Todd's RSM 130D SPS Garden

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Hi everyone,
My new Max 130D has finally arrived and is schedualed for delivery tomorrow morning between 10:00 and 12:00!!!!! It's here two cities over from me!
I have been waiting for three weeks. I am pleased to say I should have some sort of pictures by tomorrow evening. Hopeing to post them for everyone and answer any questions anyone may have.
I may have it filled with freshwater for a trial run! You know, checking for leaks and stand sturdyness BEFORE it goes into the office!
Crossing my fingers it's not broken when it arrives!
Man, it's like Christmas Eve for me tonight. I feel like a little kid again!hehehehehehehehe

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Re: Its Here, Its Here, Finally Here!!!!

Hi Guys,
Thanks! Yes, I am pretty darn excited!!!! I almost cracked open a beer!LOL.
I want to do a little testing on the new skimmer tomorrow. I figured I could submerge it in my existing tank and plug the pump in! Get a good idea of the Air/Seawater ratio this thing puts out! If anyone is interested in seeing a pic I will post it!
Thanks guys

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Congrats - I'm sure it seems like it's taken forever to arrive! I hope it arrives in perfect condition. No beer though, till AFTER you get it set up! :) And yes - if you set up the skimmer in another tank we'd all love to see how it does. I hope by "other tank" you mean a non-RSM tank? From what steveh has said the 130D skimmer will not fit into older RSM models.

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Reefmack,
Yes, I have a 50 gallon I can submerge it in. Then snap a few photos of the air output. This is a must do for me, as I have always been kind of a gadget freak you could say.
Should make for a fun day if it arrives in one piece!!!
Thanks everyone!

Mavjoy

Oh yeah!!!...I can finally see a new RSM 130D running. Can't wait to see it. Please post a lot pics..lol...and take pics of the back chambers too. Congratulations!

Stacef

PICS!
Pics
pics

Please?
I have a way of getting what I want a lot of the time... so I'm hoping you'll follow suit with some pics :D

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Hello everyone,
Just so everyone knows, my name is Todd. 42 years young! A wife, a daughter thats 11. Two dogs, a bird and a RedSea Max 130D. Oh, and a mortage on the house!!! We live in Sunny Southern California!
We are just finishing up a 1000 sq ft room addition on the house. Eventually, the tank will be in the new family room!
I have kept marine tanks now for over 20 years. I wanted something easy to maintain yet nice! With excellent quality. I chose the RedSea Max!!!!
Wow, StaceF wants pics. I am working on it here! Been a busy day!!! Ok, here is a few paragraphs of what is going on with the MadMax 130D!

Stand: Took me about 2 hours to assemble between phone calls, kids, dogs and the door bell. I am VERY pleased with the stand!!! It is built like a TANK!!! VERY heavy duty and beautiful. You get a adjustable shelf inside, and the back is opened up for chiller ventilation.
One thing I noticed about the directions. The bottom flat piece has a recessed area in the front. Not shown on the directions?????? It will throw you for a little loop, it did me anyway!
Not sure whats going on here, but from the photos I got the old stand. It has one horizontal groove in the door towards the top. On the new stands, they have grooves from top to bottom. SHOULD I DARE CALL REDSEA ON THIS????? HMMMMMMMMM
The door swings to the left. When opened, you have full access inside! Very nice! Very well thought out and like I said HEAVY DUTY!!!!! The black paint is sort of a semi-gloss finish. Very beautiful. Furniture quality!!

Tank: Again, not a toy. Built VERY heavy Duty! Thick glass. The filtration system is all glass and built well. The tank has its back glass wall, then another sandwitched up next to it for the filter.
Looking at the tank from the front, to the left is a sight glass window for viewing the water level. What they have done is glued a piece of black acrylic over the end of the tank. There is a window in the acrylic with marks on it so you can get your water level where you want it and monitor it. Nice feature!!! You could possibly remove that piece of plastic and have a full view of the chambers in the back from that side. The wife said NO WAY!!!LOL!
Skimmer:
The skimmer is ALOT larger then I thought it would be. Very well built and thought out. I LOVE THE PUMP!!! MADE BY HYDOR FOR REDSEA!!!! Hydor makes quality products in Italy I think.
The neck of the collection cup is actually threaded. Spin it up or down for height adjustment! NICE! Also, a air valve on the airline! Cannot wait to try it out and post some pics. So far, from what I have seen no need to replace the skimmer. This skimmer should work well. Time will tell once it's plugged in!
Hood: Love it! Easy access to everything! Even the return pumps are right there when the hood is raised straight up and down! Piece of cake to remove! No more Bermuda Rectangle there, lol!
The timer is a German made unit! These timers are excellent and keep great time! I actually prefer these over the digitals! Enclosed with a lid and a cover to be water proof! A seperate switch in there too for the blue LED moonlights! AWESOME!!!!! The main PC-T5 lights are stunning! Very powerful indeed and the color is excellent! A crisp white with a nice blue tone to them! Dual fans to keep the fixture cool. The fans are pretty quiet and do a great job!!!
Also, the unit came with another fan to mount in the back if need be. Not sure if I will use it yet. The unit also came with auxilary hook-ups that snap into the back for a chiller or whatever else you want to add. The fittin feven have quick disconnects on them! WOW!
I am just in the initial stages here so bear with me. I will try and post a few pictures!
Please feel free to add information or ask questions. This is all part of the fun!!
A TRUE VALUE FOR THE MONEY COMPARED TO OTHER UNITS OUT THERE!! There is no way you could piece a system together for this price! It would cost you double, and still not look as nice and clean as the Max!
I am going to have to start shinking my pics now. If I can get to it tonight I will post.
Thank you:bluenod:

alphasierra

Wow, sounds impressive. Please keep us informed.
Looking forward to the pics.

AS

steveh

Congrats ongetting your RSM130D all set up, and thanks for choosing one of our products- we really appreciate it.
You have the new cabinet design, which I personally love the look of. I've passed the comment on about amending the instructions slightly and thanks for making us aware of this. We've been kinda busy and missed this! Looking forwards to seeing your progress, and if you don't have the MAX starter kit then I would definitely recommend considering this as it's a great way of getting you everything you need. I'm following the manual pretty closely with my RSM and have to say it's been a pleasure so far. No mods and everything works really well. Of course you have an even nicer model..... All the best, Steve

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

redseareef - thanks for the update! I think the stand takes a lot longer to put together than the tank setup LOL!. But, I agree - the RSM stands are very heavy duty, and very sturdy! The new skimmer design sounds very interesting too. Keep the updates coming!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

redseareef - how's it going? I hope you haven't had any problems.

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Reefmack,
I am back! Just exhausted tired from work!!! Trying to pay for this thing,LOL!
Ok, here's what going on with the tank at this stage. I have learned a few things here as I am moving along.
I filled the tank up and all is well! No leaks,no breaks. I filled it up with freshwater for a test run.
The tank is quiet! Lots of bubbles at first, now there is none! Tank looking great! The parents came over and my Mom loved it! Quote: "It looks so much better then that ugly hodgepodge thing in the office you have",LOL!!!!!
Uh, errrrr, ok Thanks Mom!!! Everyone thinks it much larger then it really is!!! NICE JOB REDSEA, The tank is AWESOME!!!!
After filling I have realized a few more things about the tank.
1. Lighting. WOW! I know of a T5 tank that is very impressive with 2.6 watts of light per gallon. If memory serves me right, the MAx is at approx. 3.7 watts per gallon! The lights are very bright. It's deceiving with a empty tank.
I think I read 11,600 lumens. Unfortunately you cannot really convert lumens to par. "Trying" to convert lumens to par may vary up to 60% depending on the bulbs. Anyway, I wont go there. I will save that for another time.
2. Pumps: Very nice. Could be a little stronger and have longer flexible loc-line for more direction. They are nice and clean and simple though. The pumps all seem to be very quiet. Nice!!! They are matched up nicely with the skimmer pump in terms of flow also. RedSea put in a good effort for this.
3. Skimmer, we all know what happens when you fire up a skimmer in freshwater. BIB BIG bubbles!!! It's a good indicator of flow however. From what I can see, this skimmer has ALOT of potential. The air ratio looks excellent, and flow is excellent. This skimmer design reminds me of my Deltec MCE600. I like everything about it and by this coming Monday rock will be in the tank and it should be skimming away. I see absolutely NO reason as of yet to change to a aftermarket skimmer. All skimmers need to be broken in and then dialed in. I have had skimmers in the past that took days to break in.
Now I have a few questions.
1 HOW DO I SHRINK DOWN MY DARN PICTURES SO I CAN START POSTING THEM HERE!!!! I HAVE A TON OF PICS!!!!
Thanks

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Sounds great! On the pictures - have you tried Photobucket? It's free - you upload pictures to your gallery, then copy the image link to paste in your post. It'll let you resize too if needed after uploading.

Photobucket

Easy to use once you get used to it. And if your PC crashes, like mine did, at least you can get at some of your pictures in this manner.

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Reefmack,
Cool program!!! Let me try a picture and see how this works

Attachments

• DSC01697-1.jpg
    DSC01697-1.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 663

redseareef

RS Sponsor

Reefmack,
Sorry to "Guini Pig". Looks like I could have went from the medium size pic to the large size!!!!
I will get alot of pics on here today for everyone to see!
Thanks Reefmack for the help!