever you go with!

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Hey guys,
I tried out the Hamilton 14K bulb tonight and all I can say is WOW!!!! What a awesome color!!!! No yellow at all that I have heard about from some people. What comes to mind is...........THE BALLAST!!!! Different ballasts will produce different colors indeed.
This bulb from what I have seen so far is just a beautiful color blue with enough red in it to highlight my pink coralline. Before I was running a Radium 20K w/ 1 T5 red bulb. This bulb is really nice. I may even try a 12K later. I run a Ice Cap electronic metal halide ballast.
Once the PAR meters come back, I will post some numbers. I am anxious to see what it puts out! A spectacular bulb so far for the price!!!

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Terry,
Bulb has burned in nicely today! Wow! I love it! I can get rid of that nasty looking T5 strip sitting on top of my tank now.
I cannot believe I went all this time without using this bulb. Now I just need to see how the corals respond. By Sunday, I should see either a positive or negative difference. I am hoping for a positive one!:tongue::bluenod: