The Bluespot Club

LandonL

Hi Guys,
I am new to RS, but have a few years in the hobby. I am a Biology grad student, so most of my work focuses on marine systems. Opistognathus rosenblatti is my favorite fish, and I have had three over the course of the hobby.

I currently have none, but will be getting a few soon. I have had some success with breeding Opistognathus species before, as this genus is kind of a personal interest/side-focus for me in research. I am thinking of doing some more genetics research, but don't want to give to much away about my ideas.

I will post some updates here on occasion as time progresses and let everybody know how things are going. I have some novel ideas about how to approach breeding this species. Does anyone want to share their experience so far or know where some write ups of attempts are in this thread (buried somewhere in 316 pages). Feel free to PM any information or with questions if you would like.

Thanks,
Landon

LandonL

Hi Guys,
I am new to RS, but have a few years in the hobby. I am a Biology grad student, so most of my work focuses on marine systems. Opistognathus rosenblatti is my favorite fish, and I have had three over the course of the hobby.

I currently have none, but will be getting a few soon. I have had some success with breeding Opistognathus species before, as this genus is kind of a personal interest/side-focus for me in research. I am thinking of doing some more genetics research, but don't want to give to much away about my ideas.

I will post some updates here on occasion as time progresses and let everybody know how things are going. I have some novel ideas about how to approach breeding this species. Does anyone want to share their experience so far or know where some write ups of attempts are in this thread (buried somewhere in 316 pages). Feel free to PM any information or with questions if you would like.

Thanks,
Landon

bluespotjawfish

Landon, welcome.

Please share your research or link us up with where it is located. I had a pair and I believe Lynn still does.

My female had eggs twice, lost both batches on the transfer. They were in a 125 gallon community tank though. Here are some videos.

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=P1110704-BJ-Misses_Breeding_Behavio.mp4

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=P1110739-BJ-Missing_BreedingBehavio.mp4

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z113/bluespotjawfish/?action=view&current=P1110722_Misses_Den.mp4

Hoosier Daddy

I am now part of the club. I actually had him for the last few months. Crappy Iphone pics but here is my BSJ that shares his home with another goby :). Can anyone tell me what kind of goby that is?

redseamaxFTS.jpg

BSJoutinopen.jpg

BSJwithgoby.jpg

LivBlue

Just got a blue spot Monday I'm very excited. I've had a yellow head in the past but always liked the blue spots finally got one. Named him Geno

2011-02-01123934.jpg

corrado007

That's super cool, they share a burrow. Love it. My BSJF never got too close to my Yellow Watchmen, if they crossed paths it became a big mouth contest. Funny fish.

Basser1

Hey All..... Good to see new additions. Well sadly, 2011 is starting out bad for me. My tank that I have had going for well over 4 years without any problems crashed right after the first of the year. I had a heater that exploded and I ended up losing several hundreds of dollars of corals and a maxima clam that I had for 4 years. And even worse, I lost Dugger. He is the second bsjf that I've owned over the years.

Currently, I have the tank going in the right direction, especially after massive water changes. I haven't replaced any corals yet, and I still have a deep sand bed in hopes of getting another one sometime in the spring, when the weather warms up.

Take Care
Basser1

Basser1

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/5889/ddbsjf.png
Hey All..... Good to see new additions. Well sadly, 2011 is starting out bad for me. My tank that I have had going for well over 4 years without any problems crashed right after the first of the year. I had a heater that exploded and I ended up losing several hundreds of dollars of corals and a maxima clam that I had for 4 years. And even worse, I lost Dugger. He is the second bsjf that I've owned over the years.

Currently, I have the tank going in the right direction, especially after massive water changes. I haven't replaced any corals yet, and I still have a deep sand bed in hopes of getting another one sometime in the spring, when the weather warms up.

Take Care
Basser1

6/3/11

UPDATE

Ready????

O.K........ Drum Roll Please.......

Well I'm back in the club!!! I just placed an order tonight from Divers Den for a bluespot. He's blue number 3. I lost my first one due to negligence on my part and my second one to a heater exploded in my tank causing it to crash. I hope to get him on Tuesday.

