The Bluespot Club

bluespotjawfish

___________________FRONT PAGE NEWS___________________
BlueSpotted_Jawfish_outline_type_-1.jpg

Opistognathus rosenblatti - Come on, you know you want one...If you have one post a pic in your photo gallery so it can be added to our front page news, and then add an entry to this thread! No imitations please (except zebra and a few others). If you don't have one and want one, read about other reefer's experiences here first.

*Is this your first time here? Do you want some pertinent information concerning the Blue Spot jawfish, but don't want to read through this whole thread? Then here are some permalinks of relevant tid bits, literature research and information about this fascinating species!

Post #227 http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/saltwater-fish/16244-bluespot-club-16.html#post234756
Post #357 http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/saltwater-fish/16244-bluespot-club-24.html#post242167
Post #441 http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/saltwater-fish/16244-bluespot-club-30.html#post245888
Post #609 http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/saltwater-fish/16244-bluespot-club-41.html#post248881
Post #1741 http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/saltwater-fish/16244-bluespot-club-117.html#post321945

Once you have visited, if you find another post that is particularly helpful, please send a PM to Bluespotjawfish so we can add it to the list!

[EDITOR'S NOTE - SORRY, BUT OUR PHOTOSHOW IS NO LONG AVAILABLE, I'M SAD - IF SOMEONE WANTS TO BUILD AN UPDATED ONE LET ME KNOW]

Real Live Members:
Real Live Members currently have a Bluespot and post about their Bluespot's activity or photos frequently. If it has been about 6 months since you posted, you may have been moved to the honorary category. To change your status back, make a post and update us on the progress of your Bluespot.

(Scott - Please hurry back!)

ekovalsky & Jasper
Bluespotjawfish & The Misses - Female with eggs - Yeah!
Lcstorc & Sunshine 3/08 male & Moonshine 9/08 female -
rmlevasseur
gotcha & Bubbles
Anselth & Hadrian
billionzz
Chelsey & Kermit
Freddyk
Joec1111 & Gilbert
Reefersmoke
Bing24
Imakeusitwhenup
Kaiya
DrCooper
RyanG
trichome & Mr Bluespot
GSellers
Sebaypets - 5/09 Reported Spawning Pair of Bluespots - Yeah! Maybe a second pair too!
Krak256 5/09
jaredleejohnson 5/09
Nick801 5/09
st9d 6/09
btime 7/09
BarbMazz & Beeker the Blackcap Jawfish 7/09 & Pebbles II 10/09
vnreef 8/09
Basser1 & Dugger 8/09
srkr1432 (Surprise - I've got two")
TenUhc DW 10/09
D3monic 10/09
Joey Joe 11/09
JMoney628
Jdawg88 11/09
corrado007 & Bubbles
Clownfish158 11/09
jetti1767 12/09

Honorary Members:
AnotherLousy1
Aquaman3680
Big Jay
Bigrockindaddy
Blue_Eyes53813
Bobomonkey
BrothaWolf
BWLR
Catrina
Canadiensfan
chewdoggie
Cracky
cstamper
dekand
Dentoid
DrHank
ekovalsky
FFrankie
galovsredso
Goldenmean
H2OCrazy
hma
Jen
jstorey
Kazzy
Kimoy
KimPossible
klasicb
LSheldon
Mermaid
michael_cb_125
Nervoustime
ninjataco777
Olivert00
owenz
Random_Ryan
Reefer333
saltwaterfarm
Saltwaterfish
seafoodlovers
SeahorseBT
Snelly40
Soulbabel
squaretankguy08
Techno-Vicki
Tonz of fun
Vdituri
Witfull
Woodstock
zy112
30X30

Guests are always welcome!

Some sample pics

Spotty - October, 2007
DSC_0012-13.jpg

Spot - November, 2007
DSCN2744.jpg

Basser's Digger - January 2008
hpim2329js9.jpg
[/quote]

Frank - March, 2008?
Bluespootedjawfish1Medium.jpg

Dirty Harry - March, 2008?
Harry1.JPG

Mr. BJ - March 2008-Sept 2009
P1060905_edited-sm1.jpg

Sunshine - March 28, 2008
IMG_7139.jpg

Bubbles Da Mouth
BSJF5.jpg

Rocky
CIMG3478.jpg

Bob
102_1935_Custom_.JPG

Barney Rubble - April, 2008
SeahorseTank.jpg

Bubbles 2 - May, 2008?
bsjfopenmouth.jpg

Jasper - 4/08
jstorey - 3/08
Reefer333 - 4/08
Jen - 4/08
AnotherLousy1 - 05/08
Cracky - 05/08
dekand - 05/08
Bigrockindaddy - 05/08
Pebbles - 06/08
Hadrian - 6/08
rmlevasseur's BSJF - 6/08
BarbMazz & Bam Bam -7/1/08
seafoodlovers - 7/08
Tonz of fun 7/08
chewdoggie 7/08
Ms. BJ 7/26/08
squaretankguy 8/08
Bob 8/08
gotcha 10/08
Johnike 11/28/08
Kermit 12/08
Jaws 12/08

Last edited:

saltwaterfarm

I'm jealous... I don't have one. But, when I get the 90 up and running, I will!
I love the bluespots, they are the cutest and appear to be loaded with personality! Yours is a cutie!