In the meantime, here's a pic of him taken from Divers' Den web-site:

ddbsjf.png

james211

Hello,

I've had a blue spot for a few months now and I'm so in love, and completely obsessed with making sure he's happy. I've had a few concerns though, and most recently become more concerned. As soon as I acclimated him he dug a hole and he's still in the same relative area, he's only moved once, but the two holes were connected. In general though, as soon as the lights started to go down, typically once the white's of my LED were off, he would seem to get stressed and go up and down in the tank, and I'd hear splashes here and there as though he was trying to jump. This goes on every night for a few hours, but never during the day. Any thoughts? Now most recently I've become more concerned as I noticed that his tail is completely frayed. None of the other occupants have ever bugged him, in fact they stay pretty clear. I have no crabs other than a few small hermits and he keeps them away. The only change to the tank recently was the addition of a six line wrasse and two firefish. My tank is 34 gallons, maybe the two additions are stressing him out? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

We love pics :dance:

Hope some members of the club can advise...

AJ REEF

I had a bluespot in my previous setup (150) I lost it due to it putting it's head into the intake of a maxijet :(.

I have a larger display now and hope to add one or if possible a pair of bluespots.

Spirofucci

Wow, just went through every page, lol. Took me over a week. Great thread!!!!! It's very hard to find up to date accurate info on these wonderful creatures! IMO the best info is here on this thread. I think this thread has dispelled some myths as well.

If any of you club members are still out there, I'm seriously considering one for the near future in which case I'll be asking olot of questions!

Thanks so much.

-mark

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Beautiful fish !

here the syntax for a pic 1st [ removed so you can see it

IMG]http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/Tleon45/20130114_124709_resized_zps4f11b06d.jpg[/IMG]

20130114_124709_resized_zps4f11b06d.jpg

just right click on your pic, to get the url

Spirofucci

Soooo, does anybody have any BSJ's anymore?????

I'm seriously considering getting two at the same time in the near future!!!

Billerbong

I am brand new to this forum and very new to the hobby. I had been researching this for years and upon graduating from college and moving into my first house with steady pay I decided to take the plunge! I have a 29 gallon nanocube with the LEDs and 30 pounds of live rock, and a bunch of live sand with varying grain sizes. I believe my sand bed is 4 inches at the deepest part.... I have always thought bsjf are way cool so I was planning my tank for these guys. My aqua scape is more of a horse shoe with a large open area in the middle. Tonight I smash a bunch of extra live rock with a hammer into many different pieces and sizes (1cm to 2 inch).

So my tank has been up and runni g now for two months with perfect chemistry so on a whim I called my LFS to ask if they had any... To my surprise he said we have an order of 4 coming in tomorrow. So I am trying to get everything prepared and make sure I am up for this, I have read probably 30 pages of this forum but still have some basic questions.
1) is 4 in sand bed okay? I have read they need 7
2) how often do I need to feed? I have read three times a day and other places said daily
3) diet: seems the most common food is mysis shrimp soaked in garlic? Has anyone given them pellets or flakes?
4) vacation: I asked about pellets because if I do every take a trip is there any way I can use a battery powered auto feeder for him?
5) as I have no corals beyond random things the live rock came with I can lower my temp a lot. I have read mid to low 70s is this ideal?
6) tank mates eventually: I know no critters with similar body shapes, but can u guys give me ideas for my tank I guess people typically put 4 or5 fish in a 29 gallon. Ps never mentioned it but I have two oscellaris clowns that cycled the tank both are less than one inch long.

Haha that might be it for my questions for now. The store told me they would hold the fish for a week to make sure he's healthy and there's a 15 day guarantee. Would you say this is the right time and I should go for it. I was told bsjf should be my first fish so now one picks on him, though cant be the first but I figured before I got all my others.

I can't wait to hear everyone's feedback glad I joined this forum! If I can figure it out I will post pics of my tank.

Thanks,
Nikki

ReefApprentice

Biller 1) my jawfish is fine with a 3-4 inch deep sandbed 2) i feed once everyday around 6 oclock.The feeding mainly regulates what type of fish,the alage problems,and the type of food you feed. 3) I feed brine and mysis on some days and flake on others.I also will sometimes add a nori clip for my blenny.Garlic does help a fishs immume system i belive but i havent tried it yet. 4) I would guess yes but those things get expenisve.I talked to the lead biologist at the Florida aquarium last night and he was looking to get one to feed daliy. 5)nano can help you with that but i would guess keep it between 72-78° F . 6)the jawfish and clowns should get along fine but gobies and blennies are the ones i would suggest.