lcstorc

You just love to torture me don't you? ROFLMAO.
Someday I will be able to join this club. Maybe we can get an addition to our sig as well. I gotta have patience though. LOL Maybe today. We will see if he is still there. If he is I am going to blame it all on you since resisting once again is not likely. :)

bluespotjawfish

I have had a Bluespot in my tank for about 5 years now. The hardest part is the introduction. Similar to Diamondback Gobies, they will jump very high and very fast. They like to commit suicide, and they are not a cheap fish. As a beginner I went through about 4 of them in the course of about a month's time at $100 bucks each before my avatar settled in. He has been worth $1000 to me, so after the initial shock of losing some, he was money well spent. This time around, because I understand them more, I was able to only have to purchase one of them. So, if you can't bare to lose $100, don't buy this fish.

It is important that you introduce them with this understanding and babysit the tank on the day or so after arrival until they dig their hole. Also watch carefully anytime you are working inside the tank. I would not have one in a open top tank. You could probably have one with egg crate or something covering the tank. They like to have some shells around (or small rubble) to build their home. Mine has built a mine shaft out of shells clear to the bottom of the sand bed, and they like to remodel a lot. When they are happy, they will stay put and if you are lucky (like I seem to be), he will be right out front where you can watch him and be entertained all the time. They will jot out of their spot to grab food, but not much else is more exciting than their spot. You need to make sure that food gets within close proximity to them, especially if you have other aggressive eaters because they will go back into their hole when another bigger fish is nearby.

In the past I have been succesful with my tank ran on tap water, which typically meant high alk, high calc, high nitrates, high phospates. I feed a variety of food to all my stuff and he seems to like meaty stuff best, but takes everything. I typically do 10-15% water changes about every 2 weeks. Now I am using RO and for now my WCs are more frequent, but will settle into the same schedule over time. I lost my Bluespot a few weeks ago (poof - disappeared) and have only had my new Bluespot for about a week. Before the old one disappeared, he had moved around to about 3 different homes. For me that is something that tells me he isn't happy. My tank just finished cycling and the process may have been too much, but I never saw any other signs of any problem.

The one I had forever would grab food right out of my hand. He loved me. My new one loves me too, which I am grateful for. I haven't tried feeding him by hand yet and won't because I want him to be very comfortable where he is at.

Ok, so it looks like I am in this club by myself. I am lonely...

By the way... In the past month I have seen several selling for about $140 at the LFS with very dull colors. I got my new one on sale for $90 and his is brightly colored. Personally I would pass up the dull colored ones. The color may come around if fed the right diet, but I like to start healthy and beautiful.

lcstorc

Thanks for the specifics on their care. My tank top is completely covered in egg crate and I have CC and sand mixed as a substrate. I have several other fish who like to dig their own homes (like my engineer goby or my orange spot goby) and I have lots of rockwork for them to dig under. In fact even my clown has dug a trench in his favorite spot.
I have to go to the lfs today anyway so it will really probably come down to timing. If they have one that looks good and is eating I am likely to join the club today. If not then I will wait for a better time. Something tells me that I am going to end up with one of these beautiful characters. It is just a matter of when. :)

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
You guys and your availability lol so lucky! If I asked locally for one they'd say "you want a wuut??" since the power out looks like Ive got 0 pods in sump or tank so wouldnt risk it anyway, have to order another cheato ball next time its available, please keep posting pictures for the deprived.Steve

bluespotjawfish

Locally, they come and go around here. It had been about a year since I saw one, then about a month ago the LFS had 3 or 4 of them. They all sold, and then they got my new baby and posted him ON SALE as well. I am so glad he was there when I needed one. Sometimes you won't realize they have them so you have to ask or look real close. Some of them have them in PVC tubing for their shelter instead of a sand bed.

An alternative (also some more information on care of this fish):

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/jawfishes/bluespotjawfish/

lcstorc

Yours is way better looking than the example they show. I want one with all the orange/yellow and the blue spots. Fortunately or unfortunately one of the stores I frequent almost always seems to have one for just over $100. I would rather buy locally so I can examine the fish somewhat and see it eat in person before buying.
I bet they like the sand way better than the pvc but I have also seen them in stores with the pvc. In fact my favorite lfs had 6 pearly jawfish that all crammed into one piece of pvc. It was pretty cool to look into the pvc and see all the little faces look out at you.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Just got back from my LFS. They don't carry jawfish but will order. However, if I order it I have to be available to pick it up when it comes in because they wont hold it in their tanks at all. I didn't ask why. I guess I'll keep looking.

bluespotjawfish

They won't hold them because they will jump from tank to tank, or to the floor. I like to buy mine locally too, but if I had to order one I would. The photo may not be representative of what they really stock. I think it is sad when I see them using PVC. However, I am tempted to put some in my tank and see how he uses it (or doesn't) when he has a choice. I have seen some elaborate caves from my guy using half clam shells, etc. I love it when he builds the cave up against the glass so you can see all the neat stuff he made.

I'm I still the only member??? Need more temptation??? Think Blue

lcstorc

Well I gave it my best try. Went to all 4 lfs I frequent and nobody had one. 2 Said they should get one in this week so we will see. :(
Had to buy a scrolling frogspawn to drown my misery. :)